• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

My chevy chevy chevy.......

boardbysled

Tree Nerd.
So, no start issue with my 97 Chevy 2500 5.7l.

Yesterday, noticed it was hard to start in the afternoon, but started just fine after it did get started. This morning it started fine until I stopped to get fuel, then wouldn't start at the gas station, cranks over great but no start.

I've noticed my fuel pump has been pretty noisey, and I can usually here it prime, but this morning when it wouldn't start the fuel pump wasn't making a bit of noise.

So this leads me too believe its the fuel pump. I have heard it is common in these rigs. Am I correct in this assumption?

Also, would this rig have the sending unit and fuel pump all in one or can I just replace the fuel pump? Is it easier to drop the tank or pull the bed back a bit?

I always pulled the bed on my truck to do any work like that. Personal preference I'm sure. But I thought it was easier.

You should be able to just get the pump if you want. An it's a lot easer to pull 6 bolt an lift one side of the bed then drop the tank.

Last edited:
So, no start issue with my 97 Chevy 2500 5.7l.

Yesterday, noticed it was hard to start in the afternoon, but started just fine after it did get started. This morning it started fine until I stopped to get fuel, then wouldn't start at the gas station, cranks over great but no start.

I've noticed my fuel pump has been pretty noisey, and I can usually here it prime, but this morning when it wouldn't start the fuel pump wasn't making a bit of noise.

So this leads me too believe its the fuel pump. I have heard it is common in these rigs. Am I correct in this assumption?

Also, would this rig have the sending unit and fuel pump all in one or can I just replace the fuel pump? Is it easier to drop the tank or pull the bed back a bit?

Never assume.....

Your right, I'm gonna start with the simple stuff first, check for codes, fuses, relays, and grounds. What is the proper way to test if the fuel pump is good? Pressure test? Any other common issues to test for?

Bleed pressure off ans check with a guage--should hit like 35-40psi --start there..

Next time it dont start spray some gas in the intake when cranking and see if it fire up. If it does its most likely the fuel pump.

Also a quick pinch of the return hose will tell you if its just the regulator.

My vote is pump. Common.

Next time it dont start spray some gas in the intake when cranking and see if it fire up. If it does its most likely the fuel pump.

Also a quick pinch of the return hose will tell you if its just the regulator.

My vote is pump. Common.

Assumptions--all that tells you is its a fuel concern--a good tech will check the correct variables and not guess..

Assumptions--all that tells you is its a fuel concern--a good tech will check the correct variables and not guess..

Assumptions based on a few FACTS.

We dont need a tech, only a redneck with an empty water bottle full of gas with a slit in the cap.

Its a 5.7, pretty simple. Unless its a crappy vortech.

Owner said he cant hear pump, pump was getting noisy first, the mileage points to pump failure.

If it smells like a rat and eats cheese, we better get a biologist to run tests and make sure.

Assumptions based on a few FACTS.

We dont need a tech, only a redneck with an empty water bottle full of gas with a slit in the cap.

Its a 5.7, pretty simple. Unless its a crappy vortech.

Owner said he cant hear pump, pump was getting noisy first, the mileage points to pump failure.

If it smells like a rat and eats cheese, we better get a biologist to run tests and make sure.

But is the pump quiet due to no restriction? I have seen it--again facts are only that till checked (so a fact can be also an assumption).

Also 97' would make in a vortec.

Your right, I'm gonna start with the simple stuff first, check for codes, fuses, relays, and grounds. What is the proper way to test if the fuel pump is good? Pressure test? Any other common issues to test for?

check the shrader valve just poke it with a key when it dont start an see if any fuel comes out. if not then you no your not getting fuel. its possable that the relay for the pump is going out also

check the shrader valve just poke it with a key when it dont start an see if any fuel comes out. if not then you no your not getting fuel. its possable that the relay for the pump is going out also

I have seen many more problems with the UBEC and contact issues on the trucks more than a relay. Easy way to bypass the relay is simply remove it--flip it over and see what terminals are 30/87 and jumper those (at the same time you can verify the terminal contact)

I have seen many more problems with the UBEC and contact issues on the trucks more than a relay. Easy way to bypass the relay is simply remove it--flip it over and see what terminals are 30/87 and jumper those (at the same time you can verify the terminal contact)

Ive bypassed the relay many a times and hit the pump with a hammer:redneck: Better than pushing into the shop.

Also if its a vortec pressure should be 60-65psi

Ok, did some diag in the rain the best I could.

First thing I did was squirt fuel in the throttle body. No start.

Second thing I checked was fuel pump relay. It looks good, no obvious melting, no clicking when trying to start.

Next thing I checked was the schrader valve on the fuel rail on the back of the motor. Pushed it in and no fuel came out.

Tried kicking on the tank, nothing. No noise coming from the fuel pump.

Thinking fuel pump...

Ok, did some diag in the rain the best I could.

First thing I did was squirt fuel in the throttle body. No start.

Second thing I checked was fuel pump relay. It looks good, no obvious melting, no clicking when trying to start.

Next thing I checked was the schrader valve on the fuel rail on the back of the motor. Pushed it in and no fuel came out.

Tried kicking on the tank, nothing. No noise coming from the fuel pump.

Thinking fuel pump...

Jumper the relay like I stated above and kick the bottom of the tank and listen for the pump trying to run.