• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

JK's.....

JOOP

I WON a COOKIE
Well I'm kind of tired of my Corvette and wanting a Jeep again. I think this time around I want a Rubi JK. So they have been around for awhile now and I never paid attention to them because I had my YJ. So what kind of problems are these rigs seeing? Any years better than others??

Seem to be a pretty solid rig with a **** ton of aftermarket support. Only downfall I have seen is they are heavy.

Jk's are like a full sized blazer with a tired 305. Big, heavy, no power and **** axles. But 503 different companies make billions of geegaws and doodads to customize it just like everyone else's. :haha:

I work on a ton of them and they are total piles from my experience. Whether they are beat on or grocery getter they are terrible. And drive just as shitty as any other jeep.

the 3.6 is supposed to be better than the older 3.8. For gas mileage and reliability.

The Jeep Wrangler JK is a fine platform to both go wheeling, and, to build an awesome wheeler.

The frame is far beefier, than a TJ frame (which is also better than the YJ, CJ, etc). The body, is more durable than the TJ body (which is also better than the YJ, CJ, etc).

The downsides, are it's a heavier rig. A fully built JK 4 door, with armor, axles, winch is easily 6000 pounds, and sometimes even more. Plus, the 4 door is BIG. Like, really big. But, in a LOT of areas, that wheelbase and width is an advantage. However, on our trails, it's a PITA. But, for Tahuya, you'll be fine.

The engines are anemic. But there's lot of support, turbos, superchargers, and engine swaps. The axles are amazingly strong, for a stock axle, but are undersized for large tire upgrades on a heavy rig.

Also, from what I've seen and read, adding a traditional full roll cage is a PITA. The front dash area is harder to integrate. Although Mel at Evo Engineering has a kit now.

Last edited:
The 3.8 is a pos, exhaust manifolds break in half within 5 years. And rear driveline stripped out the splines shortly thereafter after. Dad has one only street drives, with occasional trip on gravel roads too go shooting. Have to fix something one it almost every month. Exhaust still leaks after installing headers. JK = Just Kidding

Nose in the air wheeler you will become Joopy. Too heavy, too wide, typical under built Jeep that you can't beat or the the Boom will happen. Now I do like the 2 doors, but again IMO Jeeps are only good for the body, replace all the light duty crap that comes with them and you got something but at the expense of your wallett. Now if you wheel like a sissy like you do it will last. Lol:fawkdancesmiley:

Nose in the air wheeler you will become Joopy. Too heavy, too wide, typical under built Jeep that you can't beat or the the Boom will happen. Now I do like the 2 doors, but again IMO Jeeps are only good for the body, replace all the light duty crap that comes with them and you got something but at the expense of your wallett. Now if you wheel like a sissy like you do it will last. Lol:fawkdancesmiley:

I learned from you and saved your ass several times. :fawkdancesmiley:

Well I'm kind of tired of my Corvette and wanting a Jeep again. I think this time around I want a Rubi JK. So they have been around for awhile now and I never paid attention to them because I had my YJ. So what kind of problems are these rigs seeing? Any years better than others??

Must not be a die hard vette owner :D