• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

High steer options...

charliesnyder

Here's a little background on my vehicle. '82 Toyota Pickup, 22r, W56, Dual 2.28 Cases, 5.29's, Longs, ARB and spool... Etc....

Currently have TG high steer setup on my rig. Last outing before I deployed I bombed 5 of my knuckle studs. Instead of just replacing my studs with ARP studs I was planning on upgrading to TG Six Shooter and do ARP studs in them.

Doin' some research on Pirate I noticed some people are having issues breaking the trunion bearing pins on them. Would cryo treating these arms help? Just an idea.

Lets here your thoughts and what you guys run.

Thanks in advance.
:hi: Charlie

your not going to break a pin.

you dont need 6 shooters either. Just do a fifth stud and replace the old studs with arps and you will be fine.

cryo is not the end all to breakage. ALOT of people THINK its makes a difference. With no way to test and not destroying two identicle arms you will never know. Its just wishfull thinking without testing.

At the hammer a few years ago we took Bobby axle breaker to play with. When it cam time to break output shafts I was surprised. Marlin came out with his magic recipe, a stock '79 output that had been cryoed, he claimed it was the strongest he had found (he claims the 79s are the toughest) and when cryoed they are even better. He had even sold them to others thinking it was a better combo.

Well the stocker we brought broke at 2500 lbs on the money, and the super pimp 79 cryoed shaft broke at well, 2500 just like the stock one! The breakage was the same too.:eeek:

Cryo didnt do anything productive for that shaft.:beer:

Thanks for the info Chop! Didn't get a chance to tear into my axle before I left so I just thru it up on some jack stands before I deployed. Hope I didn't break the pins too low. I guess we'll see in a few months when I get home!

Just do a fifth stud and replace the old studs with ARPs and you will be fine.

X2

If you want stronger pins, have a machinist make them out of 4340, it would be pretty easy.

Check your steering nuts before every run!

The pins break even with tight studs. If you want to upgrade go with the 25mm kit from Marlin. $280 for USA chromoly pins with bearings or dump $200 into some chinese solid pins and a lotta grease.

have you ever broke a pin?

Nope, but I've broken lots of studs. Something about full hydro and 42's makes those little things snap off. Red loctite on clean dry threads and they still snapped off.

Mustard dog and oops on PBB have both busted pins on tight studs if you want to do a search and try to prove me wrong. :;

What about adding a key to the arm/knuckle?:corn:

That is something I really think would fix the issue once and for all. I was planning on having that done if the ARP studs in my Marlin 6 stud billet hi steer arms with 4xlabs 6 stud conversion plates didn't hold but I dumped the yota stuff before I got to install it. :D

Nope

Mustard dog and oops on PBB have both busted pins on tight studs if you want to do a search and try to prove me wrong. :;

I know its possible but if three people have done it????? whahhhh??

If you never had a problem on 42s with pin breakage whay warn a guy on 36s about it and get him all worried?:rolleyes:

I know its possible but if three people have done it????? whahhhh??

If you never had a problem on 42s with pin breakage whay warn a guy on 36s about it and get him all worried?:rolleyes:

I didn't say a single thing to get him worried. I gave him both options to avoid any issues.

Thanks for all the info guys! I guess I will just wait to buy parts until I get home and can tear in to my knuckles... See just how bad it is.. Anyone have any tip/tricks to getting broken knuckle studs out?

Thanks for all the info guys! I guess I will just wait to buy parts until I get home and can tear in to my knuckles... See just how bad it is.. Anyone have any tip/tricks to getting broken knuckle studs out?

Left handed drill bit almost always gets 'em right out---even been able to spin 'em out by hand with a small pick!!! Look at the threads in the knuckle real close for any damage---sometimes they get buggered up from the loose studs...

Left handed drill bit almost always gets 'em right out---even been able to spin 'em out by hand with a small pick!!! Look at the threads in the knuckle real close for any damage---sometimes they get buggered up from the loose studs...

So just a regular drill and a vise? Or would you suggest a drill press?