• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

garage heater

should work great! the average btu gas furnace in a residential home is around 80k btus.. and for 80 bucks its sure worth a try..i say run it..also if there is a furnace in the garage you could tap a large grill with a volume damper in the base can along with the mr heater

Last edited:
I work out of a tin shed, that's kind of a deflection of the rain. :redneck:
If you don't mind open flame, those Kerosene bullet heaters do well.
I use a 2 burner propane heater near the door, & Carhart up. Plus, Halogen lights under the rig take the edge off.

The one you posted works well for indoors. Drywallers use them alot.

should work great! the average btu gas furnace in a residential home is around 80k btus.. and for 80 bucks its sure worth a try..i say run it..also if there is a furnace in the garage you could tap a large grill with a volume damper in the base can along with the mr heater

If there was a furnace in the garage.... we wouldn't be having this conversation. :D
Furnaces don't heat the same way. "forced air distribution" is different from "radiant" heating. But you want to be careful about blowing carbon monoxide around the room. Unless you want to check out doing what you really love doing.:awesomework:

i have a kerosene/diesel torpedo tube heater. It kicks ass. But once its off, its off and no mo heat. SO i point it at the steel bin so it heats all the steel up. Then when its off the hot steel keeps heating the shop. Its loud tho. I have a furnace too, so I just use the torpedo to take th eedge off and then enjoy the QUIET furnace after that.

I was in the same boat a few years back. I looked and read and looked and read.

Came to the conclusion that propane SUCKS indoors unless its a furnace style heater where the exhaust NEVER mixes with interior air.

Prepare to have moisture all over ANY metal, plastic, glass or anything that is glossy or solid if using propane.

That heater yoyu linked SUCKS the oxy right out of your mouth. Its VERY loud. It needs a clear area too. And they suck the fuel down. And it cools off fast inside when its off.

I got my torpedo here in the for sale section for $75. Its a 150,000 or 200,000? its the big one and has a digi thermostat too.

How is kerosene?

Smelly but not as 'deadly'?

Any sort of heater I can put in the window that will pull fresh air, heat it up and vent out the back?

I'd be willing to pay more for something I dont cough and have to worry about passing out. :haha:

How is kerosene?

Smelly but not as 'deadly'?

Any sort of heater I can put in the window that will pull fresh air, heat it up and vent out the back?

I'd be willing to pay more for something I dont cough and have to worry about passing out. :haha:

I dont use kerosene, I just run diesel thru it. I dont open ****, I want the heat inside.

If you run it "out" then the last puf out of the hetaer will be like a truck rollin coal. Then you hafta open the door and let the smell/haze out.

So I just make sure its always got fuel.

A good benefit is diesel can be had at the gas station up the road, any time alot easier than buying a propane tank and getting it filled..

How long would 5 gallons last?

A good benefit is diesel can be had at the gas station up the road, any time alot easier than buying a propane tank and getting it filled..

How long would 5 gallons last?

MIne has a ten gallon tank, I rarely ever fill it. Just 5 at a time. Ive never ran it from full to empty, but its doesnt eat much fuel.During the winter I hardy ever use 5 gallons a month. I only use it to get the shop upto about 50-60 then turn on my furnace. My shop is 24x36 with 14 foot cielings. It gets HOT in the loft! I could use a cieling fan.
It has a turbo fan that stokes the fuel up for more heat intensity and distribution of heated air.

The heater you were looing at relys on propane pressure to deflect against a burner arrangement and uses the fuel as the only way of causing turbulance, stoking it up. LOUD and LOTS of fuel consumption. And without a fan, it will just let the heat rise and be gone.

Notice the requirements? 100 lb tank minimum!

I have the 100k diesel bullet heater for my garage. Im insulated/rocked on the walls, but just rocked on the ceiling. It will heat my 24x24 garage up in about 5 minutes. Smells ever so slightly like diesel however, and talk about MOISTURE! It heats the garage up so fast, that the water in the air condenses to everything almost instantly. It was almost raining in there the other day!

Propane doesnt have as nasty a smell, but unless its catalytic, you still need outside air. I have a doggy door, and I back my heater right up to it, so I pull outside air for combustion without letting too much of my heat escape.

Its the "uninsulated" part thats killing you. My rental house has a fully insulated (roof/walls) garage and garage door, and that garage stays at 60 degrees almost year round! Cool in the summer, warm in the winter. Unless you leave the door open all day.

Notice the requirements? 100 lb tank minimum!

I have the 100k diesel bullet heater for my garage. Im insulated/rocked on the walls, but just rocked on the ceiling. It will heat my 24x24 garage up in about 5 minutes. Smells ever so slightly like diesel however, and talk about MOISTURE! It heats the garage up so fast, that the water in the air condenses to everything almost instantly. It was almost raining in there the other day!

Propane doesnt have as nasty a smell, but unless its catalytic, you still need outside air. I have a doggy door, and I back my heater right up to it, so I pull outside air for combustion without letting too much of my heat escape.

Its the "uninsulated" part thats killing you. My rental house has a fully insulated (roof/walls) garage and garage door, and that garage stays at 60 degrees almost year round! Cool in the summer, warm in the winter. Unless you leave the door open all day.

I get NO condensation in my shop with the diesel. NONE.

Does it have anyhting to do with what sin your shop? Like a wet jet boat? haha!

Seriously tho, I have never even gotten a drop on the sheetmetal covered walk in doors or on glass.

???????

I have NO insulation. Walls are sheeted about 10 feet up. I can even see a couple tiny cracks of light on the gable ends where they didnt fit the sheeting the greatest.

I really need to seal up/insulate my shop next.

I get NO condensation in my shop with the diesel. NONE.

Does it have anyhting to do with what sin your shop? Like a wet jet boat? haha!

Seriously tho, I have never even gotten a drop on the sheetmetal covered walk in doors or on glass.

???????

I have NO insulation. Walls are sheeted about 10 feet up. I can even see a couple tiny cracks of light on the gable ends where they didnt fit the sheeting the greatest.

I really need to seal up/insulate my shop next.

The wifes car, and a pair of french doors was all that was in the garage. The boat is out in the shop. We wanted to get a coat of paint on the french doors is why I had the heater in the garage.

I think it boiled down to too much heat in too small of an area, and that area being pretty sealed up. If it had a larger area, and lots of air leaks, I dont think it would have been as bad as it was. I've run that diesel heater in my shop (no insulation, no rock on the walls, lots of air leaks, and 3 times bigger than the garage), and I dont get any moisture out there.

The problem I have in the shop, is that stupid metal roofing grows ice on the inside (even with the ceiling insulation) and then it rains on you as it warms up. Ive talked to some other pole barn owners and its just something I have to deal with until I get it sealed up better, they have it too.