• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

My toyota starts then dies

Ed Bister

I have a 22re in my toyota 4runner and I have replaced the mass air sensor and fuel filter. I don't understand why it would run great one day then all of a sudden after my last wheelin trip I flopped and now it only runs for 15 -20 seconds and dies.........but it ran great the rest of the day after the flop and unloading it at home after but i tried to start it a couple days ago and it wont run for more then a few seconds. It seems to have good spark as it fires up on the first crank but will not stay running for long. while it runs it seems to run great but all of a sudden it seems like it runs out of gas.

I know I have seen a few of these threads on here with this same problem I was hopeing that someone had a solution for what the problem was.:beer:

Check the fuel pressure. A friend of mines toy powere sami did the same thing, turned out to be a fuel pump that would only work for a short period of time

Check the fuel pressure. A friend of mines toy powere sami did the same thing, turned out to be a fuel pump that would only work for a short period of time

I took the fuel filter off and pumped a gallon of fuel into a can with it and it seemed to pump fine is there a way to monitor the fuel presure and see if I lose presure when it dies?

I took the fuel filter off and pumped a gallon of fuel into a can with it and it seemed to pump fine is there a way to monitor the fuel presure and see if I lose presure when it dies?

Call Billy and have him put you in contact with Cory Sherbon. Cory knows them 22re's in and out and should be able to figure it out pretty easy.

i would definately look up the spec for fuel pressure, i see rigs in the shop all the time with pumps that are just barely out of spec, thats all it takes.:awesomework:

Fuel pressure regulator

Located by fire wall on fuel rail has a vacume line hooked to it diaphrams dry out eventually ,It sound like like you have fuel pressure but its has no continous flow ....
Ill look in the morning to see if ive got one Useually on any EFI intake some body should have one laying around There $90 new :mad:75% positve thats the problem ...ran across that problem more then once other wise I would not put my .2 cents in..

Located by fire wall on fuel rail has a vacume line hooked to it diaphrams dry out eventually ,It sound like like you have fuel pressure but its has no continous flow ....
Ill look in the morning to see if ive got one Useually on any EFI intake some body should have one laying around There $90 new :mad:75% positve thats the problem ...ran across that problem more then once other wise I would not put my .2 cents in..

I have a extra one! maybe i will try it as it's free parts! Thanks Broski!!:beer:

OK after a new fuel filter an pump I did a test with my new test light and the pump was only getting power when it was turning the motor over when the engine fired the pump stoped pumping so i went down to the local wrecking yard got me a new fuel pump relay and she runs like a champ again!!

I just wanted to post that i got my junk running and Horus and I will be going to the jan 2 WOW hangover run. See yall there!!:beer: