• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Miller - Lincoln - Hobart

Which welder BRAND would you favor?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TreeClimber

I need to replace the welder that has been 'loaned' to me for the last several years.

I'm looking for MIG capabilities, around 180 to 210 amps, using 220V. Would like to be able to weld up to 3/8ths

Of the three manufactures, which BRAND would you lean towards and why?

Thanks.

i vote miller....its the only brand ive ever had...got the first one in 1988 the sidekick 110v wire feed....still have it and working great hasnt broke yet...then i got the millermatic 175 a few years ago 220v...no probs with it either....

I've used both Lincoln and Millers, and would recommend either. I have no experience with Hobarts, but they seem to be pretty affordable for what you get?

I don't know what makes a welder weld different from another, but In my experience using all of the above in every class, and owning a lincoln, I would never buy anything but a miller.

Tony at the fab shop I work at we have 8 differant type and sizes of welder, All of them are Miller and never any trouble with any of them.My vote for you is a 220v TIG welder so you can weld both steel and Alum.:awesomework:

I've used a mm210 and a lincoln 140.

Just comparing welding 1/8" to 1/8" material, the mm210 was a hell of a lot easier to use. It seems to strike an arch much easier than the lincoln did.

But honestly, I don't know if it was because of the difference between amperage on the machines.

We have all of the above at work and all are good machines in my opinion. As long as you stay within the brands listed just buy the specific welder for the features it has.

We have all of the above at work and all are good machines in my opinion. As long as you stay within the brands listed just buy the specific welder for the features it has.

Binder,
Since I'm going to buy 'New' one, I thought I'd see if I could get a general preference between real world users. They all have similar features, similar prices, etc... Now I've heard that one of those three was actually being manufactured by one of the others, but I can't really remember the conversation, so I'm not fully sure. I've also heard the some have plastic rollers inside, some metal rollers, hence can get longer life out of them & stuff like that. If it's a small cost increase, I don't mind stepping up to the better unit. But if it's the same unit, what the heck, I'll get the cheaper one.
So, if you were going to go buy one, which?
Thanks,
TreeClimber

If I had to buy one it would be the one I got the best deal on. Keep in mind that I work for a large construction company and I don't have to maintane my own equipment. I don't know what the stuff is made from, if it craps I just send it back to the shop.
You might get a better answer from a welding board than from a web wheeling board.

Binder,
Since I'm going to buy 'New' one, I thought I'd see if I could get a general preference between real world users. They all have similar features, similar prices, etc... Now I've heard that one of those three was actually being manufactured by one of the others, but I can't really remember the conversation, so I'm not fully sure. I've also heard the some have plastic rollers inside, some metal rollers, hence can get longer life out of them & stuff like that. If it's a small cost increase, I don't mind stepping up to the better unit. But if it's the same unit, what the heck, I'll get the cheaper one.
So, if you were going to go buy one, which?
Thanks,
TreeClimber

seems like I have heard Lincoln makes Millers a hundred times, but have no clue if its true.I voted boobies cuz I bought a Snap On 230 mig years ago off of craigs list and used the **** out of it. the newer migs seem to do a nicer job.

I used to work at a rock quarry for along time and we had miller welders (diesel) and lincoln wire feeders, never had problems with either.

Go to your local shops and ask what they warrenty the most and stay away from those models. Just DONT buy a 110 volt unit, they suck no matter who makes them.:awesomework:

also make sure its consumables (tips, nozzles) are not wierd. get one with a stinger that is very popular and easily servicable. I got a good deal on the snap on, but had a hard time finding gun parts. I ended up spending the money I saved on a tregaskis gun (same as miller) and adapter fittings.

I have a Lincoln Powermig 250 here at home. Im real happy with it. At work we use Miller power units with remote wire feeds. Were feeding 1/16" wire at around 300 amps and 30 volts. We typically weld anything from 3/8 to 4" steel.

I also have a Airco Heliwelder 250. I got it for free, just had to fix a diode in the power supply. It runs TIG welds all day long (water cooled torch.)

Miller owns Hobart. Although they own Hobart, they product lines are different.

My next purchase will be a Miller Syncrowave 250. :cool:

Last edited:
i voted for lincoln, even though i really like miller. my reasoning why is we got these two new lincolns at school that are basically the newest mig technology out there. they can do aluminium, stainless, steel, and they have a spray arch setting which now gives you a ton more penetrating power into the metal than just normal short arch. i will defianntly be buying a lincoln just like the ones we have at school for my next welder

find a way to try them both and see which one you like best every one can tell you lincoln or miller but it comes down to what you like. I preferred the lincoln. Had them both at school both good welders.