• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Mixing Antifreeze Colors

jimpaget

I added some "green" antifreeze to a 2005 Toyota Sienna a few minutes ago. Once the level came up I saw that the old antifreeze was "red". Any issues? I only moved the car about 4 feet and shut it down so the green is all in the overflow tank.

Similar question - late '90s Saturns. Did they require a special antifreeze and do they still require a special antifreeze?

'05 Sienna has Toyota Long Life Red (yes, they too have their own version of dexcool now--but it's much better!!!)...The biggest ill effect this will have is the service life of the red is now equivalent to that of standard ethylene glycol (green); that and the coolant will appear dirty due to the mixing of the colors......However, I would advise sucking out the green or removing it and draining it, and filling the resivoir with the proper coolant...

Is there a warning on the product label for the antifreeze to not be mixed with others colors and/or other brands?

If no, then there is no issue. Because if there was an issue, the manufacturer would have already been sued for it and then their only recourse to protect themsleves against similar lawsuits would be to provide the user with a warning.

It's called Product Liability

The two coagulate and depending on how much you put in there it may or may now do anything. But I have seen what looks like spaghetti noodles before.

The two coagulate and depending on how much you put in there it may or may now do anything. But I have seen what looks like spaghetti noodles before.

this is what i had seen also. But this was when dexcool had first come out.

Do you realy want to find out? Bet it is an expensive repair to fix if it causes problems.

I have heard this before but in 14 years in the business have never seen it. As Crash said, Dexcool will do that crap, hence the reason GM was involved in a class action lawsuit about that crap.:stirpot:

Long life coolants are silicate free. Ethelyne Glycol (green) has silicates. The info I have read is they can be mixed but you loose the long life of the silicate free coolant. The same aticle that I was reading in the trade magazine stated thate once silicate based coolants have been introduced to a cooling system that silcate free coolant will never give the longer effective life no matter how well the block is flushed. wether that is true or not, i don't know but I will never recomend to a customer to switch to Green in a system that has not been previously contaminated.

It sucks but you can't really go by color any more. So many companies are using the same base coolant and having color added that you never really know what it is.

That being said I wouldn't mix a long life and a standard especially if one is a silicate and one is an organic mix.

Usually the stuff at the wrecking yard is still green after it goes thru a window screen and into a jug for $1 a gallon. :redneck:

Im scared of anything thats not green in my radiator.

I've seen Dexcool over time leave a nice mud paste inside everything.

had this happen to my blazer shortly after I first bought it..

the previous owner had let air get into the cooling system which the Dexcool does not like much, then a nice paste build up and shortly after a blocked heater core...

not too fun to tear apart and replace...