• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

My TLT build

SnoFalls

Well, I'm bitten by the bug ...

I've been reading LOTS over at rccrawler.com, and decide to start out with "shafty". Also the sticky here has been helpful in deciding how to progress.

So, the plan so far is ...
Get a TLT kit (ultimatehobbies)
Get a 'pede tranny and 55T (tammieshobbies)
Get wideners (thecrawlerstore)
tires/rims/shocks/misc (tower)
Extended links (home fab)
locker it up (home fab)

I'm hoping to run with a stockish chassis for a bit, and start to work on a tuber. (I enjoy brazing/soldering models so can't wait to get into that).

One thing I'm lacking in is electronics ...
I have an decent (for the era) Airtronics 2ch (FM) tx/rx I could use, but it's about 10 years old and I wouldn't ming having a newer radio with some actual features ... Any suggestions? Perhaps this?

That should be a decent start to play from I suspect ...
Any big items I'm missing?

Looks like you are on the right track with your build. I've seen some modded chassis work rather well, and people have also used some kind of aluminum shock towers to make a chassis on the cheap. See this thread for more info http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29659&highlight=shock+tower

Torsion chassis are also getting more popular, and are ultra cheap to fab.

If your old radio works, I'm sure it's fine, and the airtronics is probably better quality than the Traxxas radios people use. It's not like you are ever very far away when crawling. The only issue you may have is if you want a 3rd channel to add a front dig or rear steer (can't use rear steer in a comp anyways).

Good luck with the build, and let us know if you need any help.

Todd

PS - where are you located?

update

well, got enuf of the stuff to start workin ...

I'm goin' for a scorpion "scale" build ... spent a night bendin' and brazin' ... unfortunately I was also boozin'.

mockup.jpg

(sry the picture is so "cluttered")

In that pic, the GC would be around 4", the WB is 12" and the TW around 11" ...

I'm thinkin the CG is a bit too high, but once I get links and such worked in, I might be able to lower it some (and still maintain reasonable flex).

Being that the tube work above was done in about 4 hours (and 8 or so :beer:) ... I decided to actually do this properly and so bent up some more tube. (I'm also a neurotic perfectionist, so having a something 1mm off square just bugs me ...)

bends.jpg

I'll take my time this go around (and lay off the boozin) ... I should be able to reuse some of the 1st gen tubes so shouldn;t be too much of a waste ...

So if you ask me, the first go-round looks pretty sweet! Of course, you can't tell how far out of square it is, but it looks pretty good.

I did notice the Silver Bullet in the background though :redneck:

Todd1803 said:
So if you ask me, the first go-round looks pretty sweet! Of course, you can't tell how far out of square it is, but it looks pretty good.

I did notice the Silver Bullet in the background though :redneck:

Ya it looked good to me when I was over on Sat. That shop has bullet boxes all over the place.....hahahaha ...J/K Rob....:cheer:

looks pretty nice i must say, that should qualify for the scale class if you should ever come out to a comp.......:redneck:

Been quite a while since I did an update ... (click for bigger pics)

I expect the ride height to drop about 1/2" when I get the batteries, interior, etc added on ...

It's rubbing a bit if I fully flex (the beer can test doesn't hit tho). I think a bit of tubing on the shock shafts might eliviate that.

I'm thinking seriously about the 123racing.com setup for batteries (I have nothing now anyways) ...

I might go for a DX3 radio too (not sure on that yet tho) ...

im not even done with my super yet and already want a shafty as well. The reason I built my super is for the realism factor. And well lets face it, you dont get more realistic than a shafty.