• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

HP44 and Stickys?

y2knole

got a narrowed HP44 going into my TJ very soon, and I'm close to needing tires.

This axle has warn hubs (might change em to slugs later) and chromolly shafts, 4.88 gears, locked, and its goin into a 4.0 TJ.

Im pretty sensible with the skinny pedal, Ive been nursing a HP30 for a few years now...

Think it would hold up to a set of 37" Reds Labels or would I regret the sticky tires?

Drive with some sense and you should be fine. Assuming it's good Chromo's and good joints. The weak part is that 4:88 R&P. If you are building the axle have the gears cryo treated first. They last a lot longer that way.

y2knole said:
got a narrowed HP44 going into my TJ very soon, and I'm close to needing tires.

This axle has warn hubs (might change em to slugs later) and chromolly shafts, 4.88 gears, locked, and its goin into a 4.0 TJ.

Im pretty sensible with the skinny pedal, Ive been nursing a HP30 for a few years now...

Think it would hold up to a set of 37" Reds Labels or would I regret the sticky tires?

I had a D44 in my Tacoma. I could break stuff at will running 37" Pro Comp Xtreme All Terrians.

01TJ on here ran the same setup in a TJ with very good luck. I think he cracked some teeth off of the ring gear but never major failure. He also ran RCV's...

ive been on hp30 and 36" iroks for the last several years and its held up fine. aside from wear items, steering, balljoints, etc that have worn out too fast for my liking...

matth_85 said:
01TJ on here ran the same setup in a TJ with very good luck. I think he cracked some teeth off of the ring gear but never major failure. He also ran RCV's...

Yeah he's right, but my TJ had a 2.5 in it. I ran Yukon shafts and spicer joints for a little while, before switching to RCV. The 37 reds were pretty rough on the Spicer joints and Warn hubs. The ring gear did have a few chipped teeth in it as well. I'd definetly carry some spare shafts, and hubs.

I have a hp44 from a bronco. My buggy is on 38.5 tsl sx and it does great. I have 5.13 gears. The front is a spool but it was broken and welded i think! It has Yukon shafts. Moog balls. Im running the ford style radius arm with air shocks. The steering seems to be beefy but i dont know what came stock on this axle.

The builder said he broke 2 stub shafts on the river side while in the rocks. He was fully bound up and stuck. Rather then winching he wanted to let the v8 do its thing and snap. He said tire was pinched bad and he just reved and dumped it hopping for the best.

I have beat the buggy rather hard to my liking which was way less then the builders liking. Get good parts and itll hold.

I started breaking chromoly shafts in my wagoneer d44 after swapping to 37" irok stickies. I was running nitro shafts.

I have been running red's on a yota axle with the Yukon birfield eliminator kit which uses 44 joints and similar shafts. I had the Yukon super joints and everything held up good until the front housing got bent. It then broke the inner axle shaft. Put good parts in it and wheel it.

My HP44 has Yukon chromos and Spicers, one of the weak links, and Warn hubs, the other weak link. I run 38 TSLs which are far from sticky and don't break all that often but have on quite a few occasions. If I had it do do over I'd put a 60 up front but I'm broke so I'll keep nursing my 44.

bgredjeep said:
37" irok stickies.

36-frabz-dafuq-e04e7cdafuq20480x311-wallpaper-480x311.jpg

Are you running an automatic trans? Reason I ask is I also have a 4.0 TJ with a hp 44 but I'm running 5:13 gears and wish it was lower.

jeeptj99 said:
Are you running an automatic trans? Reason I ask is I also have a 4.0 TJ with a hp 44 but I'm running 5:13 gears and wish it was lower.

5speed. I run 4.88 gears and ive been happy with it on the 36" iroks.

5.13 would be probably better, but im not gonna do all that regearing for such a small change. (and my old 30 didnt go lower than 4.88)

and I dont think Id want to go too low. second and 4-low with the stock np231 is about right for most slick hills. if I had a 4:1 case, I think it would be a little TOO low. first gear is pretty good for crawling. if we were in ultra traction ultra dry west coast Id probably feel different but we're not...

y2knole said:
5speed. I run 4.88 gears and ive been happy with it on the 36" iroks.

5.13 would be probably better, but im not gonna do all that regearing for such a small change. (and my old 30 didnt go lower than 4.88)

and I dont think Id want to go too low. second and 4-low with the stock np231 is about right for most slick hills. if I had a 4:1 case, I think it would be a little TOO low. first gear is pretty good for crawling. if we were in ultra traction ultra dry west coast Id probably feel different but we're not...

I wish I had a 4:1 or 5:1

thx for everyone's feedback.

I asked on 'the other board' (the westcoast one!) and got one reply along the lines of 'maybe it'll work. might not tho'

screw that site. hardline fo lyfe yo :****: :woot: