• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Jap Jeep "Build Up" LOL

Comet

This is my '87 Mitsubishi Jeep I recently acquired after learning I'll be in Japan another year. I needed something to wheel with and there are at least 4 areas within a few hours drive to wheel. The closest is about 30 mins. It's all pretty tame by American standards, so the Jeep is accordingly tame.

It's a turbo diesel with a lo-range gear box, although after adding bigger tires, not nearly low enough. We'll see how that works out, but I don't want to spend a lot more money on this. This "build up" consists of leaf springs and 33" tires and Rancho 9000 shocks. The springs are Zeal and one of the few still available for this rig. They stopped producing the Jeep in 1997. It has a used Warn M9000 winch that I added that was sitting in my buddies shop when I bought it. Tires are Geolander MT+ which is the only affordable off road tire I can get here. BFGs, Swampers, etc. all are about 2X of US prices because of shipping. They are fairly agressive, unidirectional (which I generally don't like) and have a decent void. Most people here wheel less agressive tires, although I see Boggers and BFG MTs quite a bit.

I took it to my buddies shop where I bought the Jeep and was expecting to do this by myself. In typical friendly Japanese manner, some help showed up and despite the language barrier, we worked pretty well as a team. We got everything done in about 2 hours. Unfortunately I was not able to wheel it this weekend because all the areas were closed for various weather related reasons (flood or snow). So I don't have any action shots, but I didn't want to wait any longer to post. The action pics will have to wait later. Hope you enjoy seeing something a little different.

The first pics are the night I brought it home. It took over a week to get it after making the decision due to all the compliance and inspection laws. I even had to prove parking and draw a map of my parking area. Every piece has to be working too. When I bought it, it had BFG ATs on it, but to pass inspections, the stock wheels and tires had to go on, so the first few pics show it in that state.
2utt84j.jpg

1533ek8.jpg

And this is on the way to doing the mods

2vi41vc.jpg

And here we are tearing into it.

2e3tix3.jpg

af8r9u.jpg

256chzt.jpg

14v4opg.jpg

And the rear

f9dpau.jpg

ej6gyq.jpg

r933ep.jpg

ipyyae.jpg

Hot Rod! The tires hadn't come back from being balanced when the front was done, so the stock tires had to go on temporarily.

2rc8ndz.jpg

2djdv1e.jpg

And here it is all together!

hu1v88.jpg

ehix3b.jpg

The crew!

mma8af.jpg

That thing is sweet:awesomework:. You should try to ship some of those back to the states a 1997 diesel flatfender would probably sell quite well in the PNW.

That thing is sweet:awesomework:. You should try to ship some of those back to the states a 1997 diesel flatfender would probably sell quite well in the PNW.

ditto....that thing is awesome.OH NO'S,now wheelers are gonna be goin JDM!:haha::fawkdancesmiley:cheers, brian

Thanks guys. I'd love to bring this back with me, but they never went through all the DOT crap to be imported, so I'd basically have to do it myself. I doubt it's up to 1987 US standards, so basically it's not worth it. These Jeeps were manufactured under license from Jeep starting in 1953 I think, and stayed basically the same with little mods like the limp wristed fenders. My understanding is that it was required to meet wheel coverage laws. If you notice, my before pics don't have fender flares, but after they do. All the guys were really looking closely to make sure the flares covered me so I won't get pulled over. I guess they are pretty strict about that, but I've seen some pretty bad violators here.

Very Nice! :awesomework: now lets see some wheeling pic's...

So how does it feel to be the tallest person in the crowd? :redneck:

Haha, I'm used to it by now Scott. Although the young high school kids sure are a lot taller! They blame Mc Donalds and American food. They're probably right.

How about a test drive report of how the turbo diesel liked the bigger tires.
Is that a nice wheeling engine for the Jeep? Are those Super Digger tires, and is that the tire of the locals. Sure you couldn't just part it out and mail it back to me,, I don't need no stinky DMV inspection to drive that:awesomework:

Cool rig. Is it a J53 or J54? I don't know the difference.

There are a few of those around in Canada, and I've been told they're exportable to the US (maybe once they're a certain age?).

Is that a MegaCruiser parked in front of the shop? :drool:

Haha Bruce! The tires are Yokohama Geolander MT+. Only affordable, agressive tire I could get here. It's pretty agressive looking, better than the BFG ATs that were on it. The turbo diesel works great. I've had it in low gear and it seems to work just fine. I would prefer lower gears though.

Eric, mine is J53, I think the J54 is longer??? Right about importing to Canada, but I don't think you can bring them to the US that easily. The same rules apply and I read a blog earlier that there is only one known to exist, in CA. I'm sure there are more, but probably in the tens, not the thousands.
Yes, he has a few Cruisers too and that one is the big one. He had an ambulance body one with no windows that was super bitchin' but it's gone now.

Eric, mine is J53, I think the J54 is longer??? Right about importing to Canada, but I don't think you can bring them to the US that easily. The same rules apply and I read a blog earlier that there is only one known to exist, in CA. I'm sure there are more, but probably in the tens, not the thousands.
Yes, he has a few Cruisers too and that one is the big one. He had an ambulance body one with no windows that was super bitchin' but it's gone now.

I was trying to figure out where I'd seen them before and found it. I've "known" (via email and internets) Wayne from Crushers Rule in Canada for a long time. His JDM import business is http://www.luxuryimports.ca/index.php and he's had a few Mitsu Jeeps come through over the years. Looking through some of the ads for rigs that have already been sold, there's a '76 J54 that he claims is legal for export to the US, but the newer ones don't have that in the ad. If you're interested in trying, Wayne's a good guy to deal with and may be of help.

I was trying to figure out where I'd seen them before and found it. I've "known" (via email and internets) Wayne from Crushers Rule in Canada for a long time. His JDM import business is http://www.luxuryimports.ca/index.php and he's had a few Mitsu Jeeps come through over the years. Looking through some of the ads for rigs that have already been sold, there's a '76 J54 that he claims is legal for export to the US, but the newer ones don't have that in the ad. If you're interested in trying, Wayne's a good guy to deal with and may be of help.

Interesting. If I brought anything to the US it would be something along these lines. http://www.luxuryimports.ca/forsale/1990HZJ73-1/index.php I don't know why Toyota never imported these here. I think they would have sold very well. I've seen several built up pretty nicely here.

cool rig, i love high hoods. george steel (george of the jeep in kent) has a 4dr one in his shop. I dont know the story if he can license it or not, I forgot but those are cool. Im sure if it was easy there would be more around here. :awesomework: now get some wheelin pics for us web wheelers:cheer:

4 door

The story Goerge told me was he could only drive it in parades:booo:, then he was sayin somtin bout licesing:mad:, and the next thing I new I was serounded by a pile of grass and rust:eeek: