• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Narrowest tcase?

junkyard jim

I'm planning to put an AW4 in my AMC Spirit, but rather than buck up the floor to put a NP208 in, I was thinking a D20 from an Early Bronco would be a better fit. I thought a tcase I looked at a long time ago was a D20 and it was about 1/2 the size of the NP case?
Could it have been something else? Or is there something better? (maybe Toyota has a LH drop case that could be grafted on?)
It doesn't even really need a low range as it will be mostly for going to my cabin and long cruises.

I'm planning to put an AW4 in my AMC Spirit, but rather than buck up the floor to put a NP208 in, I was thinking a D20 from an Early Bronco would be a better fit. I thought a tcase I looked at a long time ago was a D20 and it was about 1/2 the size of the NP case?
Could it have been something else? Or is there something better? (maybe Toyota has a LH drop case that could be grafted on?)
It doesn't even really need a low range as it will be mostly for going to my cabin and long cruises.

Ford had a model 21 dana case single speed driver side drop. Might be fun to adapt though. I still have a couple of the early bronco model 20s kicking around if your interested in one but that might be a tough one to adapt as well:eeek:

Hi All:

I dunno, but maybe one of those light-duty t-cases from like the Bronco II ?

Good luck!

Alan

The problem I see is the AW4 is 6 bolt round and anything cept a D300 or a NP aluminium case will be "Texas" pattern or something wierd.

That being said I'd love to see it. Maybe a fulltime case from a ZJ or hi-end XJ?

Hi All:

I dunno, but maybe one of those light-duty t-cases from like the Bronco II ?

Good luck!

Alan

Did they have anything smaller than the D20? I'd rather not butcher the floor more than I have to. Aside from flex in the motor/trans mounts, the front driveline only needs enough room to rotate next to the trans. The front diff attaches to the motor and engine crossbar so it's solid.

Divorced tcases bounce around too much. Don't think a 4 cyl case from a 720 will last long with over 250 HP from the motor.

Divorced tcases bounce around too much. Don't think a 4 cyl case from a 720 will last long with over 250 HP from the motor.

Actually, they are quite tough, many people run them in front of V8's with no problems. They are a gear driven transfer case, and quite rugged.

Did they have anything smaller than the D20?

Oh, I dunno. Probably about the same size. They are a 5 bolt star pattern though...

IMG_01541.jpg