• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

MAX GVWR no CDL

creepycrawly

So the DOT E log thread got me thinking and wondering. It seems like there is a lot of knowledge on here, so maybe someone can shoot me straight.

1. Are Uhauls being used to move personal household goods considered commercial and do they have to stop at weigh stations?

2. The 26' Uhaul has air brakes and a 26,000 GVWR. Does that mean that if i put a Uhaul car hauler and jeep behind it, the whole shooting match can't weigh over 26k? What happens if it weighs 28k and I get weighed?

No they do not stop at weigh stations and that 26,000 is combination weight, say truck weighs 14,000 so ur trailer and load can only weigh 12,000. I'd say u could get away with a lot driving a uhaul as far as weight goes because dot knows there is no money pulling ya over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zjman said:
No they do not stop at weigh stations and that 26,000 is combination weight, say truck weighs 14,000 so ur trailer and load can only weigh 12,000. I'd say u could get away with a lot driving a uhaul as far as weight goes because dot knows there is no money pulling ya over

Is it a good idea to change lanes and avoid the "weigh in motion" lanes on principle?

And yes you are allowed 26,000 total gross weight

Edit: I forgot about the 10k trailer thing

If you weigh 26,001 and get weighed you could be subject to an expensive ticket and required to get your load legal before being allowed to move.

Re:

You can drive a box truck tagged and weighing 26k and pull a trailer tagged and weighing less than 10k and still be under cdl requirements. The combination rule doesn't count till 10k. At least in Ohio that is.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

creepycrawly said:
Is it a good idea to change lanes and avoid the "weigh in motion" lanes on principle?

May want to double check on the 26 footers having air brakes. None of the 8-10, 26 footers I have driven over the past 8 years have had air brakes. They do have some serious engine/transmission braking though!

I have never stopped by the Weigh Stations while moving, nor have I been hassled over not stopping. Mind you, all these trips and moves have been in middle and east Tennessee, so some experiences may vary.

Re: Re: MAX GVWR no CDL

ridered3 said:
May want to double check on the 26 footers having air brakes. None of the 8-10, 26 footers I have driven over the past 8 years have had air brakes. They do have some serious engine/transmission braking though!

I have never stopped by the Weigh Stations while moving, nor have I been hassled over not stopping. Mind you, all these trips and moves have been in middle and east Tennessee, so some experiences may vary.
There's some that have air brakes and some that dont. I've towed for a few different rental companies.

onepieceatatime said:
You can drive a box truck tagged and weighing 26k and pull a trailer tagged and weighing less than 10k and still be under cdl requirements. The combination rule doesn't count till 10k. At least in Ohio that is.

Are ya sure about that, the way I read it is different
f4ffbc126273407091accf73a6a0f4a7.jpg

Re: Re: MAX GVWR no CDL

onepieceatatime said:
There's some that have air brakes and some that dont. I've towed for a few different rental companies.

Gotcha. Guess I've just always lucked out/missed out by not getting one with air brakes.

Re: Re: Re: MAX GVWR no CDL

ridered3 said:
Gotcha. Guess I've just always lucked out/missed out by not getting one with air brakes.
I'd rather have air brakes, especially in bigger trucks.

It is difficult to get straight answers about CDL requirements. If you read the info on TN DOT website it looks like a CDL is needed for a trailer over 10k. But TN troopers are also DOT officers. I called a 25+ year trooper recently and asked if I needed to get a CDL for the 35k GVW F750 that I am building with air brakes and 18k trailer. He said no since it would not be used commercially. He told me that I could use an 18 wheeler as a daily driver legally if I wanted. He said I should be legal crossing state lines but I know some states don't see it that way. I am still unsure if I will get a CDL.

When I bought the Joint tags for my dually, the clerk said to cover the maximum combined weight and it didn't matter if it was over 26k. Just be sure that the total weight was not over the tag limit. I made several calls at that time and talked to the supposed "Expert" for the regulations at TDOT. He told me the same thing as my county clerk.

I can't see how weight would matter, CDL = Commercial.

That's not to say that you wouldn't /couldn't be fined for being loaded heavier than your vehicle/trailer is rated for, but you aren't instantly a "commercial" driver just because you haul your camper and 2 rock crawlers on a 50' goose neck.

As long as you are not making money for hire then its not commercial. If you were hauling **** for someone in the u haul for hire, then you would have a stop at weigh stations and have a commercial DL. I just haul/tow whatever I want (not for hire). I will never know the exact laws until I get busted lol :rolf:

I'm in Ky so other states may be diff. Here if its private coach, rv, or not for hire you are exempt on all those including 26001 gvw. If your commercial and gross combined weight is over 26001 lbs you need cdl's. So say you have a F-350 with a GVW of say 14k and you hook up to a duel tandem goose neck with a 14k gvw now that's a cdl combo in Ky because combined gvw is 28k. Now here is something that confuses lots of folks my tool truck has a gvw of 26k with air brakes and air ride. All I have to have is a DOT card ie medical card. If it was 26,001 I would need cdl's and a air brake endorsement. Like I said again I'm in Ky and all this came from a inspection officer thats a neighbor.

Sawzall said:
It is difficult to get straight answers about CDL requirements. If you read the info on TN DOT website it looks like a CDL is needed for a trailer over 10k. But TN troopers are also DOT officers. I called a 25+ year trooper recently and asked if I needed to get a CDL for the 35k GVW F750 that I am building with air brakes and 18k trailer. He said no since it would not be used commercially. He told me that I could use an 18 wheeler as a daily driver legally if I wanted. He said I should be legal crossing state lines but I know some states don't see it that way. I am still unsure if I will get a CDL.

When I bought the Joint tags for my dually, the clerk said to cover the maximum combined weight and it didn't matter if it was over 26k. Just be sure that the total weight was not over the tag limit. I made several calls at that time and talked to the supposed "Expert" for the regulations at TDOT. He told me the same thing as my county clerk.
Perry register that thing as a RV and dont look back. Way cheaper and less hassle.

Latest posts