• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

My motor shakes bad at certain Rpm's. Wtf

400 sbc. I should have mentioned. It and the 454 are Internally balanced unlike a 350 if that tells ya anything .. Hey I'm just going by what I have read :****: I read and read then the next thing I know they talkin bout some **** I have never heard of .. How the **** do most of y'all understand the motor so good? I get a lil bit but man there's a lot to the internals of a Fukin motor. It's to much for me I think..
Backstory.
- ran like **** for a year and a half or so ..
- Chad I just about timing and then it ran pretty good, except when id put it in gear or try to change from drive to rev ..
- last weekend Steveo adjusted timing, now runs and does NOT cut off , ever. Fukin finally!!!
Well I didn't notice it till I put the 44's on it and took it down the road. It vibrates at certain Rpm's, and will NOT when I coast with foot off the gas... See I was thinking this..
- I had to welded rear drive shaft back on after it bottomed out and broke at stony Lonesome . So we know that **** ain't balanced .. Ha
- I cut the rubber run flats in the 44's with a dam sawzall. So they waaaay out of balance.
- I built the thing.. :-\
Was gonna put diff tires on there and see if it did it. I swear it feels like it's in the drive line. Under my seat actually. But it's never done it before.. I dont know if changing the timing would do it but I like the way it runs now, other than on the road. Man I Hope this makes sense.. FAWK

Also I forgot to Ad. I found my motor mount on the left side. (With 3 bolts) had 2 in it and one was loose so I fixed that. Then noticed the rubber biscuit lookin motor mounts weren't good and tight so.... I admit I hit Em with a badass impact and tightened them. Down. Good. Like really good. Just Tryin fill y'all in on everything incase it helps. And thanks again for the advice John G. Next time we ride and u go to bed at 9... I'll have me a stroker motor and you'll have this one in solo with a propane bottle right behind your head by the time u wake up. :cougar:
Man I'm up there right now. wanna figure this out

Re:

onepieceatatime said:
I heard 5.3 motors run pretty smooth???

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

That's what I've heard.

You don't want that wore out 400 anyways, just toss it on a pallet and send it this way :dblthumb:

Check ur firing order.... A couple switched wires can do funny things.

Check ur dizzy cap... Cracked, wet, carbon tracks.... Or just replace it...

If ur sparky wires are more than a year or so old or damaged/questionable in any way replace em...

Spark plugs... These can do chitty things... At least pull em n check color.

Yes 400 is externally balanced and MUST have the correct flywheel and balancer on it.

Check bell housing bolts... Loose or missing is bad umkay.

Besides adjusting the timing, SteveO also repaired no less than 2 bad plug wires AND capped open ports on your mixer

Also will it shake sitting still in neutral at the right rpm or only under load?

Compression test done on engine? Excessive blowby? Oil consumption?

Put a set of good street tires on it, probably find out is a wheel or tire. While you have the wheels off check rotors/ brakes, axle shafts ect. for damage . I read you checked the drive shafts but did you check for a dent and put a wrench on all the bolts.
Question, is it a teeth rattling knock you out of the seat type vibration or a tickle you feet kind of a thing?

OOPS, I just read where you said you get the vibration sitting still and "mashing your motor". Start at the bottom of the engine, front to back, putting a wrench on any bolt involved in the rotating assembly including the TC bolts. Beings you have had some ignition issues, probably going to find your problem there.

bbone said:
Besides adjusting the timing, SteveO also repaired no less than 2 bad plug wires AND capped open ports on your mixer
This is correct .. Thanks Ben. I'm gonna swap them wires out for new ones, and check all the bolts now.

Gottagofast, yes it will do it sitting still when sittin still. Oil level is always good. And u lost me on the blow by. Thanks

Kush you queer. Answer your damn phone. Was gonna tell you how to check blow by and what else to looks for. Add bastard

Wooooooo Fukin hoooooo. Ok. I ain't gonna lie. Found a plug wire the needed replacing. It had melted again. I put new one on and route it diff and put one of them lil sleeves on it just Incase. Cranked it and my **** sounded like a nascar motor. Wow what a difference all cylinders make.. ::)

I don't have an excuse, and I feel dumb. Thanks for the help fellas. Ain't outta the woods. I ain't drove it yet. But ya can bet that ass I'm bout to. Dam I hope that's it. That **** was some shakin weak sauce on the road.