• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Going Scaler X-trail style

wheelinjp

Well after attending a scaler comp with hotrodjosh and a bunch of others Ive gone scaler. I ordered up an X-trail chassis from tscrawlers and started on my blazer body. I got the body trimmed out and the chassis assembled today. Next will be the rollcage, bumpers and sliders. then the interior next. I got some seats on e-bay and got some axes and an extinguisher too. this is addicting. next will be the tow rig and trailer builds. that will likely be a proline dodge megacab body to match my real one.

scaler3-1.jpg

scaler2-1.jpg

scaler1-1.jpg

SD530796.jpg

SD530795.jpg

SD530797.jpg

:rockon:,didnt you buy my nylints a year a so ago ?

:hi: yess that was me and time flies cause I bought them from you 3 years ago. I just sold all my nylint stuff for $100bucks. I had alot of fun with those too. I thought I saw you at the comp at Kanaskit state park, but wasnt sure. Josh said you were the guy running the VW bus scaler. I showed up with my ax10 with a burnt orange trimmed up 72 chevy truck. that was alot of fun.:awesomework:here is the ax-10 I showed up with. the second pic is my supermod rig I bought first to get into crawling last month. unfortunately im using a few parts from it to run my ax-10. I need to buy a new esc and radio for the scaler so I can put the super back together.

SD530786.jpg

SD530777.jpg

Last edited:
so I built the front bumper today. tried to fashion it after the ORD bumper. I used 3/16 solid rod so its easier to oxy acet. weld it together. I left room for a winch as well. Next is the rocker protection.

0411091726.jpg

0411091727a.jpg

0411091727b.jpg

looks good man.:awesomework: i bought the same kit a while ago and im very happy with, i just need to get some better shocks.

Right on Sean!
Did you find any of the puke yellow paint yet????
You're done man.....over, caput.....pretty soon you'll have a few of these "toys"...haha!

Hahaha.....I blew the rearend out of my Green 'Yota Sat. Just like the real thing man....little money pits...haha!

Look at the color of the truck in my avitar, should be close to what you are after.TAMIYA makes it, dont recall the exact color.That was backed in white, if you need it darker back it in black

Look at the color of the truck in my avitar, should be close to what you are after.TAMIYA makes it, dont recall the exact color.That was backed in white, if you need it darker back it in black

I ended up getting some bright yellow made by pactra. it is very close, a little more orange than the 1 to 1 but very close. It might lighten up with the white backing. Man I need to find the zen within to deal with trying to paint the trim on the inside of these plastic bodies. I called it good and am spraying the color. Its my first one so Im not too critical. Ive been looking at different places for the bodies, keeping an eye out for the tow rig idea. I want to do the megacab dodge from proline, but after dealing with this lexan body, Im hesitant. First I need to finish the blazer though, haha addicting. I started on the rear bumper last night. I picked up some styrene plastic sheets today to start building the interior too. I want to build the cage, and interior on the chassis so all I have to do with the body is set it on and pin it.

HPIM1045.jpg

HPIM1046.jpg

HPIM1047.jpg

found this today at goodwill for $3.99 its 1/6th scale. new home for the clod axles I think.
HPIM1049.jpg

HPIM1048.jpg

Last edited:
Ok not much new but I did start on the rear bumper. it is mounted to the frame and the body is at its height it will stay at now. I can finally start on the floor and interior along with the cage. But first I need to finish the bumper and rock sliders.

HPIM1052.jpg

HPIM1053.jpg

HPIM1055.jpg

A scaler--uh oh, now you are screwed :D

Nice work so far sean :awesomework:

If you continue on the tube work, I would suggest going with 3/16" brake line and get some map gas. Its easier to work with and I found it easier to braze than solid.

A scaler--uh oh, now you are screwed :D

Nice work so far sean :awesomework:

If you continue on the tube work, I would suggest going with 3/16" brake line and get some map gas. Its easier to work with and I found it easier to braze than solid.
is the map gas the yellow bottle? I have a few blue bottles of gas. Ive never learned to braze. I have a bunch of brass rod though. Came with my oxy/acet. set up. I have some 3/16th brakeline but it just cracked when I heated it to bend it tight. That was how I ended up with the 3/16th solid rod. I will get some map gas and try brazing.

did some more detail work on the grill and headlights tonight. I used pinstripe and black paint.

scaler4.jpg

scaler5.jpg

compared to the first try. here is the before pic.

HPIM1045.jpg

Last edited:
Blue bottles are propane and will also work fine for brazing tubing.Mapp gets a little hotter so it helps the "flow" on the thicker materials and solid stock.

Blue bottles are propane and will also work fine for brazing tubing.Mapp gets a little hotter so it helps the "flow" on the thicker materials and solid stock.

thanks. so isnt montana this weekend? When is the next scaler comp locally? I want to enter in it if my rig is done. Also do you guys have a 2.2 scaler class?

Yeah...there's 1.9 and 2.2 classes. No "comp" in May...all the "cool" kids will be in Montana.
Check out the WARCRC site Sean....there's a GTG forum. There's "talk" of a scale get together for us guys that can't make it to the Nats.

Bumpers look good man!

One of these weekends when the weather is nice, we should get back up to Scott's place....and actually run the courses, instead of the MAYHEM that was last time on the "hill"...haha! :haha: