• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Matt O's Ultra4 Buggy - EOR Racing #4462

Re: Matt O's S&N Fab Buggy Updates & KOH Prep/Rebuild

I dont think cut down over the counter tabs are going to do it... He needs an excessively long one on the inside and a short one on the outter to combat the problem. ( retab lowers and uppers together... ) He took off the shelf tabs and cut one down ( ALOT ) to get it were its at and obviously it isnt enough.

Will they live like that probably.... will it **** up the cap of the N2 shock... defianetly (aesthetically at a min)
Does Matt wanna deal with it pre Thursday .... thats the real question.

laughing1

Matt, just a thought, but what about a short hoop from one side to the other of the buggy? I did this for my radiator support on mine and it worked out fine. :dunno:

True... could straight bar it from the tubes we put in and hang them similar to how they were on the other straight bar . be just as quick, but that would compromise your "storage" area i think right ?

P said:
I dont think cut down over the counter tabs are going to do it... He needs an excessively long one on the inside and a short one on the outter to combat the problem. ( retab lowers and uppers together... ) He took off the shelf tabs and cut one down ( ALOT ) to get it were its at and obviously it isnt enough.

Will they live like that probably.... will it **** up the cap of the N2 shock... defianetly (aesthetically at a min)
Does Matt wanna deal with it pre Thursday .... thats the real question.

laughing1

I still have the old tabs I can go back to them if need be. I am going to try to flap the bottom flat and it is actually too low in the pics so it will help out some with more N2 in there. We will see if that works, if not I will go back to the old tabs and risk my shocks being molested more from the tires in them. Always something

Took them back off tonight and removed about 1/4" from the bottom edge of the problem tab and went and flexed it up. Problem solved, not more contact with the shocks. I am happy it worked out with minimal hassle for now.

I was bored this weekend and didn't have much going on so I polished some aluminum and just messed around in general. I decided to polish my air shocks after seeing P's almost chrome shocks at KOTH. Thanks for the inspiration. ;D The Fox shocks have a brushed finish, so a fully smooth chrome like look is not really possible. Before I owned the buggy the rear tires rubbed the shocks on compression so it discolored the metal makin them hard to clean up also. I did my best with the little polishing kit I have. I also cleaned up my Warn slugs and put them on. Took them off the jeep for spares before I sold it and they have been the tool box since then.

I pulled my front shocks to polish them and also check the oil level. They only had about 350cc's in each, which is low based on others I have talked to. I am going to add oil front and rear this week. I am very glad I did this because I found two badly bent grade 8 botls holding them in place. Also when I hi-lifted the front end up I was able to inspect the upper links much better and found a BADLY bent heim. I need to mount these air bumps in a bad way, my poly bumps hitting the uppers are bending these $30 joints like pretzels.

Shocks before
SNFabBuggy075.jpg

One Down
SNFabBuggy079.jpg

SNFabBuggy080.jpg

Found This
SNFabBuggy078.jpg

Bling Slugs
SNFabBuggy081.jpg

SNFabBuggy082.jpg

Thanks to Lou for the polishing tips a while back. I am sure it is not up to par for his level of detail, but I think it made a big difference in the looks department. I have been clean up a bunch of the neglected aluminum in the past few weeks and the buggy is looking better and better

I have bigger heims on my steering :flipoff1:

Ok maybe they are the same size laughing1
WHere did you get the aluminum polishing kit?

Matt O. said:
Finished shocks

SNFabBuggy083.jpg

Damn those look good. So what all was involved in that process? I would like to do that to mine.

Matt, either run those heims all the way in....by buying longer links or upgrade the heims to larger. That is not good at all.

Great job on the shocks...that looks bueno.

I bought this cheapo kit

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200334255_200334255

You can use a drill or die grinder with the attachments. Pretty easy, just takes time. Cole, bring your shocks up and we can do it or you can leave them with me. I enjoy doing it.

My final step after the white rouge compound is Mother's polish and a power ball. It shines it up more and acts somewhat like a wax to protect the finish. I was amazed at the difference in the front shocks. I Wish Fox did not put the lateral grooves in the bodies or their shocks so I could get a smooth mirror like finish with sanding, but oh well.

Nolen,
I am not going to redo the tabs so the heim size will be the same. I will have new AL links from Branik at XRRA finals. The heims will be threaded in more with them. The only ones bending are the front uppers because the poly bumps hit them. I don't have the fab tools to mount the air bumps I have sitting on the bench. I really need to do that ASAP. That will solve the heim problem. Beating my rig in a comp last weekend does not help either. Also more oil in the shocks to prevent the bottoming issues will also help.

Looks good man , the shocks cleaned up real nice ! :afro:

Im sure you were no less surprised by the bent heims then I am, its going to happen regardless in the current enviroment your suspension bottoms out in.

Shits lookin sharp man .

Cole, go to Lowes and buy their aluminum tool box polish right where they have the truck boxes. I bought some and polished the frame of my CRF 450r and it looks awesome. I have tried the Wenol's brand and it didn't work half as good. thumb.gif

Thanks for the props guys. The poly bumps hit right at the heim also, it is obvious what the cause is. I hope to be able to get the air bumps installed in October. It is not a problem if I am putting around, but when I hammer on it compounds the problem

you have worked ahrd to make that rig much more capable than it was. I love it! Keep on keeping on.

What is the bumpcan holdup? Is it mounting area?

InDaShop said:
you have worked ahrd to make that rig much more capable than it was. I love it! Keep on keeping on.

What is the bumpcan holdup? Is it mounting area?

The biggest thing for me is the space is tight and on one side it hits the axle tube on the other side it will hit the housing which is much taller off the tube. Plus I don't want to "mess" this up and I need some materials and tools I don't have. Need to get P over for another fab day!

Oh yeah, I also need to limit the travel on the bumps from 4" to 2.5" so they don't hit on the axle at ride height. That just involves me taking them apart and adding a spacer.

yep the issue you are having is very very similiar to what mine was. SPACE and actual mounting at a correct height. When I first got mine it rode on the front bumps. We raised it initially, made the body roll worse, etc. I was going to rework a bunch of rear tube, and my axle truss to work for rear bumps which I had but hadnt figured out mounting.

You know where I ended up.
Selling it all and going to struts.
After it was all said and done it was a $100 per corner upgrade. Solved every problem I had.

InDaShop said:
yep the issue you are having is very very similiar to what mine was. SPACE and actual mounting at a correct height. When I first got mine it rode on the front bumps. We raised it initially, made the body roll worse, etc. I was going to rework a bunch of rear tube, and my axle truss to work for rear bumps which I had but hadnt figured out mounting.

You know where I ended up.
Selling it all and going to struts.
After it was all said and done it was a $100 per corner upgrade. Solved every problem I had.

How does the ORI internal bumpstops work? How hard is the setup to get it all to work? That is an internesting idea for the front of my rig. Hum