• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Gas tow diggers

94xjsport94

I wish I knew more
I sold my OBS 7.3 last week and am on the hunt for a new tow rig. Not looking to finance a 30-40k diesel tow rig and DD right now... Putting in my filters of a 09+ 4dr, 4x4, >30k, >100k miles, and a towing package I get a lot of F150's and Chevy 1500's coming up. Anyone have experience with newer gassers? 5.0's, 5.4's, 6.0's, 5.7's, 5.3's blah blah blah. I want to finance through my bank so I can include trading my car in and keep all my cash free for a house down payment, or else I'd just go buy a 30k diesel or something.

Jeep is like 4600lbs ish and trailer is 2300lbs ish. Tow about once a month or so.

I say 09+ because that's what my bank is lending on. I could find financing somewhere else on something like a LBZ Duramax but I don't want a high mile dumpster one like Kush has and would prefer to use my bank so...

Any and all input is appreciated!

I really like my 5.7 tundra, really cheap to own and gets roughly 10mpg towing as hard as I want to. I have no problems keeping up with my buddies diesels on long trips I just need fuel a little more frequently than them due to smaller tank.

Re:

My 5.3 will tow a similar package....but man if you don't time those hills just right it's painful. And this a lesser weight 2wd.

I'm looking into either gearing it and/or cam-tune for more power. Or....if the right 4x4 diesel comes along....

I tow with a 2013 5.4 expedition. I know you're after a pickup but still close enough...

my jeep and trailer are lighter than yours but it does the job. took my 30' camper to AOP with it last weekend.

Used to have a 5.3 tahoe. it did the job too but not nearly as good, in spite of having more HP.

the difference? Expedition is a 6speed, tahoe was a 4.

This transmission in this expedition always finds the right gear and rev range. With the old tahoe if you got 'behind the 8 ball' going up a hill (think that one on the way to GMP from chattanooga), it was dramatic. never gets that way in the ford, and if you are in tow/haul and coasting down a hill and tap the brakes it will downshift for you and give you some engine braking too.

I pull a 4600 lb jeep on a 2k trailer with my 2012 ram 1500 5.7. It has plenty of power but gas mileage sucks when towing and any sort of crosswind at speeds can be a little unnerving. Plus the driver's side mexican wiring installer **** the bed. I'll be going 2500 chevy next time.

Another vote for the tundra I get 13 towing my buggy and I get 11 with the camper in the bed
22ae78bb116da7e51a34c9f1fd76004f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I've had several of the trucks you are talking about, 4 door, 4x4, towing package. They will all slow down on the hills like tonybolton says. Since I don't tow every day, I can deal with it. On the '09 5.3 I had it started burning a quart of oil every 3,500 miles at 75k and making spark plugs go bad. At 115k (after warranty ran out) the dealership told me I needed a new motor! Went around and around with them over it and they would not cover it under warranty even with the issue starting before the warranty ran out. After that I had a 5.4, a 3.5 turbo, and now a 5.0. I like the 3.5 the best, but the 5.0 is not to far behind. My 5.0 is geared much lower, 4.11 vs 3.73, so the fuel millage doesn't even come close on the 5.0. I think the best I've gotten is 18 on the interstate empty with the 5.0 vs 22 with the turbo. Loaded like you will be the 5.3 and 5.0 are fairly close at around 13mpg, the turbo pulling the same load would get 10-11 and drop to 9 if you even thought about hitting many hills.
With all that said, if I don't get a diesel next and upgrade to a bigger camper, I will buy another turbo Ford. I can deal with the bad millage towing once a month for the increase in millage day to day.

Re:

I pulled a similar load with my 05 5.3 and it did just fine. Yeah it liked to drop down a gear and rev on a big hill but it didn't care and it loved it. Only reason I got rid of it was I was having transmission issues and I wanted a heavier truck. Some of the places I wheel are pretty nasty to get into and I was afraid of blowing the rear end apart at times.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

onepieceatatime said:
I pulled a similar load with my 05 5.3 and it did just fine. Yeah it liked to drop down a gear and rev on a big hill but it didn't care and it loved it. Only reason I got rid of it was I was having transmission issues and I wanted a heavier truck. Some of the places I wheel are pretty nasty to get into and I was afraid of blowing the rear end apart at times.

Same thing happened to me. Had an 07 crew cab with 5.3. Towed fine on long hills but if you didnt see that hill coming it would fall on its face. Had around 75,000 miles on it when I sold it and trans had seen better days.

tonybolton said:
My 5.3 will tow a similar package....but man if you don't time those hills just right it's painful. And this a lesser weight 2wd.

I'm looking into either gearing it and/or cam-tune for more power. Or....if the right 4x4 diesel comes along....

EVERYTHING he just said. My 5.3 hates life going up the hill to Hawk Pride. Best we have done is hit it at about 75 at the bottom and end up at about 7-10mph at the top. I never have bothered with checking mpgs cause it is a company truck and I pay personal miles so it doesn't matter to me. I am getting a tow pig of my own because I now have an rzr to pull as well and I just don't see the 5.3 liking that at all. Plus I am the guy that enforces vehicle policies so I have to practice what I preach. (I also buy everybody elses F250 Superduty Crew Cab Lariat Powerstroke company vehicles, but I'm not bitter at all, I love my 2008 156K mile 3rd string 2wd half ton Silverado.) :'( :mad: :dunno:

I have a 2012 F350 with the 6.2 in it. I dont regret getting out of my diesel at all! I get 15 normal driving and 10-11 towing.

F150 ecoboost is suppose to pretty good at towing and excellent gas mileage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.0 in a 3500 HD four door dually, I tow my buggy and sometimes a 39 foot tag along camper, on a long steep hill it will drop down a gear but other than that no issues, noway I could justify spending 10 grand more for a diesel. Plus if my motor goes to bed I can replace it for pennies compared to a diesel.

Let me ask you this, how bad do your trucks squat with a load? My grandpa's 09 dodge 1500 2wd big horn I used before I had my 7.3 squatted like hell in the back towing my Jeep. Wasn't as bad towing his boat but still did a lot more than I cared for.

Re: Re: Gas tow diggers

94xjsport94 said:
Let me ask you this, how bad do your trucks squat with a load? My grandpa's 09 dodge 1500 2wd big horn I used before I had my 7.3 squatted like hell in the back towing my Jeep. Wasn't as bad towing his boat but still did a lot more than I cared for.
Was it a coil suspension rear? Can't remember when they went to it but I know I've heard a lot of guys say they would squat really easy. I'm a Chevy guy so I'm kind of biased but when it comes to gas tow rigs I think they're the only ones to consider. They're just so much cheaper, easier to find parts for and easier to replace if ya needed to. Had a buddy buy a junkyard Hemi once for more than I could buy a brand new gm crate motor for.

Yes, it's coil sprung rear. I started looking at those kits to put on it for him but then I found my 7.3

6.0 with the 4L80 in a dually, cut the cats off stainless headers a super tune with about 25 deg timing and tune the tranny to match!!! I'm telling you it is night and day difference from a stocker. For less than a grand. I pull a 38 foot 5th wheel camper, also have 24 ft gooseneck with camper and rig it pulls GREAT. Its cool to spin the duallys for about 6 ft when it shifts into second also!

Attachments

• TOWRIG2.jpg
    TOWRIG2.jpg
    640.8 KB · Views: 108