• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Garage Storage

Jeepless

Sleep deprived and proud
Right now I have a bunch of shelves. Cheap, unorganized and I want to upgrade this summer when I insulate.

I need options, I might even be prone to add cabinets if I can find some cheap/free older out of a kitchen.

I have never been too organized, but the older I get the more frustrated I get when I can't find my own ****.

What are you doing or are planing on doing. I see alot of guys with shops either in the works or already standing.....please share.

I'm in the same boat as you. My Garage is cramped and a mess. I dont think I'll ever get this one figured out. :mad:

Your 1st step is to reduce clutter.

If you have something in a box that you have not used in over 12 months think about selling it, giving it away or burning it.

You'll have a lot less to organize...

Your 1st step is to reduce clutter.

If you have something in a box that you have not used in over 12 months think about selling it, giving it away or burning it.

You'll have a lot less to organize...

You were the first person that i thought of when I started the "re-org". :haha: I actually made a comment outloud about your mad organization skilz.....my wife thinks I am crazy.

I found parts for ford 9s...and I don't even have one anymore.....

I am working on selling the junk I don't need and givinging it away if no one buys and the just tossing it. The rest I will still need a good organization method.

When I first bought this place, I marched my happy butt down to IKEA, and purchased wood shelving components the GORM system, they have various sizes and mix and match sized shelving etc. I lined the entire wall system with them of vairous height and depth shelving, bolted the son of a monkeys uncle to the wall, and utilized bins to store items.

on bay 1, the jeep bay I have automotive and camping gear, along with tools, and my swanky roll a way tool chest. on bay 3's side I have gardening equipment, along with the requisite side by side fridge, aptly named as the 'beer' fridge, and auxillary costco supplies.

Along the back wall of bay 2 and 3 I have a cabinet for miscellaneous pet storage such as crates and random large equipment storage including the riding mower, and things like the turkey fryer and large coolers that wont fit well with the camping/automotive section.

linky:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30058508

my system works wonderfully, when I am not loaning out space in the garage to store other items for folks, when it makes it complicated to get to the shelving units.:D

When I first bought this place, I marched my happy butt down to IKEA, and purchased wood shelving components the GORM system, they have various sizes and mix and match sized shelving etc. I lined the entire wall system with them of vairous height and depth shelving, bolted the son of a monkeys uncle to the wall, and utilized bins to store items.

on bay 1, the jeep bay I have automotive and camping gear, along with tools, and my swanky roll a way tool chest. on bay 3's side I have gardening equipment, along with the requisite side by side fridge, aptly named as the 'beer' fridge, and auxillary costco supplies.

Along the back wall of bay 2 and 3 I have a cabinet for miscellaneous pet storage such as crates and random large equipment storage including the riding mower, and things like the turkey fryer and large coolers that wont fit well with the camping/automotive section.

linky:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30058508

my system works wonderfully, when I am not loaning out space in the garage to store other items for folks, when it makes it complicated to get to the shelving units.:D

I think I am staying away from the open shelving. Although it is an option.

i might have some cabinets for ya

What do you have? Pics?

PM me with any info and location.

Metal shelving can be had for a reasonable price at Home Depot or Blows (Lowes). If you want specific sizes, Grainger has tons available in their catalog.

I learned the hard way that you can buy metal shelving cheeper than buying the materials to make it.:mad:

I'm going the Grainger route soon.

i agree with starting by getting rid of what you can, that is 1/2 the battle, the other half is keeping it clean.

IF you have the room, pallet racks are sweet, therustyrack in the algona pacific area (you can see them along 167) sells used pallet racks, you can store anything on them, you can get all sizes too, and they are expandable if you need more room, you can configure them to suit your needs. a lot like the racks at costco and sams club.

IKEA racks are a great idea like mentioned above it weight is not an issue.