• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Leaving it running...

My programmer has a built in turbo timer. I can pull the key from the ignition, lock up, and it will run till the programmer shuts it off. It's supposed to either go 3 minutes or until the EGT's hit 300 but mine will run even after the EGT's hit 300 but wont run for up to 3 minutes. It idles longer if I've been hard on it. beats the hell out of me what it's doing but it's added insurance:redneck:

Also gets you lots of weird looks when you leave your rig running and it shuts off as you're walking away from it:haha:

a few of the computer chips for diesels come with them... i have the Edge Juice with Attitude Platinum in my 04 f250 6.0L it has a egt/turbo shutdown timer you can set it from 30 seconds to 3 minutes or set it by the EGT temp.... if you ask any diesel shop they will tell you that it prolongs the life of the turbo and it is better on the engine that the egt come down to a normal range what that range is i don't remember off hand....

however if you ask a diesel shop that carries a brand of computer chip that doesn't have said timer they will tell you it is not necissary because by the time you pull into the parking spot get your **** together and get out of your truck your EGT's will have gone down to that range....(dynomite diesel)

i figure it can't hurt to use it and my programmer has the option so why not yet i am the guy that has to shut the truck off (press the brake pedal) in the drive-thru because they always tell me they can't hear over my truck (Bank's Monster Exhaust)

it comes down to a Grey area and it become personal choice and what programmer you run i used to have the Bank's Six Gun with the Speed Loader that doesn't come with the timer so you just shut you stuff off..... ofcourse i became a victim to the Egr cooler dying, oil cooler died, head bolts stretched, and so on...... 7k and 1.5 months later Dynomite diesel had it fixed:awesomework:

in my 04 f250 6.0L ....... i became a victim to the Egr cooler dying, oil cooler died, head bolts stretched, and so on...... 7k and 1.5 months later Dynomite diesel had it fixed:awesomework:

That's why I never put a chip in my 05 F250 6.0L. Keep the motor stock, still has plenty of power for my applications.

If you believe everything a diesel shop tells you. You're new to this whole game. They will sell you on their product, and that's all there is to it.

a few of the computer chips for diesels come with them... i have the Edge Juice with Attitude Platinum in my 04 f250 6.0L it has a egt/turbo shutdown timer you can set it from 30 seconds to 3 minutes or set it by the EGT temp.... if you ask any diesel shop they will tell you that it prolongs the life of the turbo and it is better on the engine that the egt come down to a normal range what that range is i don't remember off hand....

however if you ask a diesel shop that carries a brand of computer chip that doesn't have said timer they will tell you it is not necissary because by the time you pull into the parking spot get your **** together and get out of your truck your EGT's will have gone down to that range....(dynomite diesel)

i figure it can't hurt to use it and my programmer has the option so why not yet i am the guy that has to shut the truck off (press the brake pedal) in the drive-thru because they always tell me they can't hear over my truck (Bank's Monster Exhaust)

it comes down to a Grey area and it become personal choice and what programmer you run i used to have the Bank's Six Gun with the Speed Loader that doesn't come with the timer so you just shut you stuff off..... ofcourse i became a victim to the Egr cooler dying, oil cooler died, head bolts stretched, and so on...... 7k and 1.5 months later Dynomite diesel had it fixed:awesomework:

lucky jeff maybe you should re-read what i wrote no where in there was i stating anything about believing the diesel shops i stated things i have been told by them in the past as to what i do to my rigs are my own choices for i am NOT NEW to this GAME

I remember my Jeep Liberty CRD manual said something like 30 seconds for driving under 30 mins, and something like 4 or 5 minutes if you were towing or driving for 2hrs+.

but my duramax manual doesn't say anything.

lucky jeff maybe you should re-read what i wrote no where in there was i stating anything about believing the diesel shops i stated things i have been told by them in the past as to what i do to my rigs are my own choices for i am NOT NEW to this GAME

I find it funny that you run an Edge with attitude if you know these things so well.. Seeing that the boxes have a 30% failure rate and the attitude monitors have a 60% failure rate. Not to mention there is SO much better out there for the 6.0 for programming. But whatever floats your boat.

Last edited:
I think if you just pulled a load up a hill and then swung into a rest stop, you should idle it to cool down the turbo. If you just idled accross town I don't think it matters.

I find it funny that you run an Edge with attitude if you know these things so well.. Seeing that the boxes have a 30% failure rate and the attitude monitors have a 60% failure rate. Not to mention there is SO much better out there for the 6.0 for programming. But whatever floats your boat.

i never said that the edge was the best out there i have ran the banks too thats just what i am running now i never had the edge before a couple of my buddies have them and like them i like the ability to switch levels on the fly it works very well for what i need it for i don't race my diesel it daily drive it from arlington to kirkland and use it to tow my toyota or haul hay for my friends i have heard shitty things about the edge when it comes to jeeps but i havn't had any issues with it on my diesel

I think if you just pulled a load up a hill and then swung into a rest stop, you should idle it to cool down the turbo. If you just idled accross town I don't think it matters.

When I pull a hill with or without a load, and pull into a rest stop....I do let it idle until EGT comes down to 350, 300 if I have the time to sit there (ie...don't have to piss like a racehorse!!!:redneck:)....

What's funny about this whole argument is back in the day when this topic was all the "buzz" the idea was to leave it running so it would cool down slowly...That was proven to be BS so the reasons changed to a couple dozen other BS things....Nobody has brought up letting the turbo slow down RPM's before turning the engine off and letting the turbo spin with no oil supply.......
Just the fact that there are so many different opinions of why people do this is enough to say for sure nobody really knows for sure "why?".
It's pure BS and you're wasting fuel and time when you do this.:cheer:

i never said that the edge was the best out there i have ran the banks too thats just what i am running now i never had the edge before a couple of my buddies have them and like them i like the ability to switch levels on the fly it works very well for what i need it for i don't race my diesel it daily drive it from arlington to kirkland and use it to tow my toyota or haul hay for my friends i have heard shitty things about the edge when it comes to jeeps but i havn't had any issues with it on my diesel

Well, the Edge is an upgrade from the Banks setup :puke:. But if you have an auto, i'd be careful about that edge programming. It is known to kill the auto tranny behind that 6.0 with no other mods.. While the others have better control of the transmission and allow the tranny to survive with even more power.

Well, the Edge is an upgrade from the Banks setup :puke:. But if you have an auto, i'd be careful about that edge programming. It is known to kill the auto tranny behind that 6.0 with no other mods.. While the others have better control of the transmission and allow the tranny to survive with even more power.

I agree! My brother bought an Edge for his 97 PSD. It killed the E4OD! He sold the programmer to another friend, and it killed HIS E4OD! My bro bought the Monster n a box valve body and it works ok? now.

I agree! My brother bought an Edge for his 97 PSD. It killed the E4OD! He sold the programmer to another friend, and it killed HIS E4OD! My bro bought the Monster n a box valve body and it works ok? now.

I'm guessin there were other factors involved in killing those E4OD's...Did they both have gauges? Did they watch those gauges? Do they know what is "too hot"? Do they drive like jackasses? Did it still have the stock cooler? Did they tow alot?

I've got 220k on the E4OD in my 97...A bigger cooler than the factory joke of a cooler and not driving like an idiot most of the time have helped it live behind 160cc stage one injectors.. All on the extreme tune from the edge EVO... Whoohoo....

I'm guessin there were other factors involved in killing those E4OD's...Did they both have gauges? Did they watch those gauges? Do they know what is "too hot"? Do they drive like jackasses? Did it still have the stock cooler? Did they tow alot?

I've got 220k on the E4OD in my 97...A bigger cooler than the factory joke of a cooler and not driving like an idiot most of the time have helped it live behind 160cc stage one injectors.. All on the extreme tune from the edge EVO... Whoohoo....

My bro's has guages, watches them like a hawk, does not drive like a jackass, did still have the stock cooler (at the time), towed a fair amount. 2nd gear went bye bye. Truck only has 129k on it. Got rid of the programmer and got the new valve body. works good now but doesn't like to use 3rd.:eeek:

The other guy drove like a complete jackass!!! Didn't have guages, and a total disregard for his truck. He got what was comin!!

My bro's has guages, watches them like a hawk, does not drive like a jackass, did still have the stock cooler (at the time), towed a fair amount. 2nd gear went bye bye. Truck only has 129k on it. Got rid of the programmer and got the new valve body. works good now but doesn't like to use 3rd.:eeek:

The other guy drove like a complete jackass!!! Didn't have guages, and a total disregard for his truck. He got what was comin!!

It can be a crap shoot with the E4OD sometimes...Especially after a rebuild...If the rebuilder doesn't have a clue (and alot don't) sometimes you're worse off than when it left the factory.

What's funny about this whole argument is back in the day when this topic was all the "buzz" the idea was to leave it running so it would cool down slowly...That was proven to be BS so the reasons changed to a couple dozen other BS things....Nobody has brought up letting the turbo slow down RPM's before turning the engine off and letting the turbo spin with no oil supply.......
Just the fact that there are so many different opinions of why people do this is enough to say for sure nobody really knows for sure "why?".
It's pure BS and you're wasting fuel and time when you do this.:cheer:

i said this in the 7th post on the first page, let the turbo get properly loobed, like i said i am no diesel tech at all, but the mechanic here at work that works on all our semi's said a cummins didnt need to cool but a power stroke has a diff. set up and they need a cool down time but he says it's not vey long.

Just read every post, and to my surprise no one has mentioned camshaft lubrication. Not sure about diesels but, a V8 gasser traditionally is lubed by oil windage (flying oil). So at idle the cam is not sufficiently lubed, because the crank is spinning slow enough to not throw enough oil to the cam. Extended idling can accelerate cam wear. I have read in owners manuals to NOT let your vehicle idle for excessive periods of time.

As for your Fords, Ive heard to put them in "D" and leave it. Dont manually select your gears while towing.

My 2Cents

Cams get their oil from not only windage, but from oil out of the lifters as it gets thru the lifter hole in the block...