• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Project LSK5 1 Ton Swapped Trail/Street Rig - Knucklehead Garage

BustedKnucklefilms

Pretty Pumped about this new Project Rig. All modern drivetrain, 1 ton swap, and one heck of a test run. Road Trip to Moab, Wheel it, Road Trip back. What could go wrong?

Last edited:
Re:

I'm halfway through this episode. Carter does well in front of the camera and speaks well. I think this will be a great series.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Re:

Awesome episode. I look forward to many more.

That A Bomb piece is sweet but dang it's pricey.

Why did you use the overloads? Why not put graphite or poly between the leafs?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Re:

Pretty cool series look forward to more

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Like the start to the project...its cool that it has a story behind it being owned by a family member and you tracking it down to bring it back from the dead, that alone makes it worth the sweet you will have to put into the build.

Good simple ideas for a reliable rig...as far as drivetrain ideas, how about a LS with a manual with overdrive in keeping with the "simple/reliable" theme . Its easier to change a clutch than get stranded by an automatic that goes out without warning or gets to hot...for example driving to "MOAB" a desert.

And for what its worth my ears are in pain for you....protect your hearing, get yourself some earplugs man...it's NOT worth damaging your hearing over a grinder.

Re: Re: Project LSK5 1 Ton Swapped Trail/Street Rig - Knucklehead Garage

ftoy516 said:
Like the start to the project...its cool that it has a story behind it being owned by a family member and you tracking it down to bring it back from the dead, that alone makes it worth the sweet you will have to put into the build.

Good simple ideas for a reliable rig...as far as drivetrain ideas, how about a LS with a manual with overdrive in keeping with the "simple/reliable" theme . Its easier to change a clutch than get stranded by an automatic that goes out without warning or gets to hot...for example driving to "MOAB" a desert.

And for what its worth my ears are in pain for you....protect your hearing, get yourself some earplugs man...it's NOT worth damaging your hearing over a grinder.
I recently didn't help a buddy work on his rig. I did howerver show up and offer criticism and lots of advice and opinions.

I let him know that my ears were sensitive to loud noises. TBH, I usually get **** for it. He was actually cool and let me know before he fired up the grinder.

Take care of your ears Carter.......good advice from the home team

Re:

lowbudgetjunk said:
I'm halfway through this episode. Carter does well in front of the camera and speaks well. I think this will be a great series.

Thanks, Kel, that's nice to hear. Now if I can just stop saying "uh" all the time! ::)

paradisepwoffrd said:
Awesome episode. I look forward to many more.

That A Bomb piece is sweet but dang it's pricey.

Why did you use the overloads? Why not put graphite or poly between the leafs?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'll agree the A-Bomb is a bit pricey. The B52 kit is much cheaper and will give you the spring hangers, but no bumper or winch mount. We plan to add a winch and some tubing off the bumper, so we went with the A-Bomb. It really is BEEF!

To answer your question about the springs...I don't know. This is my first build of any type of off road vehicle (or any vehicle for that matter). I did arrive at the assumption that 8 leaves was too much for the rear, so I removed 2. I wasn't sure if the overloads were a good or bad thing. Also didn't know putting poly or graphite between the leaves was a thing, I'm going to have to research that! thumb.gif

ftoy516 said:

I have a soft spot for K5s, the fact that this was one my dad drove way back when does make it pretty special for both of us. As far as drivetrain, most definitely LS. A manual trans does fit the KISS method, but I want an auto just for driving convenience. This will be a capable, SAFE, and easy to drive vehicle for myself, the wife, dad, friends, or anyone else to jump behind the wheel. I don't want to give away too many secrets, but I think we're going to throw a 6l80 behind the LS. Reasons for choosing this trans are: super deep first gear, double OD, they hold power well, and it's just cool! Lots more electronics compatibility headaches will arise from this option I'm sure, but I think we can get it done and it'll make for one hell of a swap and a video!

You're not the first person to warn me about ear protection since this video dropped. I'll do better, I promise! Grinder noise honestly has never bothered me. Still, better safe than sorry.

Re:

Hearing loss is cumulative. I hear noises that bother dogs. Blessings or a curse, I'd rather act like I didn't hear something than to actually not hear it

lowbudgetjunk said:
Hearing loss is cumulative. I hear noises that bother dogs. Blessings or a curse, I'd rather act like I didn't hear something than to actually not hear it

I bought a bunch of the "Howard Leight Quiet Band" ear plugs after watching hickok45 gun shooting videos on YouTube.

They are really easy and convenient to wear, and now I use them ALL the time, guns, grinders, mowing, trimming, chain sawing, always have some on or around my neck. You can go from neck to ear with one hand, and that was the biggest advantage to actually using them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love projects like this. Eliminate factory junk. Cut away/wire wheel rust if it is there. Everything that goes back on is better, newer, stronger. Then the pay off is the before and after. I did this a lot with cherokees. It was the bridge to going the buggy route eventually.

Great video you guys. I don't need a multipurpose rig currently, but if I had nothing but time I would enjoy building and selling projects like this.

Watched the video during lunch today and really enjoyed seeing something different being built up. Definitely keep updating.

Re: Re:

CTA791 said:
I'll agree the A-Bomb is a bit pricey. The B52 kit is much cheaper and will give you the spring hangers, but no bumper or winch mount. We plan to add a winch and some tubing off the bumper, so we went with the A-Bomb. It really is BEEF!

To answer your question about the springs...I don't know. This is my first build of any type of off road vehicle (or any vehicle for that matter). I did arrive at the assumption that 8 leaves was too much for the rear, so I removed 2. I wasn't sure if the overloads were a good or bad thing. Also didn't know putting poly or graphite between the leaves was a thing, I'm going to have to research that! thumb.gif

The liner or graphite helps the leafs slide along each other and you can get more travel out of the leaf typically.

Overloads aren't a bad thing, but they don't do much to effect spring rate; basically a short block. Many times they hang up on rocks. When I have kept them in the past, I cut the leaf off past the ubolts to keep them from hanging up. If the k5 might be towing or hauling enough gear to flatten the springs, they might be worth keeping.

I like the idea of the 6l80 or 90 behind the LS. Should make for a vehicle that is still able to cruise down the highway and hit the trails. I dont think the electronic issues will be that big of a deal if you keep everything gen4 and run the factory harness and ecm it shouldnt be that difficult

Love the build, K5's are how I got started almost 20 years ago.

Who's springless cap is that on the passenger side of the 60?

Check out the A-Bomb getting some coverage! I bet yall didn't know a Hardline member designed that! I had Kert build the first one for me years ago. He's been selling them ever since. I'm still wheeling it. I'd be interested in tagging along on the Moab trip if I can make it work.

Re: Re: Project LSK5 1 Ton Swapped Trail/Street Rig - Knucklehead Garage

cdemart2 said:

I had a 75 K5 in 1996, but it was my second 4 by. I was rocking a limited slip, and 32 AT duelers.....bitch was bad.

Bumpers said:
I like the idea of the 6l80 or 90 behind the LS. Should make for a vehicle that is still able to cruise down the highway and hit the trails. I dont think the electronic issues will be that big of a deal if you keep everything gen4 and run the factory harness and ecm it shouldnt be that difficult

That's the plan as of now, try to pull a complete gen IV drivetrain with all electronics. I don't want the headache of trying to mix and match parts.

cdemart2 said:

Ruffstuff cap and high steer arm.

CTA791 said:
That's the plan as of now, try to pull a complete gen IV drivetrain with all electronics. I don't want the headache of trying to mix and match parts.

What t case are you planning to run?