• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Hot PSC steering pump

UABYJ94

Ordered a new HO PSC steering pump for my YJ 2.5l to push the DE ram and 39.5 TSLs. I went through the bleeding and burping process and the pump is getting very hot after only a couple of minutes of running. I am not getting anymore bubbles up in the reservoir that is above the pump and don't know what else to do..I really don't want to burn up a brand new pump as much as they cost. Thanks for any help or advice.,,oh, I have not hooked up a cooler inline yet, but didn't think it would need one sitting still idling...I could be wrong.

Did you install a new orbital valve or a used.?The orbital that we need for the style pumps we use is an open center valve. Some valves used on forklifts and other equipment are closed center. A closed center valve will put the pump under load and building pressure anytime it is running. If you don't know the model or origin of your valve, you may be able to disconnect the return line and "aim" it back to the fill cap on the reservoir to see if you are moving fluid correctly. I have not tried that method but I feel like it will give you some clue as to what is going on.

Its a used Eaton orbital valve. I told the guy at PSC everything I had .. I'll get the part number off the orbital and see if it tells anything as to what it was designed for. I bought it and the ram, along with some lines, off of here. Will look back through my pm's and see if I can find who I got it from.

Does your steering work at all? If you have a closed center orbital your pump will be absolutely screaming at you any time you are not steering. It would be so loud and horrible that you would immediately shut it down. Sure you got the orbital plumbed right?

It works great turning the wheels sitting still and ther short distance I moved the jeep in the driveway and is as quiet as a jitterbug sleeping in the tackle box. Its getting hot just idling. I don't even have to turn the steering wheel and after about 4 minutes you can hardly hold your hand to the pump. I'll double check to make sure I have the reservoir and pump hooked into the right ports on the orbital this evening. Thanks, I didn't think about that as I was pretty sure I followed the directions on what goes where. Will it cause this if the pump and reservoir are reversed?

A cooler and good steering fluid will make a big difference whether it is full hydraulic or assist

Daves Offroad Supply said:
Care to expand? We have worked with them for quite a while now and have had almost zero issues.
Rams leaking, breaking and pumps only lasting one ride.

ALLJ said:
A cooler and good steering fluid will make a big difference whether it is full hydraulic or assist

Even on a 15 foot ride???? I have not took it on a trail...hell it hasn't left my yard except on a trailer to the new house. I'm still building the rig. The jeep has not been run more than 5 minutes at a tsince the new pump has been installed.
I'm curious to hear if I did hook the pump and reservoir up backwards on the orbital valve whether it would cause this..I am assuming since it is turning the wheels without issue that the orbital is plumbed correctly..I should be home by 3pm and will verify they are in the correct ports and post up that info.
I will take pics of the set up when I get home and find the camera..

I called PSC, if you want to call them ask for Kelvin and explain what is going on. His first thought is that you have a closed center orbital and that would cause the pump to get hot very quickly. Get the part number off that orbital and double check to make sure its not a closed center.

Will call when I get home, thanks...It was stated earlier that it would be screaming if it were a closed orbital and this system is very quite...Will update what I find out this evening. Thanks for all the input...it is greatly appreciated.

I don't know what would happen with the P and T ports reversed on an orbital. A closed center orbital would be dead-heading the pressure line which would result in the pump instantly going into max bypass mode. I have intentionally done this in the past for testing purposes and every time I have the pump screams like hell and heats up within seconds. After a minute or two I would imagine that it would be too hot to touch but I've never let it run that long.

I don't know if its possible that you could have a closed center ram and the suspension / steering setup is adding some input to the system from the road that is causing it to return some, but not all, of the fluid back to tank? That might explain how one could have a closed center orbital, which would cause the pump to largely bypass most of the fluid while not screaming like a banshee? You could verify by jacking the front end off the ground and running it without steering in that case. If it screams it closed center. I honestly don't know though. I'm just throwing out theories at this point. I've never owned a closed center orbital to know for sure. (Most of us haven't as they have no place in a 4x4 steering system.)

Re: Re: Hot PSC steering pump

Turns out it is a closed center orbital. I guess I got burned on that hardline purchase. Guess I'm on the hunt for the right one now. I guess some people have to learn expensive lessons. Now to go home and throw it scrap pile so it doesn't happen to anyone else.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

http://www.hardlinecrawlers.com/forums/index.php?topic=21249.0

Cheapest I've seen them in a while.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Roadyy said:
Turns out it is a closed center orbital. I guess I got burned on that hardline purchase. Guess I'm on the hunt for the right one now. I guess some people have to learn expensive lessons. Now to go home and throw it scrap pile so it doesn't happen to anyone else.

How about converting a closed center to an open center?

I'll pay shipping on it if you are really gonna throw it in the scrap pile. I'd like to take it apart and look at it.

EDIT:

Found this:
http://mtu4wheelers.powweb.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4853

http://www.sauer-danfoss.com/stellent/groups/publications/documents/product_literature/520l0066.pdf

You can convert a closed center to open center:

To convert a closed center hydraulic steering metering unit to an open center unit, follow these instructions using following pdf as a guide.

http://www.sauer-danfoss.com/stellent/groups/publications/documents/product_literature/520l0066.pdf

Take out the spool and sleeve from the housing (shown on page 3), keep it held together with the neutral position spring.

With the spool and sleeve together in the neutral position, mark the bottom set of holes in the sleeve onto the spool inside it (pressure input holes). to make sure these are the correct holes, apply air pressure to the pressure in line on the housing and feel which hole the air pressure comes out of inside the housing. this hole/groove should line up with these bottom holes on the sleeve when the sleeve is in the housing.

Once the pressure input holes are identified on the sleeve and marked onto the spool inside the sleeve, carefully press the spool out of the sleeve (remove cross pin from sleeve and spool also. page 9). using drill press and drill capable of drilling the hardened spool, drill holes through it where you marked on it earlier. You can probably drill these holes with the spool and sleeve put together if you would rather (may be more accurate).
If you do not have the tools to drill the holes out, you can grind a slot through the spool from the edge in till you reach you're holes you marked (i used a dremmel with one of the fine cut-off wheels on it to grind my slots into the spool.

When you are complete and you de-burred it and reassembled it, the holes (pressure in holes) should line up with the holes you drilled or slots you cut when the spool is in the neutral position. when you hold the sleeve and rotate the spool inside of it, the pressure holes will line up with different slots cut in the spool going to either the left pressure out or the right pressure out (depending which way you turn it.) should be good to go. if confused, i will try to get pics of my spool and sleeve to better illustrate.

Which pump do you have? I have a PSC valve that was used with a P pump from PSC. Only reason I swapped it was to change to the humongo trophy pump when I built the new buggy.

Its the pump for a 2.5l yj motor. I can't remember the style of it. My home internet is down until tomorrow so hard for me to search on this phone but will try.