• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

how often and much towing before you go diesel?

TrailTaco

Let me ask you diesel guys this. How heavy and how often do you tow to justify the diesel? If you tow a small boat say 14-16' several times a summer. Or tow your trail rig to local wheeling spots is that enough towing to buy a diesel. Or will a half ton cut it. I ask because I may be looking for a fullsize rig in the next year or so. It will be my daily driver and as said occassional towing will be done. I have always just thought I would buy a halfton, but I have been reading your guys post on diesels alot lately. Which has got me wondering if I should consider one.

Thanks for the input!

Mark

i didnt have to tow to justify it...
i was going to buy a truck, i knew i wouldnt be in the market again for atleast 5 years, so i didnt want to " chance " outgrowing it.

not to mention, driving a 8k+ lb barn door and still averaging 25+ mpg makes it worth while... thats better than the ranger i traded in did.

i drive mine daily as well. currently doesnt tow much. maybe once a month, but nothing you couldnt do with say a tacoma. but in the end it was the best decision i made. though other board members will say different:D

My experience: Always had half tons, and rarely towed anything but a utility trailer. The Zuk could have towed it.

But, had a chance to buy an older diesel (1989 F250) and now tow the Zuk, quads, etc.

And comparatively, 3 years ago when I took my 4wd F150 with a 300 I-6 to Moab, I got 10-12 mpg driving unloaded.

Driving the 89 F250 with the IDI diesel, towing the Zuk, I got 15-16 mpg.

Only downside I have with my truck, is it isn't the most comfortable rig to drive, but that's not the diesel's fault.

When I towed to moses lake with an 07 F150 5.4L. I was towing my Jeep on a trailer. About 6000 pounds. The truck gets about 15-20MPG unloaded. I was getting 10 towing.

The same trip, Tom with his 05 Duramax 4-door dually. Towing his camper, tralier and TWO Jeeps, was getting 10MPG. I don't know his MPG unloaded, but I'm sure he will chime in here.

I am driving the 5.9l 1/2 ton dodge, nice ride, around 15-18 mpg with out anything in it 10 to 13mpg loaded and or pulling which is lame! I am thinking I need a diesel, and some day will be a EDD....:haha:

I say never pull with a 1/2 ton unless it is a small boat or utility trailer. I know of 3 people that have rolled down the freeway because of thier 1/2 ton not being able to handle the tounge weight. But deisel for sure. I tow alot and still get great mileage in my FURD. But i am letting my parents borrow it and the trailer for this week so they can tow some stuff and i am using thier dodge 1/2 ton. And I noticed a big difference in towing my 17ft boat to the lake tonight.

you might pay more for a diesel up front but the life, gas mileage, and towing safety way more than make up for it.

just my 2c.

We have a couple guys in our club with gassers, and they seem to do fine, one pulls a 4runner, the biggest difference is when we get to a hill, diesels just pull a whole lot better, mileage is pretty close to a gas rig, He gets 9-10 loaded, and I get 10-11 loaded, empty I get as much as 14, and he gets 9-10. :haha:

bought a cummins and aint ever thought about having anything less in my truck... Even if you by a lesser diesel :stirpot: :stirpot: like a powerstroke or a duramax your still better off:Acheers:

For me, it isn't that I justify my decision to purchase a 3/4 ton diesel to tow. I do tow with it enough by most standards to own one, but if there was a 1/2 ton out there with a diesel engine in it, I'd buy that in a heart beat.

Diesels are far more efficient than those silly gas motors. Plus, it's kind of fun to get 21.5 mpg and have 375hp/750lb.ft. on tap with lots of black smoke to boot.

when your heading west on I-90 and you catch that eastern breeze coming right at you and your using a gas tow rig. call me and tell me about your experiences:rolleyes:

just buy a coal burner man:awesomework:

Besides the fact that the big diesel trucks tow much better, I recently read a report that spoke to how buying a new diesel truck pays for itself in fuel savings approximately at year 3. It takes you a little over three years (new vehicle) to brake even on the extra costs of the diesel engine. Once youve done that youre now better in both towing and fuel mileage. Now IF you buy a quality used vehicle you start out better off from the get go.

How much and how often dont matter when you roll with a ebp member towing with a gas truck and enclosed trailer and buggy inside it. It simply makes ya want a oil burner.

heh, I'd go Diesel for pulling -- then again, I pull my '79 Toy with my 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD -- it did great this weekend, although since its so light, you do feel the car behind a little more. -- PLUS -- people gawk at you, saying 'Holy ****, its a jeep pulling a toyota!'

But in sheer pulling power, the libby can do 5k easy, and most KJ haulers say you can push it to 6500 if the trailer has brakes and you don't run the AC

well....

in the past....say....18 months I've been:

Alaska and back.......6k miles
hammerz and back....2k miles
rubicon and back x2..2k miles
vegas and back........2k miles
seattle and back...x several...1k miles <??>
eastern oregon and back x several....1k miles <??>

and some others I'm sure I'm forgetting....

is that enough??

:fawkdancesmiley: