• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

How do I get ORV tags for my buggy?

Does it say "plates or Wa orv tabs"? Because yes, Wa license plates are not the same as ORV permits. You would still need a Wa ORV permit to wheel on OR state land. We had a group of 50 that camped at the State park in Florence 4 times a year for 10 years and every quad had Wa orv tags and were checked regularly by the FS.

Proof of residency is what you need. a friend of mine got nailed a few years ago because he had only a oregon tag and he was a washington resident.

reciprocity means Oregon honors Washington resident orv tags and vice versa. again proof of residency is the key.

I think the only way to clear it up would be to call them and ask. And who knows if 2 people would even give the same answer. The same site says Non residents can buy tags but also says if your state offers tags you cannot buy Oregon tags. It likely depends on the day of the week......................:rolleyes:

I think the only way to clear it up would be to call them and ask. And who knows if 2 people would even give the same answer. The same site says Non residents can buy tags but also says if your state offers tags you cannot buy Oregon tags. It likely depends on the day of the week......................:rolleyes:

This is exacly my point. Peoples opinion aren't valid so why ask them? What the law says is what you will need to defend yourself if a uninformed LEO writes you a bogus ticket.:;

Proof of residency is what you need. a friend of mine got nailed a few years ago because he had only a oregon tag and he was a washington resident.

reciprocity means Oregon honors Washington resident orv tags and vice versa. again proof of residency is the key.

The thing is as I recall from reading Washingtons reciprocity agreement is it's worded as "ORV program" not tags or such and Oregons agreement (linked on my previous post) would alow the same.. Washington honors license tabs so a Wa street tab should be good in Oregon though Oregon is known for ticketing people for this.:rolleyes:

I just read the manual the state gives authorized agents and it doesn't even address this issue. WTF I'm sure there are laws that handle this but if they don't even inform the seller of the permit how the fawk are we supposed to know? This would explain why so many people have OR tags in Wa. (Still doesn't mean it's legal). Just means you may not have done anything wrong.:mad:

The thing is as I recall from reading Washingtons reciprocity agreement is it's worded as "ORV program" not tags or such and Oregons agreement (linked on my previous post) would alow the same.. Washington honors license tabs so a Wa street tab should be good in Oregon though Oregon is known for ticketing people for this.:rolleyes:

The footnote on your link explains this. Since Wa has both a license plate and a orv tag Oregon has decided only to honor the ORV tags for state OHV use.

The footnote on your link explains this. Since Wa has both a license plate and a orv tag Oregon has decided only to honor the ORV tags for state OHV use.

I know that's the footnote I was talking about earlier. You may also notice this is just a footnote on a web site but it's not part of a law. It's bullshit is what it is.

i see what your saying. my argument was washington residents purchasing a oregon orv tag and using it in washington instead of a Wa orv tag. my rig is licensed as a 73 K10 (plate/tabs) but I I went to oregon to wheel I would need to purchase a oregon Orv tag. or at least thats what i understand.

i see what your saying. my argument was washington residents purchasing a oregon orv tag and using it in washington instead of a Wa orv tag. my rig is licensed as a 73 K10 (plate/tabs) but I I went to oregon to wheel I would need to purchase a oregon Orv tag. or at least thats what i understand.

Yes that's the way it's enforced in Or but I think it's wrong FWIW.

Yes that's the way it's enforced in Or but I think it's wrong FWIW.
but my rig isn't licensed as an ORV. i have no problem purchasing a ORegon Orv tag to oprate in oregon orv areas. yes it bullshit but it's fairly easy to get a oregon Orv tag.

And we're back to my 1st post.....

Regardless of what anyone posts here as "useful information" you will need to contact the State Patrol directly and ask them what they want/need of you and your vehicle.

Call them tomorrow.:awesomework:

Hooray for experience!!!

As for the OP; What happened to the Chevy? IF you still have the title then why not use that and tell them it went from that to what you have now? It would be on them to prove otherwise.

We could all pitch in a few grand and pay cash for a address down on the Oregon dunes... that way we all could have a place to camp when we go down to have fun and we could have an address in Or to buy tabs and tax free ****. Just an idea.

As for the OP; What happened to the Chevy? IF you still have the title then why not use that and tell them it went from that to what you have now? It would be on them to prove otherwise.

Unfortunately I was stupid and gave the title away when I scrapped the old chassis. If I cant get the WSP to cooperate, I think I am just going to to use the vin tag off of the main donor vehicle from the project and have that title reasigned as ORV. That as close to legal as I can think of, and if its not legal its at least reasonable enough to be explained to a cop.:beer:

Unfortunately I was stupid and gave the title away when I scrapped the old chassis. If I cant get the WSP to cooperate, I think I am just going to to use the vin tag off of the main donor vehicle from the project and have that title reasigned as ORV. That as close to legal as I can think of, and if its not legal its at least reasonable enough to be explained to a cop.:beer:

That sucks. Would have made it much easier. Hope it all works out. Post up what comes of it so others (like myself) who plan on building a scratch built buggy know what to look foe and how to make it a bit easier on them selves.

Latest posts