• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Help settle this Cold verses hrew question

kushKrawlin

Was picking up some metal a couple of days ago. The guy there told me cold rolled was A good bit stronger than hot rolled. Quite a bit more expensive also. My question is is it the price, weight or is it that hrew is just plenty strong enuf the reason most every Chassis and Cage i see being made from HOt and not cold?? I've asked a few people, none with a knowledge of some of you. Thanks fellas.

I don't think there are many buggies built out of HREW, it's mainly DOM. I don't know **** about any of it. But George at Angryfab is building a buggy out of all 1.5" diameter HREW as a guinnea pig to prove whether or not it will hold or not. My cage is made from HREW, holds up fine. I don't know anything about the cold rolled stuff

Almost all trail buggies are 95% HREW. DOM does have on less failure point to worry about, but isn't a stronger / more durable material, so I have always wondered if it was really worth it for all but the biggest risk takers / showmen

muddinmetal said:
isn't a stronger / more durable material, so I have always wondered if it was really worth it for all but the biggest risk takers / showmen

I totally disagree with this. DOM tubing is far stronger than HREW. Will HREW work for a cage? Yes. People use it every day, but it is NOT as strong as DOM.

Re: Re: Help settle this Cold verses hrew question

http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?2886-Tubing-Information-(DOM-HREW-CREW-ERW)

This post is a copy/paste of basic engineering data.

The important numbers are Tensile and Yield strength.

Tensile is breaking strength and yield is bending strength.

As you can see, cold working adds a lot of yield strength (toughness), but the actual type of steel (1010/1018/1026) is more important for tensile strength.

That argument will never be settled. HREW is perfectly fine for 95% of the buggies on this site as long as the cage is designed properly. Is DOM stronger, yes. Is cold rolled stronger, hell if know :drinkers:

Re: Re: Re: Help settle this Cold verses hrew question

Neal3000 said:
I know one thing, hrew bends with about half the effort in the bender

Considering the yield strength of 1020 DOM is 70 ksi and 1020 HREW is 32ksi, that statement is very accurate

Re: Re: Re: Help settle this Cold verses hrew question

TBItoy said:
Considering the yield strength of 1020 DOM is 70 ksi and 1020 HREW is 32ksi, that statement is very accurate

Disregard post, misread numbers.

DOM is actually not a type of tubing, but a process that is applied to tubing after it is initially constructed. It is Drawn Over a Mandrel...which "cold works" it, giving more exact dimensions, smoother finich, and better allignment. It is not seamless tubing, and it started life as some sort of EW (electric welded) tubing. The process is all done cold keeping the material stronger and shape uniform.

You also have crew which is cold rolled electric welded

Then hrew which is hot rolled electric welded.

Is dom stronger, yes but will hrew work for most of us, yes. When done properly hrew has worked for us in racing for years.

Randys Rock Rods said:
I totally disagree with this. DOM tubing is far stronger than HREW. Will HREW work for a cage? Yes. People use it every day, but it is NOT as strong as DOM.

You are correct, I guess I didn't express that the way I was thinking. I ment the material is the same, the process and the resulting finalized product are not

Re: Re: Help settle this Cold verses hrew question

Y'all be tripping. Black iron makes best cages. If its good for gas and **** pipes its got to be good for brain protector.

I built mine out of HREW, and built a Jeep buggy out of DOM. I would wager mine would hold up just as good in a hard roll because of all the triangulation in it. It has to protect my kids so yes, I trust it with my life and the life of my kids.

Actually, HREW is made from a lesser grade steel-1010
DOM is made from 1020, which has a higher tensile strength and resist more against bending.

The biggest noticeable difference i've seen between the two is, after a rollover, HREW will 'flatspot' alot easier than DOM. An HREW cage will hold up structurally fine, if it's built right. But if you want a chassis that won't look like its 10yrs old after a year of beating on it, spend a little extra coin and get DOM.

Coming from a engineering\contract manufacturer's viewpoint, DOM is normally used for tight tolerance & clearance situations in assemblies. As previously stated, DOM is just the process to fine tune the tubing into a consistent, finite dimensional type of tubing. Any time you have either another tube or machined part going inside the DOM, there will be no interference due to lack of weld seam. If you've ever tried to install a weld bung in HREW, you know it's a pain in the ass. Same thing with square tube, as it's usually referred to as Telspar tubing (or no visible seam weld, i.e. hitch tubing).

The initial material type creates the standard strength, then the other processes just fine tune it dimensionally & yes, can make it stronger. I don't want dented up tubing in high contact areas, so I'm using a thicker wall DOM in those areas only. HREW will work perfectly fine for all other areas. I'm also using the thicker DOM in areas such as coilover & drivetrain component mounts, just for piece of mind.

Re: Help settle this Cold verses hrew question

Neal3000 said:
I know one thing, hrew bends with about half the effort in the bender

Manually bend the same size HREW and then DOM.

There will NEVER be another question in your mind about them. I know you asked about hot and cold HREW, but this is almost as bad as folks bitching about park fees. If you are going to take the time and effort to design and fab something, a couple extra dollars for the "right" material ain't gonna break you. I did use HREW for interior braces, but would not even consider it for anything else on a cage/buggy.

If it does you are pursuing the wrong hobby.

I've had a violent roll in my .120 wall DOM buggy and will use .188 on the hoops and lower/perimeter tubes next time........

Re: Help settle this Cold verses hrew question

pachary said:
Manually bend the same size HREW and then DOM.

There will NEVER be another question in your mind about them. I know you asked about hot and cold HREW, but this is almost as bad as folks bitching about park fees. If you are going to take the time and effort to design and fab something, a couple extra dollars for the "right" material ain't gonna break you. I did use HREW for interior braces, but would not even consider it for anything else on a cage/buggy.

If it does you are pursuing the wrong hobby.

I've had a violent roll in my .120 wall DOM buggy and will use .188 on the hoops and lower/perimeter tubes next time........
So if one cant afford DOM Tubing they are in the wrong hobby. Interesting.