• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

MC defective product?

2slow4you

I'm starting to think that my bumper was defectively made. I'd like some insight from the rest of you.

1st. This is the second MC rear (4runner) bumper I have purchased. The first one that was purchased (over 2 years ago) was great, fit and finish was top notch, it was also made much beefier then the current one (1/2" frame brackets, that carried through to d-rings, for example). No complaints with the first, which recently lead me to purchasing another for my current IFS 4runner.

2nd. Since the purchase, about a month and a half, I have been to Walker 3 times, and during those times I have managed to bend the bumper on 2 of those occasions. Both at low speeds and one at a drop of 1-2 feet and the other was caused by a tank trap that grabbed onto my bumper... nothing crazy!

3rd. I had Zukkev bend my bumper back after the 1st time to an almost original state. At the same time I had him do the frame bracket welds so that the bracket would not twist under impact. Today i bent the other side to a point were the side support bent up and smacked the side of my body. I need to point out that this is a stock suspension 87 4runner with an ez-locker in the rear. It does not see any hard trails.

I'm getting sick and tired of having a bumper that does not fullfill its intended purpose. I know MC doesn't put out crap, so is it a possibility that this bumper has a defect in the material? I plan on calling MC tomorrow and figuring something out with them. Helpful/usefull input would be Great!

:awesomework:

Last time
Picture676.jpg

Picture673.jpg

This time

Picture679.jpg

Picture680.jpg

Last edited:
Was it straight when you installed it?? If so then I'd say you hit something.

Was it straight when you installed it?? If so then I'd say you hit something.

Installation on this bumper was dead on, other then it being a little tight on the side support mounts.

Of course I hit something a rock from 1-2 ft up.... (i don't think you read the entire post)

My friend who followed me through the same stretch in his IFS toyota smacked his bumper in the same spot and it didnt bend... And his is a smitty built.... :mad:

Installation on this bumper was dead on, other then it being a little tight on the side support mounts.

Of course I hit something a rock from 1-2 ft up.... (i don't think you read the entire post)

My friend who followed me through the same stretch in his IFS toyota smacked his bumper in the same spot and it didnt bend... And his is a smitty built.... :mad:

I'd say its a yota thing and you hit it harder. Maybe your frame has more rust or is weaker than his.

I think you should make a big old stink thread on PBB and DEMAND a refund.. :stirpot:

:corn:

looks like you bent some small diameter tube. Expect it.

The smittybuilt was probably 3" tube :D

If it is defective, its probably from the engineering.

all bumpers sold as bolt ons should clearly be labled as "for show only".

learn anything?

Need a custom bumper made for killing trees? PM if so.

I get so tired of people asking about a bumper, and then they reply, "I can get one at ------ for this much less?"

I tell them go get it tiger.:beer:

all bumpers sold as bolt ons should clearly be labled as "for show only".

learn anything?

Need a custom bumper made for killing trees? PM if so.

I get so tired of people asking about a bumper, and then they reply, "I can get one at ------ for this much less?"

I tell them go get it tiger.:beer:

thats awesome. sounds about right tho :awesomework:

A product should not be advertised as... "Remember this is a Rock Crawler bumper, and a darn fine one too!" if it can't even take a little 1' drop.

Yes i do plan on calling and causing a stink. because between purchasing the bumper and the cost of having it bent back into shape I could have had any number of you build me a bumper that could take a far better beating for the same price.

Aw hell, I've bent much more burly bumpers.

Live and learn.

Whatever you have is breakable/bendable. If you don't want it tweaked, don't take it offroad.

Aw hell, I've bent much more burly bumpers.

Live and learn.

Whatever you have is breakable/bendable. If you don't want it tweaked, don't take it offroad.

I expect damage to a certain point. For those that have wheeled with me know that I'm a fairly cautious person and rightfully so due to my sweet IFS rig:rolleyes: I don't hit anything hard and to have such a "rockcrawler" bumper bend like it's made out of exhaust pipe... well, that's a little upsetting.