• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

GPS what do you have?

Eric

Looking into a gps.

Best bang for buck?
What do you have? what do you like about it? dont like about it?

I am thinking I want one with maps installed and smaller the better. Water resistant is a must. Interface with a computer would be nice if it gives me anything.

Any input? Links to good ones that are still on sale?

I have an old Garmin eTrex Vista (before they were color). I wish the batteries lasted longer. It does all of what you want.

Whatever you get, check out GPS Visualizer for some cool tools that you can use with your tracks.

I have an old Garmin eTrex Vista (before they were color). I wish the batteries lasted longer. It does all of what you want.

Whatever you get, check out GPS Visualizer for some cool tools that you can use with your tracks.

Thanks for the link Glenn, I was looking at the eTrex line there are just way to many choices. Trying to narrow down what I really need.

But yes battery life is a big consideration.

I have a Garmin Rino 120. Very good GPS. It has a built in two way FRS, and it also has tracking for other Rino users (meaning, when they use thier radio, they get a tag put on your map where they are) They are very water resistant, and if you buy the map pack, have very detailed maps. Too bad my dog ate the antenna off mine.:mad:

I have a Garmin Rino 120. Very good GPS. It has a built in two way FRS, and it also has tracking for other Rino users (meaning, when they use thier radio, they get a tag put on your map where they are) They are very water resistant, and if you buy the map pack, have very detailed maps. Too bad my dog ate the antenna off mine.:mad:

I was looking at those, and they seam cool but the added expense of the radio seams like a waste.

How many people do you know that also have the rhinos? how many do you see on the map?

I was looking at those, and they seam cool but the added expense of the radio seams like a waste.

How many people do you know that also have the rhinos? how many do you see on the map?

I have a few of the Rino 530HCx and they are great, we pack into the wilderness areas while Elk hunting and they work really good, not sure how many people you can have on it, but we usually have four or five that we can track where each other are at and you don't have to worry about having anyone get lost, plus I downloaded the topo maps on them.

For batteries I use rechargeable NIMH batteries. I very rarely purchase alkaline batteries.

And I think Garmin has improved the processor in their units so they consume less power than the older ones

Most of the people in our hunting group do. And you can see as many people as are in radio range I believe.

They are compatable with all the other Garmin radio's too.

Garmin 60Cs......for mapping.

These are the same as the Rino, but without the radio, I don't think they are making them anymore though.

Edit: Nevermind, I just checked and they are still making them, just not that model :redneck:

Last edited:
I have a Garmin GPS Map 60 CSX.

Great unit and would suggest it to anyone :awesomework:

If i was to buy one now, i would het the Colorado or the Oregan. They are awsome and i love the touch screen. The 3D map on them is nothing short of amasing.

Magellan are Ok but are better to be used on water (blue chart)

I have a lawrance i hunt, its pretty cool, built specifically for hunters , AND ITS FOR SALE!!!! I like it alot, but I was able to get my hands on a garmin that was pre-loaded with all state land in seperate color so that when some jack@$$ tree hugger tries to tell me i'm hunting on private , I can tell him to pi$$ up a rope! P.s. I bought my i hunt for $250, and its in good shape, and will sell for $150 firm, with a how to video

I have 2 suggestions....

1) Is the Garmin Nuvi 500, it is a basic model but has alot of features and has never let me down in the field or in the city... Check Ebay for a good used one or buy new and save big bucks...

2) Is a laptop/notebook option that needs a GPS Reciver, I use the GlobalSAT BU-353, the software is called "Overland Navigator" it comes with great mapping software for each state you want, leaves good tracks, and you can mark different waypoints that interest you...This option lets you map out in advance your end point and will get you there...

Good luck

Last edited:
I have 2 suggestions....

1) Is the Garmin Nuvi 500, it is a basic model but has alot of features and has never let me down in the field or in the city... Check Ebay for a good used one or buy new and save big bucks...

2) Is a laptop/notebook option that needs a GPS Reciver, I use the GlobalSAT BU-353, the software is called "Overland Navigator" it comes with great mapping software for each state you want, leaves good tracks, and you can mark different waypoints that interest you...This option lets you map out in advance your end point and will get you there...

Good luck

I have and can hook up my gps to my lap top and track where i am with the mapping software i have. It is awsome to see where you are on a large scale 3D map :awesomework:

I've got a Garmin Rino 130....works well; have the Topo USA software to download specific area I plan on going/hunting....The FRS radio is a nice feature...as well as the tracking of others using the same (or similar) unit, right up until you have 10 different contacts down the side of the screen!:mad: (can't hardly see the map, unless you eliminate the contact bar...)...Still a very good GPS...but there are other more user friendly ones out there...just depends on just what you plan to use the GPS for...

My wife and I each have Nuvi's in the vehicles. Mine has the traffic monitoring feature, which is OK at best.

On the trail and on the water my Garmin 276c is SCHWEET. Garmin TOPO and Blue Chart maps on it. I did 10 days on my boat in the San Juans last year and that thing save my butt and probably a lot of fuel. Those islands all look alike when you're not an experience navigator and not familiar with the area.

On the trail, the GPS are useless unless you can do tracings and maps. The 276C allows me to record and store the trails along with waypoints like intersections, bridges etc. I have more mapping to do but I have most of Elbe done and hope to have Evans Creek done before the snow flies this year.

I do use the external roof mounted antennae for the best reception. Accuracy is typically 7-10 feet on this model. I have it mounted on the ceiling on my trail rig, I have a solid mount on our big boat and one on the little boat for scooting around Lake Tapps. I use it mostly to keep track of where friends live so that I know from the water which house is theirs. We've taken that boat to Seattle a number of times on the sound and coming back at night, the GPS is a MUST.

On our bigger boat we hope to install a GPS with an autopilot function. Traveling at 10mph is boring and I'd rather sit down below on on the deck, having a cold one or playing cards, that sitting in the crappy chair for 12 hours to go from Tacoma to Friday Harbor.

All good info, please keep it coming.

Right now the top of my list is the Garmin 60csx model and get the topo and the rec maps at this point.

I dont want just a street gps, I want one I can take out to the middle of know where and find my way back.