• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Hey Nolen, what is this rear axle?

vanguard

That rock walker guy
Nolen, I'm pretty sure this is a friend of yours. Who made this rear axle and what are the parts from, if anything?

RearSteerBuggy066.jpg

its built by by sunrayengineering.com here in Texas.
heres the build thread http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=311740&highlight=sunray+buggy.

Yep, Jim Alexanders buggy. It was in Crawl an issue or two ago. Ricky B shot it.
Cool as hell guy, banging buggy. We rode with Jim in Clayton a year ago. Good times, that buggy is so SICK! The attention to detail is crazy!.

Jim has Sunray 1610's I believe. 9" center and the rest is custom by Sunray. The u-joints in that thing are insanely huge in person. Really sick axles and sick rig

Standard Dana Spicer 1610 series Ujoint. Used in bread truck driveshafts. 46 spline outers. Nice stuff. First out there with 45* steering.

Hmm, interesting. I hadn't seen that before. I read online that he has $15,000 into that rear axle and as we all know, if you read it on the internet it must be true. ;D

I would hate to know how much that rig cost him. I would bet 6 figures, but when you see it up close you can see that he paid for what he got

vanguard said:
Hmm, interesting. I hadn't seen that before. I read online that he has $15,000 into that rear axle and as we all know, if you read it on the internet it must be true. ;D
It was more. ;)

And yeah he got what he paid for. That hooka' is bangin'! I mean motor mounts that are machined elipical to save weight? How anal do you have to be to go to that effort? Its killa!

what is that rectangular aluminum looking thing midway in on the axle tube. Looks like a wire loom going into it from the rear. just left of the lower link on top of the tube? camera?

THat is his self centering rear steer control. It has some sort of sensor in it and when the rear crosses it it stops the ram. Trick as hell. Instead of using winches to pull the suspenion down it used hydraliic rams attached to limit straps. So they act as limit straps normally, but when he hits the switch they become suspension suck downs.

I took RB to the shoot last year in Hot Springs. Here are some I got.

Wyatt hate the show skins, but those are most of pics I have

HotSprings9-14-2007017Small.jpg

HotSprings9-14-2007025Small.jpg

HotSprings9-14-2007030Small.jpg

HotSprings9-14-2007070Small.jpg

Matt O. said:
THat is his self centering rear steer control. It has some sort of sensor in it and when the rear crosses it it stops the ram. Trick as hell. Instead of using winches to pull the suspenion down it used hydraliic rams attached to limit straps. So they act as limit straps normally, but when he hits the switch they become suspension suck downs.
BOSS! That is some cool **** right thar!

Matt O. said:
I took RB to the shoot last year in Hot Springs. Here are some I got.

Wyatt hate the show skins, but those are most of pics I have
HotSprings9-14-2007030Small.jpg

HotSprings9-14-2007070Small.jpg

When it looks like that, why do you need show skins?

Bones, you have no idea, how many things like that are on this buggy. You could sit and stare at it for hours, and not figure out or identify all the tricks on it.

This is what I was talking about.
Check out the mount, and how it has material machined away to lighten it.

347096076_gMhko-M.jpg

Then again you can see the same done to the rear links
347097052_SArxw-M.jpg

And the routing of them intake, I have pondered extending mine the exact same way to the passenger footwell on my buggy (which is in about the same spot as where this filter is on Jims)
347097067_aACkA-M.jpg

InDaShop said:
And the routing of them intake, I have pondered extending mine the exact same way to the passenger footwell on my buggy (which is in about the same spot as where this filter is on Jims)
347097067_aACkA-M.jpg

What is the resevoir to the right in this picture?

Bones said:
I imagine F or R steer rezy? wrong?

That or coolant overflow of some sort. Don't know on that one. Looks like there is a steering ressy in the far left corner