• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

new trans or t-case gears, or BOTH?

The coupler comes with the adapter so thats taken care of. What you'll still need is the input for the second case....

The standard bearing has 12 balls, the marlin has 2 rows of 16 each... MUCH stronger and more stable. Doubleing the bearings still isn't as stable as the Marlin bearing... And if you'll notice everyone stuff is compared to Marlins... No one says it is stronger than marlins... :; Besides $50 in price difference and the 10* clocking to flatten your belly is way worth it. :D
no, i need the 23 spline coupler for my tcase adapter. i dont want to run the 21 spline input(which i have now)....i know as is, its just waiting to break.

input for the 2nd case? now u got me confused.

****..now i remember why i wasnt gonna go dual cases...it was going to be MORE expensive than the 4speed.

i wonder how long the 21 pline would survive? thatd save me a BUNCH of money.

What spline count do you have on the case you have in the truck NOW? 21 spline? If so keep it, the first case doesn't see much abuse especially from an auto. You'll need a dual adapter at the minimum and a 21 spline case in the back would hold up just fine for the snow and whatnot. In all honesty if you're not planning on beating the fawk out of it I'd just toss a mco7-10r in it with a 21 spline rear case and run it...

If you want to swap up to 4.7's later just buy another adapter in the 23 spline flavor and 23 spline 4.7's and sell off the old stuff. :;

What spline count do you have on the case you have in the truck NOW? 21 spline? If so keep it, the first case doesn't see much abuse especially from an auto. You'll need a dual adapter at the minimum and a 21 spline case in the back would hold up just fine for the snow and whatnot. In all honesty if you're not planning on beating the fawk out of it I'd just toss a mco7-10r in it with a 21 spline rear case and run it...

If you want to swap up to 4.7's later just buy another adapter in the 23 spline flavor and 23 spline 4.7's and sell off the old stuff. :;
yeh, its a 21 now. you think it'll live huh? it hasnt broke yet...so i guess.... i was just thinking, once doubled up, itd have even more pressure against it.

if i dont upgrade to 23sp, itd be MUCH cheaper. hell, i could do it pretty much any time. guess i better go dig out my spare cases.:awesomework:

i really dont like the auto..but with low enough gears, i would have ULTIMATE control....so it might just stay in there afterall. oh the decisions!

thanks again man. and to the others at the beginning of this thread, that tried pointing me to dual cases.

Yes the front input will live. I beat the ever loing fawk out of my old v8 yota and the transfer case was seriously the ONLY thing I didn't break... Chances are I had a whole lot more engine than you do and it never cared what I did to it. Now the trans case and diffs thats another thing altogether..... :haha:

Just to stir your thinkng pot a bit more, read this... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4310.0 You'll thank me later.... :D

Yes the front input will live. I beat the ever loing fawk out of my old v8 yota and the transfer case was seriously the ONLY thing I didn't break... Chances are I had a whole lot more engine than you do and it never cared what I did to it. Now the trans case and diffs thats another thing altogether..... :haha:

Just to stir your thinkng pot a bit more, read this... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4310.0 You'll thank me later.... :D
thats good to know, the 21 will hold up.
oh, and yeh, i read that, when i started thinking about which way i would go. ive jsut been concerned witht he v8, and the 21spline...would HATE to pop that shaft while on the trail....
ive never been towed off the trail yet, and i dont want to be
Go with the duals Nevada you will be much happier. This is the best way to spend your cash for now.:awesomework:
yeh, it looks like thats the way im going...for now.(i still want a manual)
my reasoning for not wanting to do it originally, was the cost... since i thought i NEEDED to upgrade the input shaft, and coupler to 23 spline. making it the more expensive option.

and yet again, thanks guys.

riley..u got a build thread on ur SAS? ive seen it running around, i didnt pay any attention to the front end. they 44's?

Last edited:
Ok here is my take .
I would put in the Np435 .I have this setup in my CJ and it was one of the best mods I have ever done. For your toy the AA part # is 50-5804 for the 21-spline case. The only 23 spline kit they offer is for a 86-87 turbo 4cyl transfer . The kit comes with a new output shaft for your trans so since your going to tear the tranny down you might as well rebuild it. When I did mine I got a complete bearing a seal kit from Border parts in Cali there # is 1800-533-0171 It was about $60 last time I got one . BTW I would be happy to help you with that NP435s are very simple to rebuild.If you go this route I dont believe you will need dual cases . But it would be cool ..LOL On the dual cases The only thing I see is on the AA adapt for your app, You have to make sure the rear case is a top shifting style (79-83 carb or a 85-86 efI T.C.) I dont know anything about the Marlin stuff but everyone that has it seems to love it.

Now if I were to go with a juice box this is the only way I would run it
and mind you this is what I did with my 300hp sbc toy.
1.custom low stall converter
2.Manual valve body(for control and engine breaking)
3. B&M stage 2 shift kit (durablilty and strong solid shifting)
I didnt do a twin case but It would be a good idea with a auto.
#1&3 would also help with cooling off your tranny fluids .

Ok here is my take .
I would put in the Np435 .I have this setup in my CJ and it was one of the best mods I have ever done. For your toy the AA part # is 50-5804 for the 21-spline case. The only 23 spline kit they offer is for a 86-87 turbo 4cyl transfer . The kit comes with a new output shaft for your trans so since your going to tear the tranny down you might as well rebuild it. When I did mine I got a complete bearing a seal kit from Border parts in Cali there # is 1800-533-0171 It was about $60 last time I got one . BTW I would be happy to help you with that NP435s are very simple to rebuild.If you go this route I dont believe you will need dual cases . But it would be cool ..LOL On the dual cases The only thing I see is on the AA adapt for your app, You have to make sure the rear case is a top shifting style (79-83 carb or a 85-86 efI T.C.) I dont know anything about the Marlin stuff but everyone that has it seems to love it.
yep, the price of getting the 435 is whats holding me back. i think for NOW, i'll do the dual cases.

Now if I were to go with a juice box this is the only way I would run it
and mind you this is what I did with my 300hp sbc toy.
1.custom low stall converter
2.Manual valve body(for control and engine breaking)
3. B&M stage 2 shift kit (durablilty and strong solid shifting)
I didnt do a twin case but It would be a good idea with a auto.
#1&3 would also help with cooling off your tranny fluids .
its got a healthy shift kit. VERY firm shifts. and a "stock" converter, i think its 800rpms... and the trans..has GOOD engine breaking. if ur not careful, it WILL put you into the windshield.

so..for now, dual cases. in the near future, the 4speed will go in.:awesomework:

marlin crawler has been ordered, and should be here today!:awesomework:

Last edited:
[/QUOTE] riley..u got a build thread on ur SAS? ive seen it running around, i didnt pay any attention to the front end. they 44's?[/QUOTE]

No, no build thread on the SAS some jackoff erased the pics, and yes they are 44's