• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Lets Talk Batteries

KPatterson

My buggy progress is getting the point where I need to shop for a reliable group 34. One that wont destroy the wallet but still proved many years of use. Shoot...

Hands down the best battery on the market for the type of stuff we do is the Northstar. In my mind there is no debate. They are AGM, made in the USA, and come with a 4 year free replacement warranty. The problem is trying to source them. However, Batteries Plus sells these batteries under their own brand, X2 Power. I don't know how many of you have a Batteries Plus around but I have several all within 10-15 minutes. You also get an extra year on the warranty through Batteries Plus so you get a kickass AGM battery w/5 year free replacement and local support if your junk shits the bed. Hard to beat.

I've had excllent luck with yellow tops ...been hard to beat.

Had 2 in my original cucv when it was diesel and when I put big block in
Moved the same 2 to my buggy after basically a year sitting in the shop, no issues.
Finally replaced them a few years ago after I changed out the trans, bought 2 new ones since they seemed to work

Several times I've used both batteries to winch my rig without the motor running (16.5k warn) and always cranked after heavy use

I just recently had to replace my red top optima... only lasted 20+ years (used when I got it) through 8 or 10 different rigs...
Lol... I replaced it w a new yellow top.... If it's half as good as my old red was I'll be thrilled.

Re:

From what "the guy at interstate batt" said. Optima has declined in longevity within the last few years. Due to new mfg. Suppliers.

But from talking to the Northstar guys at the expo last year them seem to have a good product. Just gotta pay for it.

XS power makes a great product to. Compact also

Re: Re:

hjpcummins said:
From what "the guy at interstate batt" said. Optima has declined in longevity within the last few years. Due to new mfg. Suppliers.

But from talking to the Northstar guys at the expo last year them seem to have a good product. Just gotta pay for it.

XS power makes a great product to. Compact also
I have an xs battery. They are pretty light for the size. Can get different post options as well.

At the expo, when I mentioned that my Sears die hard platinum looked exactly like the north star.....they didn't really argue or debate that, so I almost would think its the same battery. However he did say that the north star would be cheaper.

Re: Re: Lets Talk Batteries

Craig_c said:
At the expo, when I mentioned that my Sears die hard platinum looked exactly like the north star.....they didn't really argue or debate that, so I almost would think its the same battery. However he did say that the north star would be cheaper.
Sears stop carrying the platinum diehard. Price point was too high for the amount they sold. They do sale an AGM gold series diehard.

Mortalis5509 said:
I have an xs battery. They are pretty light for the size. Can get different post options as well.
You mean, "Mark has an XS battery", it is a nice looking, not real heavy battery, I will report back how it performs!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: Re: Lets Talk Batteries

mdo817 said:
You mean, "Mark has an XS battery", it is a nice looking, not real heavy battery, I will report back how it performs!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
At least it will get used then...lol.

Anything wrong with advance auto's agm group 34? With an online code it's around $135..

From what I understand there are about 3 agm battery manufacturers. By far the two best are Northstar and XS. I tried to talk our XS rep into giving me a battery for Black Betty and he declined. I do know the technology in an Optima is dated (wound coils) as opposed to the other brands that have flat plates like a beehive. This is all battery salesmen talk. They are the most annoying of all the suppliers who call on us. Could just be a coincidence. I go through Optimasnlike candy so I'm switching up when mine deads.

I've had great luck with optimas for years, running a yellow top now, maybe I'm just lucky???? But next time I need a battery that's what I'll buy.

Optima used to be bulletproof but they have not been the same since they moved their manufacturing to Mexico. IIRC this was around 5 years ago or so. At least that is when it seems like the quality dropped off. I run nothing but XS and Northstar/Batteries Plus X2 now.