• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Help pick my future engine/tranny

Nuzzy

So here's the deal... Last time my rig was wheeled, the engine severely overheated quite possibly killing it. For now the jeep is out of commission until after weif and I move and get settled in back in MI. If my 258 is in fact dead, I want to start getting ideas of what engine/tranny I should be looking for.

I will want a V8, preferrably carbed since all my propane gear should be able to swap right over (except for a new mixer). I never thought I'd say this, but I think I actually want to go to the dark side and get an auto (reverse manual valve body). Also, for monetary reasons will be keeping my D300 so whatever combo I get will need to mate up with that (whether directly or with adapter).

For those that don't know, I have a 107" wb CJ7 with 1-tons and 42s. Currently 4:1s in the D300 and 4:56s in the axles (eventually 5.38s). I have no problems cutting into the firewall or tub to make things fit.

So who has thoughts and suggestions? I don't need crazy HP and money is an issue so I rather steer towards parted out vehicles/wrecking yards.

I didn't say what order things would be in... Just that in the FUTURE, I was curious about engine/tranny choices :redneck:

I gotta have something to look forward to... :flipoff:

Meany.... :kiss:

... I'll leave your tech thread now.... :booo:

Passenger drop? GM or *gasp* Dodge drivetrain.

Yeah, I'll be keeping the pass drop front axle. I'm fine with tucking the engine/tranny closer to the driver framerail and/or cocking it slightly to get my front driveshaft to clear if that would get me the clearance I need to make chevy or ford options work. But you're right, may be easier to not have to take those steps...

Yeah, I'll be keeping the pass drop front axle. I'm fine with tucking the engine/tranny closer to the driver framerail and/or cocking it slightly to get my front driveshaft to clear if that would get me the clearance I need to make chevy or ford options work. But you're right, may be easier to not have to take those steps...

Its an easy deal nuzz :awesomework:

Its an easy deal nuzz :awesomework:

Basically my plan will be to position my drivetrain exactly where it needs to be to give a true flat belly and clear my front ds, then lower the body back down and cut away where needed to make it work.

So we've got the chev 350/th350 combo as a popular choice...

Anything from the ford side? dodge?

Fords are all driver's drop. I can't remember offhand if the D300 is easily adaptable to Ford autos.

I don't know about the adaptability of the D300 to a TF 904/727 auto... but pre 1994 Dodge were driver's side drop. 318s are plentiful and very durable motors. And they aren't a chevy. :D

If you went Mopar, you can get an easy 11:1 comp 318 that would be great for 'pane. IIRC the recipie is a mid 80's cop car 318 with standard small chamber 2 barrel 318 heads. The cop motors were forged piston and roller cam.

Last edited:
Nuzzy

Go AMC. The AMC line of V8s have the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the 258. Making them a direct bolt on to the transmission you already have. All you need is a set of motor mounts and some exhaust work. AMC's develop reasonable horsepower and torque.

T

Fords are all driver's drop. I can't remember offhand if the D300 is easily adaptable to Ford autos.

I don't know about the adaptability of the D300 to a TF 904/727 auto... but pre 1994 Dodge were driver's side drop. 318s are plentiful and very durable motors. And they aren't a chevy. :D

If you went Mopar, you can get an easy 11:1 comp 318 that would be great for 'pane. IIRC the recipie is a mid 80's cop car 318 with standard small chamber 2 barrel 318 heads. The cop motors were forged piston and roller cam.

doesne't matter if ford is driver drop or not. He's still using his tcase, which is passenger drop.

Nuzzy

Go AMC. The AMC line of V8s have the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the 258. Making them a direct bolt on to the transmission you already have. All you need is a set of motor mounts and some exhaust work. AMC's develop reasonable horsepower and torque.

T

I'm not counting out AMC at all. But I specifically DON'T want the T5 transmission I already have... tick... tick... tick... BOOM