• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Jobs

The Luke

I know that this has been discussed in the past. Is everyone happy with their current line of work? What I'm getting at is, Surely I can't be the only one that isn't 100% content with what they are doing.

I've worked myself into a corner though. I've worked my way up to a "turnkey" role, trained myself, make more money then I've made elsewhere, and I don't have a degree.

Recently though, the company has gotten to absolute crap. Treating employees like hell, firing over nothing, work load has dwindled to a slight trickle, etc.. Six months ago we had a full office and were talking of knocking out a wall and expanding into the suite next door. Now we are down about 20 people(40% of the staff) and are loosing two more this week... So I'm trying to reevaluate and figure out what to do. I enjoy my current work. But without getting on with ATT directly or another competitor, there isn't much I can do in this field. And of course now I have the wee little feller. So that makes me even worried about all this.

I would absolutely love getting into anything in the offroad parts/fab/videos/photography world. I don't have the skills to fab(yet). I'm decent, but I've never had the opportunity and tools to learn. Maybe I could get into sales?

Feel free to complain/brag on your own work, offer helpful suggestions, or just post pictures of Bill Cosby flipping me the bird... All would be appropriate.

I like my job but it's stressful all the time. Im a machinist for a Nuclear plant supplier. Everything is one-off & no room for errors like if I was in a more production type shop with spare raw material.
If I left here, I would take pretty severe pay cut starting anywhere else in my immediate area. So I just take a PTO day here & there when I feel like I'm getting burnt out.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

There are 4 kinds of people in an offroad company-
Brain (owner)
Brain and back (foreman, R&D)
Back (production fab & welder, shipping)
Fluff (phone girl, CAD guy, sales)

Production fab guys don't make a whole lot. It's one of those jobs where you do it because you love it or you're doing it for the practice/resume padding, both of which aren't bad reasons. The guy that makes the money in a place like that is the R&D guy, and he has been a wheeler and fabricator for at least a decade. Your best bet is get on at ATT and buy parts to support the industry. No offense brother, but it won't support your lifestyle. Didn't support mine, that's why I'm out of it.

I understand completely. And have spoken with Woodlee in the past about it. I'd say you're probably right. I just don't know that I want to get on with att and go down that road.

My wife and I both work for the railroad. Compared to the **** jobs I've had in the past doing construction, this is one nice gig.

Beerj said:
My wife and I both work for the railroad. Compared to the **** jobs I've had in the past doing construction, this is one nice gig.

What, where and who do you and your wife work for? JC :dunno:

ADMINISTRATOR

I completely get where you're coming from cause I'm in a very similar situation. I do not enjoy my job and I only enjoy being around a couple of my co-workers. I've worked my way into a corner meaning I'm the only one that does what I do so the job security side is good and the compensation is great. I'd love to leave and find something else but I know it won't support my lifestyle and it'll be really hard on my family. Every time I get fed up and think I've had all I can take, I look at my family and think how it'll effect them. In the end, I've never been able to come up with a good alternative but I keep my eyes open constantly and keep waiting for something better to come along. I guess the only suggestion I can give you is look around and see if you can find something better but don't leave what you got until you find it.

Make a table/graph/list with all the important things listed: job security, pay, commute, travel, time off, holiday schedule, coworkers, how much sanity is robbed during your shift, how much work is taken home, etc. After it is all written down, figure up which ones matter most, which ones matter least and which ones you could deal with if one line item was better or worse.

After all of that, go get on with AT&T, retire in 20+ and draw a pension. :flipoff1:

I have been in the precast concrete business all my life, and never mind going to work, I can truly say I love what I do.

dwa2469 said:
I have been in the precast concrete business all my life, and never mind going to work, I can truly say I love what I do.

I work with a lot of precasters....particularly ALD, ATMI and Fabcon. What kind of precast do you guys work with?

I have done structural, architectural, etc etc, however, have been doing underground utility products for the past 20+ years. We manufacture Pipe, manholes, catch basins, utility vaults and what not

5BrothersFabrication said:
They both work for Amtrak. She is a conductor and he's a fluffer in their whorehouse.
We're not allowed to be called fluffers anymore. "Baggage handler" is more politically correct.

I love what I do. Sometimes the company the wife and I drive for pisses us off and we think about buying our own truck. However, we have a dedicated run at the company we drive for and owning a truck comes headaches, overhead, and not enough if any bump in pay. So we say the golden handcuffs have us stuck to this company.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I'm almost in that boat. I work nights doing industrial maintenance on machines that make wire. I do troubleshooting with drives, motors, PLC's, everything. I like the work I do but industry runs 24/7/365 and I don't wanna run 24/7/365 my whole life... not sure which direction I want to go with this field. Gonna pad the resume a little more where I am and find something else I reckon. Like mentioned, how far work is, the pay, and what I actually do most nights... hard to beat around here without going to Atlanta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re:

I recently switched jobs about 4 years ago. Getting older and realizing i do not want to be out in the weather working on equipment/forklifts. I work for a small company and have a salesman and the gm looking at retiring in a few years.
I told the owner i want to try my hand at sales, having the mechanial back ground should help. Getting ready to start marketing/sales so i can have paper showing i took classes.
Look at working a job that is easier on my back, not getting any younger

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Re:

ROKTOY829 said:
I recently switched jobs about 4 years ago. Getting older and realizing i do not want to be out in the weather working on equipment/forklifts. I work for a small company and have a salesman and the gm looking at retiring in a few years.
I told the owner i want to try my hand at sales, having the mechanial back ground should help. Getting ready to start marketing/sales so i can have paper showing i took classes.
Look at working a job that is easier on my back, not getting any younger

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

My father-in-law works on forklifts, about 55 years old, you'd think he was 70. That ****'ll age you quick. Same in my line of work.