• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

I need opinions please...

If you not killing axles then that explains why the locker is fine too. :D

If you are killing stock birfs and feel you need 30 spliners then get a detroit and stop tearing the front end apart.

I also feel the longs kill them quicker. They will twist alot of energy up untill it finnaly unlocks and BANG!!

Its not just big rigs either. My roomate runs 34s on a yota and his lunchbox busted/chipped out the pins too.

Haven't broke one axle yet since the yota install....I did however separate my front driveline (one I was sure was long enough, as it's chev 4x4 slip/stub (almost twice as long as sami stuff) with a 1310 at the case, and yota at the axle; anyhow when I came down from a launch up the crack at the learning center the front tires grabbed onto the top of the rock, and twisted that pinion down to the point the shaft came apart....on a shackle forward rig!!!:yikes: got that problem fixed now...:; I thought for sure there would be broken birf/axle...but nope.
Oh, and so your aware, when I put the yotas in almost (3yrs ago now); the only time it's been apart was for the new LR and carrier---it is working well, and have no complaints...:D

I also agree with the 30's storing more pent up energy, and can kill lunchers...hell, they can and have killed the toughest of lockers...

I wouldn't run a locker w/ stock birfs. I made it about an hour on my 1st trip before I killed a stock toy birf. The next weekend I was up at Bobby's picking up my super set. My V6 locright seems to hold up ok but I never feel it unlock.
Great for going straight!

Will the lock-rite hold up to an '84 yota 4cyl with 4.56 gears and 35" tires?

I'm on 33" km2's and have had my locrite for a couple years, no problems. But I don't bind up my **** either. Stock axles. Stock 4.10 gears. properly set up gears and stuff.

I run a lock-right up front and welded rear with stock Toy axles in my Sami on 36" Swampers. I've run that way for about 7 years and never broken anything but a u-joint and a spring. I don't shy away from the throttle but I only have about 80 hp and the torque of a lawnmower. I run 4.89 gears in the t-case and 5.29s in the axles also. Some people can break anything but with a little careful wheeling and knowing when to back off a little you can make it survive.

I agree with the weight thing...:awesomework:

By set up properly, I mean axles centered (or at least reaaalllly close!), proper preload on carrier bearings, and that the carrier bearings go onto the carrier tight (ie: press onto the carrier, not barely, but securely as designed)---if they are loose on the carrier, this allow the carrier to 'walk' around when under load....no matter how much preload there is on the bearings.
And stock axles!!:redneck:....have a new pair of cryo'd birfs (never installed) sitting in a box for when the inevitable happens.... or I may buck up at that time for 30 spliners. The last time I had my front end apart (a yr ago when I thought the LR took a ****) the stock birfs are as smooth and tight as I have ever seen; found the carrier was toast where the bearings press onto (they fell off when I took it apart:haha:); grabbed a good carrier, installed new Koyos onto it, set up a new lockrite into it, and is working just fine!!! Needless to say, the Lockrite I took out looked damn near new... I'd have installed the original LR, but since I had a new one I just installed it instead.
It's lookin' like my original LR will be going into Unc's front axle (as long as the carrier/bearings are ok...:awesomework::;

Yer a prince!!:awesomework: Little sucker ought to be alot more fun locked both ends.....Was lockrite in front w a busted.....want to say detroit? in rear, and was a gas, other than fixing axles every time out.:mad:

Who the hell wants to do that!

X2:awesomework:

After I did the 4.7-1 tcase I broke a stock birf every wheeling trip.......I guess it's all on how you wheel like chopshop said. If your one of those wheelers that goes around tricky stuff with out even trying once then ya your stock shite will hold together for a bit. But if your in the front of the group and feel the need like me to try stuff that i think people behind me can't do then ya **** happens. Now that I have my Longs I have held together well......Knock on wood!!! :beer:

Last edited:
I prefer to tailor my truck to my driving style, not tailor my driving to my trucks breaking style.:;

But everybody knows I cant drive anyways. My nickname is "finesse", Tina gave me that one!:haha:

I also ran a lockrite in the front of my old yota with 529's 30 spline longfields, brand new 38's stock hubs, 4 cyl, dual cases and pounded the **** out of it, last march through sept wheeled every weekend but two.

There are a few people who have seen me wheel on here, ask them how I roll. I have never taken an easy line unless denied by the hardest line first. I would wheel with you (Ed) all day long no problem. And I find no fun in trying to fix my **** on the trail, I prefer to spend my day wheeling not wrenching. Some people love to brag about all the crap that they have broke, I brag about all the crap I haven't broke.

There are a few people who have seen me wheel on here, ask them how I roll. I have never taken an easy line unless denied by the hardest line first. I would wheel with you (Ed) all day long no problem. And I find no fun in trying to fix my **** on the trail, I prefer to spend my day wheeling not wrenching. Some people love to brag about all the crap that they have broke, I brag about all the crap I haven't broke.

dont worry man, we know you hardcore!:;

I dont realy know you either but i know the B.L.A.S.T crew pretty well and if you run with them you are definately hardcore! :awesomework:

i have a lockwrong in the rear of my yota with 5.29s and its a pieces of **** wish i would have never bought one. unlocks at the wrong time and locks at the wrong time:redneck: as far as the aussie my buddy has one in the front of his yota on 35" creepy crawlers and empi shafts and he loves it! defietly a better buy than the lockwrong IMO

I have a Spartan in the rear of my yota. V6 engine, 4cyl third 5.29 and 37's I've daily'd my truck in city traffic on the freeway and never felt anything. Have never felt it while on pavement at all unless it's wet and I want to have fun. Works great when wheeling, have only heard the unlocking bang once but overall mine has been a very smooth locker. It is also priced with the lockrite and Aussie locker

I have a Spartan in the rear of my yota. V6 engine, 4cyl third 5.29 and 37's I've daily'd my truck in city traffic on the freeway and never felt anything. Have never felt it while on pavement at all unless it's wet and I want to have fun. Works great when wheeling, have only heard the unlocking bang once but overall mine has been a very smooth locker. It is also priced with the lockrite and Aussie locker

Thank you. Has anyone put one(spartan) in the front? Does it adversely effect steering?

From my experience putting a lunchbox in the rear always yields bad results, tho in the front works very well. I as well as many of my friends have ran them only in the front for years with no probs, and in a more economical build will do so again.

From my experience putting a lunchbox in the rear always yields bad results, tho in the front works very well. I as well as many of my friends have ran them only in the front for years with no probs, and in a more economical build will do so again.

Thanks!

Latest posts