• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Health insurance

race_jeep

I'm looking at quitting my day job and going full time at the brewery, my biggest concern is health insurance, what are the rest of you that are self employed using?

Assuming you have coverage now you can go on Cobra if it's beneficial. For individual policies it depends on what state you live in and is subject to change from one year to the next. I'm in Ga and for individual plans go through the Obamacare (Healthcare Exchange) but everything depends on what state you live in as to what is available. Wife and I had BCBS for years and in 2018 they stopped providing Individual insurance policies so we were forced to go with with Kaiser.

blacksheep10 said:
Finally got my wife's business on a group plan with blue cross blue shield (of ks, no help to you) but it made it like 600 a month cheaper, about 900 now. Was pretty bad for pretty bad coverage

Cork got us a quote through Obamacare n it was $750, so I guess that's not to bad

have a buddy on Medishare and loves it but has only been on it since the 1st of year so not really a true test. I looked into it briefly and found out they do not cover per-existing conditions going back 3 years, wife had cancer awhile back so that did not work for us.

One thing you can do to keep premiums down is to obtain a major med policy for yourself and then another policy for your wife/kids depending on their needs. If you go through Obamacare you have to ask about this, they will not tell you outright they can do it.