• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Help pick my future engine/tranny

Why not go 5.0(302)/c4 or c6? Or even a 289/c4 or c6? Even if you found a efi motor you could pull it off and sell it to recoupe some cost and swith back to 'pane

if you go AMC you can use a 727 tranny. Losts of after market support and they are pretty tough. They get used in drag racing applications a lot.

Personally I would go the SBC/TH350 route. 5.0/C6 depending on available stuff

Right, but adapting passenger drop t-cases to ford tranys is a PITA.

Hmmmm... What sort of issues create problems?

Bunk,

You have a 5.0/c6/atlas with pass drop front. What issues did you have making it work? Or was it a moot point since atlas' were engineered to be more adaptable...? (although I thought they were designed somewhat after D300s...)

ding ding on which part...? atlas more adaptable than D300? atlas based on D300? or both?

Atlas---don't bother doing a flip kit on a 300 or Mi ght end up with a box shipped from back east with a note "can you put this damn thing together" :haha:

Atlas---don't bother doing a flip kit on a 300 or Mi ght end up with a box shipped from back east with a note "can you put this damn thing together" :haha:

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :redneck:

One thing I KNOW is that I won't be changing my front axle, so pass drop 300 it will remain :D

But what I was saying about Bunk's is that he has a ford engine/tranny with a pass drop atlas. Since Totalled was saying there could be issues mating that engine combo to a pass drop Xfer, I wanted to figure out where and what those issues might be. I'm assuming maybe oil pan, starter, that sort of thing...?

I'm partial to 5.0L...coupled with a C4 and an Atlas.

The Chevy route would work well too.

I know I've talked to Bunk about this before but I think I was pretty drunk...

Refresh my memory on the difference between C4 and C6. I think I know C6 is longer...

Hmmmm... What sort of issues create problems?

Ford transmissions use different output spline counts than the common passenger drop cases. So, it's a PITA usually to adapt a common factory t-case.. the atlas is built to order, so it's much easier, but a harder hit on the wallet.

I think. :eeek:

Anyway, ford C4/C5 is 25 (Ranger) or 28 (EB) spline output, and C6 4x4s are 31 spline output.

An Atlas also has better spacing for driveshaft clearance.

Since you moving to Michigan.... you may want to consider something less crawl and more 'go fast'. Silver Lake is supposed to be a blast and your rig with about 450 HP could be fun.

Since you moving to Michigan.... you may want to consider something less crawl and more 'go fast'. Silver Lake is supposed to be a blast and your rig with about 450 HP could be fun.

I'm building the rig for rest of the country use, since MI wheeling is pitifull at best :booo:

I will be trucking down to TN and NC, over to South Dakota, and hopefully a couple trips a year back west to Moab, NM, AZ...

True though that in the the Southeast there would be the same need for throttle. :cool: