• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

M/T Tire Debate

My son in law had KM2s on his TJ and at 8lbs he would go anywhere in the snow. only had to drop below that a couple of times. He had KM2s and I have MTRs, they seem pretty equal.

I am not a big fan of the Toyo MT, they seemed to have a really hard rubber compound and they are heavy and seem to suck at everything. I have had the misfortune of having 2 sets of these on rigs that I purchased that had them already on. I don't think I will be spending my money on them.

The TrXus MT looks like it comes in the size I want and It looks like a sweet tire, milder version of my TSLs, I like that. Interco makes a nice tire that's for sure.

Also, I am interested in the best place to buy tires like this, some online places offer free shipping but some places seem higher prices then others. I was looking at 4wheelonline.com and Discount tire for info and price.

Last edited:
Out of the ones you listed i've only had km2s. I was happy with their road manners and thought they did decent offroad. Like already mentioned the downside is the fairly thin sidewall. The next mt's i buy will be mtr kevlars.

My last set of 35's were Trxus MT's. Interco does make a good tire but they can't make a round tire to save their ass. They were the most wobbly out of balance radial tires I've ever owned. Don't know if I got a bad set or what. 4WP wouldn't do anything about it.

My last set of 35's were Trxus MT's. Interco does make a good tire but they can't make a round tire to save their ass. They were the most wobbly out of balance radial tires I've ever owned. Don't know if I got a bad set or what. 4WP wouldn't do anything about it.

I hear you there, The set of TSLs I have on beadlocks I balanced with airsoft BBs and they run as smooth as whatever else I have run on this truck.

The 34x9.5x15 TSLs I have measure 33.5" tall and the 33x12.5x15 Duratracks measure 31.5" tall. I might just keep my TSLs for now and run them down a little... they are about 95% tread. The wife and I want to do the full WABDR trip this July and I wanted a tire that has ok road manners for the trip. I have to drive all the way to Stevenson, Wa on slab before I get to gravel roads... seems crazy to run TSLs that for 4 hours on I5. :eeek:

Alot of folks I know that have run the 35" TrXus MT's have been happy with their road manners...and provide decent offroad manners as well...

BFGs work good until the tread fly off or the sidewall bulges.

Your opinion interests me... do elaborate. :redneck:

I said it earlier. Ive never dismounted as many of the SAME brand of tires with bad problems as BFG.

Im not attacking the performance. They perform well, as long as reliability and longevity are not a concern.

For a wheeling tire they kick ass.

I have a 81 toyota in the yard as we speak with a 33x12.50 bfg AT that has big ol bulge in about a 10" long patch of the tread. Makes the whole truck hop up and down!

Others have stated that they are less than desirable. The BFG seems to get the most bad reviews in the thread compared to other tires, so you decide to run them??? Thats were I got lost!

I said it earlier. Ive never dismounted as many of the SAME brand of tires with bad problems as BFG.

Im not attacking the performance. They perform well, as long as reliability and longevity are not a concern.

For a wheeling tire they kick ass.

I have a 81 toyota in the yard as we speak with a 33x12.50 bfg AT that has big ol bulge in about a 10" long patch of the tread. Makes the whole truck hop up and down!

Others have stated that they are less than desirable. The BFG seems to get the most bad reviews in the thread compared to other tires, so you decide to run them??? Thats were I got lost!

No no no, I have not purchased anything yet... I am gathering info now is all. I am taking everyones words and weighing the pros and cons. I like the BFG cause they offer everything I want but I am not happy with the way they last. I have personally had 2 sets of bfg KM1s with bulge/separation issues.

I feel like at the end of the day I will end up with the MTR Kevlar... Seems like it fits the bill the best with its abilities and the price point is good.

My last set of 35's were Trxus MT's. Interco does make a good tire but they can't make a round tire to save their ass. They were the most wobbly out of balance radial tires I've ever owned. Don't know if I got a bad set or what.

I have had 35x12.50R15 and 37x12.50R15 Trxus MT. Never an issue with the 35s. Were great. The 37s were good too, but I did slash a sidewall on some shale (not sure anything sort of an SX or Bogger would survive that though) an one sidewall separated in less than a year. Balance was not bad.
Now the Pitbull Rockers 37x12.50r15 that I have now are a oval tire in comparison to the Trxus!

Next set for me are Nitto Trail Grapplers...

I think I am going to go with the Nitto and stick with 33s. I don't want to deal with the added stress of 35s on the little truck. Plus, I think the Nitto Trail grappler measures a true 33" tall so it will be an upgrade in size over my 31.5" tall 33x12.5 duratracs.

Hi all,

Sh*t! Just cruise Craigslist for mounted radial AT/MT tires on six lug wheels!

Everything I've heard about the Washington Back country Discover Route says it is just a bunch of dirt and gravel roads.

Honestly, I think the Duratrecs should be fine for that trip.

Good luck,

Alan

The 34x9.5x15 TSLs I have measure 33.5" tall and the 33x12.5x15 Duratracks measure 31.5" tall. I might just keep my TSLs for now and run them down a little... they are about 95% tread. The wife and I want to do the full WABDR trip this July and I wanted a tire that has ok road manners for the trip. I have to drive all the way to Stevenson, Wa on slab before I get to gravel roads... seems crazy to run TSLs that for 4 hours on I5. :eeek:

Last edited:
Hi all,

Sh*t! Just cruise Craigslist for mounted radial AT/MT tires on six lug wheels!

Everything I've heard about the Washington Back country Discover Route says it is just a bunch of dirt and gravel roads.

Honestly, I think the Duratrecs should be fine for that trip.

Good luck,

Alan

Oh I know that trip is going to be easy and probably wont even need 4x4. I was using it as an example that's all. I just want to get a new set of tires for the truck and I want them to be dual use cause the truck does see pavement but it also is used for my back woods travel rig. I wouldn't call it hard core wheelin cause Im not really wanting to beat this truck up.... you get the idea.

I have Trxus for my heep and it is a great tire especially in the snow. The tread is a little soft for DD but once you get off the pavement they've been my favorite by far.

I assume your rig has stock gearing as well? You'll be happier with a 33" tire; the jump to a 35" tire would make the lack of gearing start to show.

I assume your rig has stock gearing as well? You'll be happier with a 33" tire; the jump to a 35" tire would make the lack of gearing start to show.

Nah, Im regeared to 4.88 so I need to run a 33" tire at least to get my stock speed to RPM ratio.