• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

naches/manastash memorial day???

abe lincoln

so without starting a bitchfest what have you all heard about naches and manastash for this memorial day weekend. the little bit of info i have found is that like usual they(FS, DNR, WDFW) are talking like it may be closed, but no one has a final answer.

what have you heard and where did you find the info to back it up with?

I've heard that Naches may be closed until June 15th and it's possible Liberty will be closed as well. I don't think the official decision has been made yet.

I live over here and snowmobile all over there, this year has quite a bit of snow still up there. But if you do come over make sure to bring half naked women please

TRAIL CLOSURES BEING DISCUSSED: In response to public and internal concerns, the Naches District Ranger is considering a closure for trails on the district from December 15 through June 15.

Typically, May is usually a rainy month. With snow in the high country and the effects of rain in lower elevations, trail use by motorized and some non-motorized users (bicycles and stock users) can greatly impact trails at this time of the year. In addition, efforts by Forest Service employees and user groups to clear these trails earlier in the season to make them ready for summer use have the potential to increase impacts. The more impacts in the early season, the harder it is for trail crews and volunteers to clear and repair trails. This leaves trails damaged going into the summer season, with volunteers and crews playing catch up. Crews often do not complete trail rehabilitation caused by early season use so work is carried over to the next season, compounding needed repairs.

We are asking the public for suggestions on alternate closure dates or other suggestions to mitigate areas of concern. Send comments on how to mitigate trail damage due to early season use primarily during periods of snow melt, high precipitation or heavy use to [email protected].

Maybe an altitude closure should be put in place? :redneck: Trails below 4000' are open year round. :D

I know a lot of trails climb fast, but maybe some of the lower trails in the area could be opened before memorial day... Although you then get THAT much more travel on those trails like we saw a year ago now on the Kaner Trail Massacre. :booo:

One problem with letting the lower elevations be open to travel will be the monitoring. Some one has to say when and where to turn around.

Another problem is the run off. The ground moisture content won't be any lower, just because we are at a lower elevation. Although, the lower elevations usually have established water travel routes (run-off drainage).

And Like Boonie said, the added travel would have a negative impact.

I have been trying to figure out why Memorial day is such a big deal.

I get that it's kinda the kick off of camping season. I also get that some get paid for that day(I don't), but are there other reasons?

Don't get me wrong, I think it's kinda cool seeing all the big groups rolling in. We are usually there and set up by tuesday, so it's kind of like a parade/show and shine.

I'm only asking because, even though I have used both Memorial day and Labor day as iconic wheeling weekends, I have been considering moving my particular vacation off a couple weeks.

memorial day has been a big deal for about 150 years now.....

Memorial Day is a United States federal holiday observed on the last Monday of May (May 30 in 2011). Formerly known as Decoration Day, it commemorates U.S. soldiers who have died while in the military service.[1] First enacted by former enslaved Africans to honor Union soldiers of the American Civil War

I get that it's kinda the kick off of camping season. I also get that some get paid for that day(I don't), but are there other reasons?

Don't get me wrong, I think it's kinda cool seeing all the big groups rolling in. We are usually there and set up by tuesday, so it's kind of like a parade/show and shine.

I'm only asking because, even though I have used both Memorial day and Labor day as iconic wheeling weekends, I have been considering moving my particular vacation off a couple weeks.

It's the first 3 day weekend for a lot of us since MLK day! :cheer:

But ya, the elevation thing wouldnt prob work really well as most trails climb and climb fast. I say leave em closed to June 15th. Kinda sucks, but maybe its enough time for things to dry out and not get destroyed...:booo:

It's the first 3 day weekend for a lot of us since MLK day! :cheer:

But ya, the elevation thing wouldnt prob work really well as most trails climb and climb fast. I say leave em closed to June 15th. Kinda sucks, but maybe its enough time for things to dry out and not get destroyed...:booo:

Yah, I get that. Three day weekends end up as four day ones for me. Folks come over here for vacation and don't want me pounding nails at 6AM, disturbing their peace and quiet.

I think I'll just have a big BBQ on Memorial day and go Wheelin' later in the year.

This was forwarded to me a couple of days ago. The first paragraph is the same as what Money posted, after that there more info....or not. Mostly just justifications....errr.....explanations.:redneck:

USDA Forest Service
Okanogan-Wenatchee N.F. Fact Sheet

Topic: NACHES RANGER DISTRICT PROPOSED SEASONAL TRAIL CLOSURES

Issue:
In response to public and internal concerns, Naches District Ranger Irene Davidson is considering a closure for trails on the district from December 15, 2011, through June 15, 2012.
Typically, May is a month in which much of the precipitation on the Naches Ranger District comes in the form of rain. With snow in the high country and the effects of rain in lower elevations, trail use by motorized and some non-motorized users (bicycles and stock users) can impact trails at this time of the year. In addition, efforts by Forest Service employees and user groups to clear these trails earlier in the season to have them ready for summer use has potential to increase impacts. The more impacts in the early season, the harder it is for trail crews to clear and repair trails. This leaves trails damaged going into the summer season, with volunteers and crews playing catch up. Crews often do not complete trail rehabilitation caused by early season use so work is carried over to the next season, compounding needed repairs.

Questions and Answers:
Using trails in the past has not been a problem so why the move to close trails now? The result of past use, particularly during early spring snow melt, compounded by extremely heavy use especially over the Memorial Day weekend, has created a backlog of maintenance work. In order to repair damage cause by overuse and prevent further damage, it

All makes sense to me. :awesomework: I fully support and approve of the Dec 15th - June 15th closure of these FS ranger districts' to all motorized 4x4 access.

For whatever reason, hordes of once-a-year wheelers tend to invade the Shoestring area for Memorial Day. IMO, more damage is done to the area during that one 3 day weekend than the rest of the year combined. The terrain is frequently quite gooey that time of year and many of the rigs are poorly equipped. It seems the white trash nation (no offense meant to Trashy) feels it's cool to create new bypasses and spin donuts in the meadows.

I'm just calling it as I see it.:cool:

For whatever reason, hordes of once-a-year wheelers tend to invade the Shoestring area for Memorial Day. IMO, more damage is done to the area during that one 3 day weekend than the rest of the year combined. The terrain is frequently quite gooey that time of year and many of the rigs are poorly equipped. It seems the white trash nation (no offense meant to Trashy) feels it's cool to create new bypasses and spin donuts in the meadows.

I agree!:awesomework:

Last year I saw this exact same thing.:booo: I went and talked to the person and took several pictures and gave them to the proper people.:awesomework:

We were there last year and plan on going again this year... if its open. I look forward to spending the weekend wheeling with family and friends along with meeting new ones out on the trail.

There were a few dumb shits we ran into but for the most part it was a fun trip. How many of you actualy ran 676 and saw the "Kaner Trail Massacre"? It was muddy but nothing more than normal day at Elbe or Evans in the winter. For the most part everyone we ran into on those trails through out the weekend were in clubs or small groups doing the same thing we were, out enjoying the trails. We Ran into a sheriff on a logging road that warned a few people to get mud flaps but he was real nice about it, just out making sure everyone was being safe and having a good time. I guess I fail to see why the web-wheeling "comunity" has turned this into a tail of total destruction and abuse to the trails we all enjoy? Even going as far as to stand behind keeping them closed longer? Do you realy think that pushing the opening date back will fix things...think of all the other areas that will just take on that much more if they do? Im not saying that the area didn't see a lot of heavy traffic and some abuse but how is that different from any other trail system on a holiday weekend?