• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Hydro-Boost Brake Advice Please

84Toyota4x4

I haven't had to do too much with hydro boost brakes before since I have never owned anything that has had them, nor did any of the shops I worked at service vehicles that would have had them. That said, my fiancee's family has a 32' GM chassis motorhome (mid 90s with about 20K miles on it) that I did some brake work on in the past which is supposedly giving them problems, so if you guys could lend a little insight, I would appreciate it.

The story goes like this. A few years ago someone wanted to take it over the pass and when they were getting ready to leave, it had a stuck front caliper from sitting. I got under there and got the caliper moving well enough so they could drive it on that trip. It went over and came back with no other problems, but then it sat for another year or so.

The next time someone planned to take it, remembering it had problems last time that were only "patch repaired", they decided to test drive it first. It again had problems with the front calipers sticking. I was then recruited to put new brakes on it. I got calipers, pads, and rotors from Napa, all "heavy duty" grade stuff for the proper chassis code (which slips my mind now). I repacked the front wheel bearings, slapped the new parts on, put fresh fluid in the master, and bled the front calipers until I saw good clean fluid coming out.

After that, I test drove it about 10 miles and had no problems. It was then taken on a trip to eastern WA up and over the pass with no issues at all both ways. A few months down the road, it was taken on another trip (different driver from the first two eastern WA trips) up north with no problems, but about 1 mile from home on the way back, the driver started noticing a problem with the brake pedal "feeling soft". He gets it almost all the way home and says the pedal "went to the floor" as he was pulling into the driveway and he "almost couldn't stop", but he was able to "pump the brakes to get it to stop". He also claims it felt like the front brakes weren't working at all.

I went out to look at it and didn't see any signs of leaking, both PS and brake fluids were full, etc. I hopped in and the pedal felt fine with the engine off, I started the engine and the pedal still felt fine. I drove it in the driveway and the pedal felt fine, it stopped fine, etc. I drove it forward and used just the parking brake to stop it, then the pedal, and there was a noticeable difference in how it stopped which to me says the front brakes were working fine. I then took it out on the street, drove it around for 15 miles or so up and down hills and used the brakes more than I would typically driving it, and every time I hit the brakes, the pedal felt fine, no pulling, etc. In fact, I even got the ABS to come on at one point going downhill and slamming on the brakes.

Now then, my only theory about this is that the driver was just too heavy on the brakes in traffic, they got hot, and he was experiencing brake fade from the heat. He did say they were in stop and go traffic all the way down 9 when they came home, and that they took the semi twisty back roads from 9 the rest of the way to their house. I asked him if it was possible they were just too hot, but he insists there is a problem with the brakes and some kind of failure. I recommended he take it to a shop since I couldn't see or replicate a problem with it, but I'm wondering if there is anything else I can do in the mean time. It seems odd that the problem would come and go, and it's awful coincidental that he had been driving it in "harsh" conditions before the issue arose as well.

So, what are your thoughts? Could it have just been brake fade from stop and go? Could it have some kind of intermittent internal failure? I got to thinking about it again since I was considering taking it out for a weekend trip, but I want to be sure I have looked over everything and I can say with a little more certainty what exactly happened.

~T.J.

PS - Sorry for the long-ass post...

Last edited:
IF there are no signs of leaks the only thing I would do is possibly replace the PS fluid. Maybe it got hot and wasn't working properly as it should. I had a weird humming noise coming from my truck when I hit the brakes, I replaced my PS fluid and it went away. But I never experienced any pedal fade.

It *could* be pedal fade.

I've had it happen twice. Once in Cali, coming down this backwoods mountain pass while towing. The other time on Hwy410, when my camper and trailer got stuck behind a bicycle (whom must have been suicidal).
Both time I smoked the front pads. Both times the pads showed significant damage (cracking), although wear was minimal.

First thing I'd do, is pull the caliper and inspect the pads. If they look smoked, smell burnt, show evidence of cracking......

If not (since they are new), then I'd start looking elsewhere.

It *could* be pedal fade.

I've had it happen twice. Once in Cali, coming down this backwoods mountain pass while towing. The other time on Hwy410, when my camper and trailer got stuck behind a bicycle (whom must have been suicidal).
Both time I smoked the front pads. Both times the pads showed significant damage (cracking), although wear was minimal.

First thing I'd do, is pull the caliper and inspect the pads. If they look smoked, smell burnt, show evidence of cracking......

If not (since they are new), then I'd start looking elsewhere.

Ding ding... That was going to be my advice... Check pads first. If there was brake fade the pads would show some scoring... Possibly the rotors. Good luck :awesomework:

Yes to the above suggestions. Plus, flush the booster. I bet the ps fluid comes out black and stinking to high heaven.

I flush my duramax hydroboost once a year to keep it happy.

Thank everyone. I had thought about checking the pads, but the thought of getting that thing back off the ground, getting the wheels off, and getting under it again wasn't too appealing. The jacks won't lift it off the ground, so I actually have to use bottle jacks and jack stands and I can only do one side at a time. I was hoping for some kind of "tests" I could do without disassembling it, but it looks like checking the pads out is about the best option for now.

As a side note, the pads and rotors on the motorhome had been heavily overheated at least once in their life when the driver (same driver as the one complaining something is wrong) got up too much speed on a hill. As the story goes, the back of the motorhome was full of smoke from the brakes by the time they stopped at the bottom. The fronts have obviously been replaced, but the rears are still original and show signs of overheating when looking through the dually rear wheels. I'm thinking that could play into things because the overall braking performance is potentially reduced because the rears aren't working 100% due to the overheated/glazed pads, thus making the new fronts work harder and possibly overheating them easier.

~T.J.

sounds like when driving,you were being on the brakes hard.
try starting it, and lightly pressing and holding them. do they sink?
if so, master is bad.