• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

JohnG Health Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back home. Recovering slowly. Next few days are infectous periods so no visitors.

Posted with my thumbs from Tapatalk.

JohnG said:
Back home. Recovering slowly. Next few days are infectous periods so no visitors.

Great news!

JohnG said:

How are you doing?

Update September 21, 2016.
Continue to be sick from the chemo treatment. Hoping to get a little better today or tomorrow. According to the chemo doc, I should start feeling better.

Update on hospital stay. Had some bad first nights where I was afraid to go to sleep. As soon as I would go to sleep, I would start coughing to the point I would pass out. Wake up, repeat. We actually took a video of it as we could not explain it to the doctors and nurses. Strange thing is all my vitals would look normal at the nurse's station, like nothing was happening. I have heard the video several times, but have not watched it, very scary stuff.

They decided to remove the fluid from my lungs by surgically putting a chest tube in to drain the fluid off. This is the first doctor ever I did not hit it off with. He had me scared to death. This was pretty much an exact excerpt of the conversation. I actually told him to stop until Joy could get in the room and I called her on the phone. She was right down the hall. "Yea, they call me in when they can't get the fluid off. I can do it, but it probably will not help. The lung will probably not re-inflate, so fluid will just recollect again as the body has no voids. I can do it, but you will be in twilight while I do it. I so very painful procedure and the recovery is also long and painful." I then ask him what my options are, and he says "other option is to go home like I am". Then floors me with the following statement, "I guess I am just a pessimist".

I then called the doctor on call and told him I needed something for anxiety, and told him the story. Well, he prescribed, took way more than just the edge off! I had already signed papers to have the procedure with the understanding that I could bail. They said I could say no anytime up to sedation. So, I put calls into my admitting doctor, chemo doctor, and cancer surgeon. All telling them the story and what is it with this doctor, he has me scared to death and I have never had a doctor take away my hope. The next morning they started coming by for rounds, I told them the story. I also wanted to talk to my cancer surgeon, even sent Joy to his office when they opened to get in to talk to him. She comes back and says he is in surgery all day. Well, he comes in and sees me between surgeries still dressed in scrubs, sits down with me and says "He is the best technician, but lacks in bedside manner, you need to have this done today and he is the best to do it for you". This gives me calm and off I go to surgery. I wake up and see the doctor in recovery. He has changed. He says. "I am optimistic with the way things went". They drained off 2 1/2 liters of fluid. I start feeling better with the fluid off.

Well, I try to stay positive, and I have preached to all that would listen about this doctor, so I felt I also had to tell all those about his new optimistic behavior. So, I have told all the doctors and nurses and then my cancer surgeon comes in to see me. I thank him for calming me and pointing me in the correct direction and also tell him about the doctors new attitude, he then tells me he had a conversation with a member of his firm. Ah, things start to become clear!

At Grandview, all the resident doctors come by and make their visit at the same time. There were usually 15 to 20 in the group. Makes for a full room. Strange that of these 15 plus doctors, almost all have been involved it some part of my care. When they finish, I ask the main physician if I can address the group. She tells me that I can. She is right by my side and I say "I want to talk to y'all about your bedside manner". I can see that she is now uneasy that she has given me the floor to speak. I tell them, some for the second time about the doctor, and how the pessimist finally turned toward an optimist. I told them to tell their patients the TRUTH, we are not looking for unicorns and rainbows. But never, never take away your patients HOPE. This hope is needed in the recovery process, just like your expertise. Then I closed with this line "Never, ever let your bedside manor kick your patient in the ****!". Thank them all for what they do, and hope they can take away something from this message from me and it will make them all better doctors.

Well, the pessimist doctor does get the last word. He comes in to check on me and looks at the chest tube and removed the bandages. He has me turn on my side away from him. Without any warning, he removes the tube. I about come unglued as I am literally screaming in pain. Nurse is also in room and gives my pain meds both by IV and oral. I settle down pretty quick, still on my side facing away from the doc, and tell him he should have warned me. He says like what, "This is going to hurt, three, two, one. I brace, not knowing what is going on, I brace for more pain. And then hear the door shut as he leaves the room. What an ass.

They started talking about discharging me on Saturday morning. I tell them that they can discharge me in time to be home for the football games, or wait till after, but I am not leaving during the game. They understood and got me home in time for Alabama football.

Since I have been home, I have zero energy, feel horrible, pretty much exactly what I was told, but don't guess I was prepared enough. Should start feeling better anytime, just in time for chemo next Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday to start the cycle again. The oxygen is giving me some breathing relief.

Re:

I haven't been posting alot in here but have been keeping up with it all. Remember you got an offroad army rooting for you and willing to help. Keep your head up and hope you feel better.

My ol' lady is an RN and she said the chest tube surprise is intentional. They do that because if they warn you, you will hold your breath, and that is very bad.

I do pray for your speedy recovery, my friend! :dblthumb:

Re:

**** cancer! And I wish you the best! Hope to be riding with you again soon. All your friends from Ohio wish you the best

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Re:

hey John gimme a name, I will swing through the ATL and pick up Casey and we will stomp a puddle in that fawkers arse!!!

Get well soon John !

I think about you often and I see your attitude as a great example to follow.

Been in hospital since Wednesday. Colapsed lung, got that fixed with chest tube. Today starts second round of chemo. Should get out of here Friday, I think.

JohnG said:
Been in hospital since Wednesday. Colapsed lung, got that fixed with chest tube. Today starts second round of chemo. Should get out of here Friday, I think.

Get with it son! No more hospital visits for you, time to put this all behind you and GOGOGOGO. :dblthumb: :dblthumb: :dblthumb: :dblthumb:

JohnG said:

Prayers for a speedy get to feeling better time. Prayers for your wife and family. Am at a loss of word about your story of the docs. Glad you said what was on your mind and I hope now they have a better understanding of how important hope is!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.