• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Let's talk cutting brakes

vanguard

That rock walker guy
Well, a little carnage has sparked the upgrade bug again. I have a selectable rear locker and a cheap line lock style cutting brake that never really impressed me. The big problem is that I had to pump the brakes several times lock the rear, etc. When using it the front brakes still got a some fluid so I was somewhat overpowering them while I did my dig. Now I'm thinking of a "real" cutting brake from polyperformance.

I'm tempted to using a single cutting brake like this because the plumbing is easier and the single handle should fit in the narrow space between my seats.

d_2395-01.jpg

But I generally try not to let my tendency toward laziness drive my decisions and I'm wondering if I'll regret not install something like this.

d_2397-01.jpg

I'm pretty much just a trail rider and 90% of the time I do a front dig it's just to impress friends because it's cooler than backing up. The other 10% of the time it's actually useful in making an obstacle. So, is locking one wheel much better than locking two? Is it worth is for a trail guy or will I find myself using both levers almost all the time anyway? I read guys on pirate saying if you only lock one wheel it tends to drag and the dream of driving with three wheels while pivoting on the locked one doesn't really work.

What do you think?

Unlock your rearand use L/R rear(single handle--2 different directions), no need to disengage the rear driveline... motor out and use your rear corner as a pivot point.

I think that's the hot setup.

edit, I've got video of cutting brakes on rear corners working great, especially in medium speed tight corner situations.... really dependent on situation if you're bound up in some rocks it isn't gonna work the same as in a rock race setting

I run the second one. I have mine all apart now and can supply pics but its simple.

1 line from master cylinder to lever block, then each lever has a line going to the back to a corner.
Mine is left level to left rear, right to right rear.

Back in my rail job days I used the single lever. They are used to help make both rear wheels pull on a VW based transaxle as well as cornering. I like the single handle cause you could use it alot quicker and with two it is hard to get ahold of the one you need to use. Push Pull just made it easier for me.
Also check into CNC. They have different bores in these as well. I think I used a 7/8" bore for my rear disc brakes.

with a selectable locker - control each wheel

my yota is that way

for a typical dig - pull both - 80-90% of the time
when hooked on a rock pull only the inside one

3wheel digs work when used properly
watch this vid

th_course1.jpg

I back in then turn right thru a big crack/hole
I tried to front dig to get straight in the crack
In hindsight this would be a perfect situation of a 3 wheel dig
front dig wouldn't do it but 4wd wouldn't turn it and would cause a flop
I ended up backing and stacking

Also sliding a hill side in 3wd is very helpful - you don't want to lock the inside tire just not power it so subtle hand control can make your uphill tire be powered

Jeep CJ said:
Push Pull just made it easier for me.
I didn't realize that the first one I listed was push/pull until you said something. I'm leaning toward getting the two lever system even though I know it means a bunch of time flaring, cursing, and stripping brass fittings as I merge american systems to japanese brakes.

You can replace the fittings in the cutting break to what ever brake lines you are using. I had to replace the fittings in mine to run American flare and get away from the VW stuff. If I'm not mistaking I got the fittings at NAPA.

I dont thing it is worth it on your rig for 2 reasons:

1) You dont dodge cones. This wil give you a leg up in We-Rock type events, but for the most part for every time on the trail it helps it will slide or drag 2 times.

2) E-Lockers are slow. You will end up rarely taking the time to unlock the rear to use the side/side brakes properly.

Keep it simple. Just because it is easier does not make it lazy.

Does anybody make a cutting brake with just 1 line in and 1 line out? The only models I seem to find are push/pull and dual lever.

Not that I am aware of due to you need to lock up one wheel or the other is what they are designed for. You could do a single handle and plug one side.

vanguard said:
Does anybody make a cutting brake with just 1 line in and 1 line out? The only models I seem to find are push/pull and dual lever.

why? jsut plumb it to the front - my buggy has a 2in - 2 out one front/rear

one thing you'll want to consider is the bore on them. The two handled ones will have 2 MC's - one for each caliper

A single handled one will only have one MC to lock up 2 calipers.

vanguard said:

Sure they do. CNC. Go direct to the website..

or get the dual level and pin the sticks together until you get the balls to grab the left or right. :flipoff1:

wngrog said:
Sure they do. CNC. Go direct to the website..
All I can find is this. Perhaps I'm mentally challenged in some way?

http://www.cncbrakes.com/cb.asp?grp=cb&subgrp=sh&series=422S&subseries=

vanguard said:
All I can find is this. Perhaps I'm mentally challenged in some way?

http://www.cncbrakes.com/cb.asp?grp=cb&subgrp=sh&series=422S&subseries=

That is the single brake.

This is the 2 in 2 out like I had on my last 2 rigs. Push forward for front and pull back for rear brakes.

I would just do the single on both rears.

wngrog said:
That is the single brake.

This is the 2 in 2 out like I had on my last 2 rigs. Push forward for front and pull back for rear brakes.

I would just do the single on both rears.
So you're saying to buy the push/pull single lever and only plumb half of it to the distribution block on the rear axle.

Did I get that right?

http://polyperformance.com/shop/Single-Handle-Cutting-Brakes-2in-2out-p-283.html

Sorry, I forgot the link. The one you posted looks the same but you can see that the 2 in 2 out has the plumbing on both cylinders.

Heres what I've got. maybe it helps maybe not.

If I hit my brake pedal all 4 corners lock up, so the steer brakes are on bypass. Or I can grab both levers and pull back and lock up the whole backend, or I can grab left or right to slide around tight corners. I like to grab both rears on steep hill descents, helps keep my rearend down if I'm on the gas.

Top fitting is the input from the Master, the next one down is the output to the right rear, the bottom is the left rear.
IMG_2641.jpg

As you can see the lever pivots. You could easily pin the levers together and grab either and lock both sides of the rear.
IMG_2640.jpg