• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

GM 6.0L Tunes

nick c

Lewis & Clark bitches!
Anyone using a custom tune on their 6.0L Chevy?

I've got an 03 k2500HD that is pretty much bone stock, and I've waffled over getting a tune. I used to daily drive it to work which is one reason I never did it, but now its just my tow rig and weekend driver.

I picked up a 8' 70's era camper and I tow my 4runner, so I've been thinking more about the tune now that I'll be having the extra weight of the little camper in the bed. The truck always did fine with just the trailer/4runner and all our camping gear piled in the bed.

So who's using which tune? Anyone to stay away from?

I sent PM's to various guys on Pirate and the fullsizechevy forum asking what I can expect with a tune and here is a direct quote from one vendor:

"You would really benifit and like the truck more with a tune."

:haha:

Seriously, that tells me nothing. So I'm looking for some real world experience...good and bad.

I should be getting my pcm back from the guys ay pcmforless.com tomorrow. But with a new engine and missing some accessories, I can't really do a before and after. Something to look into at least.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/motor-tranny-t-case-performance/924402-gm-pcm-tunes-150-life.html

He is local, Eastern Washington. I doubt you will benefit much from a tune, with everything else stock. Maybe to some small stuff, exhaust and intake etc and then have him clean up the map a little.

Thanks, he's actaully the guy I'm quoting above. :redneck: I see lots of positive responses on Pirate for him and he truley does stand behind his work from what I read.

So I'm not knocking him on his quality just on his sales pitch. :D

I used superchips on my 6.0. You could tell a little bit of increased engine performance but had to use high octane. The best advantages were in the tranny. I firmed up and changed my shift points, big difference. I adjusted my rev limiter and deleted the 100mph limit and readjusted my speedo for tires. It was worth it for the tranny mods and to get a code reader.

i know a guy in lake stevens who does HP tuners...he did the 8.1 in my gmc..he is a friend of mine and i am 100% confident in his abilitys. would recommend him to anyone..it will be a custom tune for your truck..he takes the time to drive around with you to taylor the tune to your truck..

Latest posts