• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Hose Problems

hoss250

Just went to load my 1985 Toyota pickup with an 86 22re and noticed the upper radiator hose collapsed. The truck had new hoses in Jan, new radiator and factory Toyota thermostat, thermostat housing and had the engine and system flushed in July. I even replaced the hose tonight and the new one did the same thing. The truck has been wheeled three times since the radiator (July) with no problems. The only other issue is the rust coloring of the antifreeze, not milkshake and the oil and the spark plugs look good. Any ideas on what is causing this? Thanks

When you pop the rad cap---does the hose pop back into place? have you replaced the rad cap and do you still have a res tank for the rad?

My experience with Toyotas (two trucks and two cars) is that there can be air cavitys in the cooling system that will drive you nuts trying to get them bled out.

If you've had to add coolant receintly you may have a stubborn air pocket.

If your temp gauge is moving around a lot it a good sign of air in the system.

It was a new 13lb cap with the radiator and the reservoir is still there. It will push excess out of the reservoir if it is topped off. I will check right now if the hose returns to normal if the cap is released.

x2 on radiator cap....my last Toyota truck did that and a new cap solved the problem. A new cap isn't too expensive...

Radiator does hold pressure until released. The temp gauge does barely flutter, but I don't trust it since it goes up halfway when the key is turned on (need to fix). Also no heat coming from the heater.

Also since the motor swap in Jan, there was a slight swooshing sound through the heater when revving the motor. I have tried bleeding the system many ways including raising the front of the truck up and running and shutting down and topping off. Also since then I had the truck powerflushed and filled at Walt's and the swooshing remained, making me leary of the head gasket, but the truck runs good and shows no other symptoms of a head gasket problem.

Thermostat opens and closes fine. I checked by put it in boiling water, going to try flushing the system again.