• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

My Fairleady

LandSpeeder

King of the Bammers
I have the 12K Harbors Freights wench on my digger. It simply works. It came with the biggest roller Fairleady that EBT can buy. I'm talking HUGGGE. This weekend at the HL ride, I beat it like it was attached to my crotch. And it's all kinds of tweaked.
I HAVE to fix my entry point for sure and remove this enormous roller fairlead in the process... Can a hawse fairlead survive steel cable? Or should I just pony up for some synthetic line?

Thoughts?
And as always, ROH TAHDE ROH.

with how cheap rope has become it is just not even an option anymore in my opinion.

There are even vendors on Pirate that will have sales where you can get the rope and they will throw in the fairlead for free.

Steel hawse for steel cable. thumb.gif
Alum. hawse for rope.

Alum. hawse and cable will wear very fast. Steel hawse can work for rope but needs to be very smooth / polished.

So, keep the steel cable for now. And pick up a steel hawse from the Doll Hair Genny Rolls?
GO IT!

I do anticipate getting synthetic rope at some point. Just not RIGHT NOW. I kinda need to fix importnat things, like, gas pouring out trying to go up Viper. Oh, and power steering lines bursting like a MRSA Boil, all over the trail... Thems is kinda important things that need addressing first...

Yep get you a steel hawse now and use it with the cable. Then when you get some rope just clean the burs (not bears, they actually help) off the steel hawse till it is smooth again and ride out. Unless you get a new free hawse with a rope purchase.

Re:

I was in the same boat as you with those gigantic roller fairleads. I picked up a steel one from Amazon and have been using it.

The steel fairlead works great with the cable and then when I got a rope all I did was take a flap disc and smooth out where the cable marked it up and have been using the steel hawse on the rope with no issues.

I've got a brand new roller fairlead from a 12k Harbor Freight winch that you can have if you want it. I'm located in Hayden, AL

The red baron has an aluminum hawse fairlead with winch cable. It roughed it up around the edges the few times I actually had to pull the winch, but nothing to really worry about....then I went to winch rope. If you don't use the winch often, I don't think it will matter much. Maybe buy an aluminum fairlead on the cheap, use the winch only when absolutely needed, until you can upgrade to winch rope?

Latest posts