• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

OBA plumbing

86tuning

I'm in the 'parts gathering' stage of my OBA system on my 84 Toy pickup.

already got:
- stock (denso?) 22R a/c compressor
- stock compressor bracket w/ tensioner pulley

still to get:
- pressure switch, moisture trap, fittings
- hoses, hard piping
- tank, brackets, safety valve

Plans:
- OBA, w/ pressure switch at 90-120psi or thereabouts
- air fitting inside bed of pickup
- small air tank tucked out of harms way
- functional spare tire carrier

I understand the vane-type compressor lubrication requirements, and want to run a small-ish air tank ahead of the left-rear tire up in the bedside.

What does everyone run for plumbing? I'd like to use metallic piping for best condensation extraction, and avoid nylon hose, although it meets the pressure specs.

How about 3/8" or 1/2" aluminum piping, commonly used for fuel plumbing? 250psi rating.

redblue_lines_lg.jpg

http://www.russellperformance.com/mc/fuel/adapters.shtml
http://www.russellperformance.com/mc/fuel/lines.shtml

What might be some easy to install and more economical alternatives? Steel brake/fuel piping would work, but could corrode...but the oil-mist from the compressor should slow that down a lot.

TIA.

Last edited:
if you're using it for lockers I would recommend using regular DOT nylon hose. There are simple push to connect fittings for repairing any damaged lines which means you dont need any tools except maybe a knife to clean up the line where its damaged. fixing hard lines out on the trail doesnt sound like any fun to me.

if you're using it for lockers I would recommend using regular DOT nylon hose.

Not for lockers, but rather high volume tire inflation, and perhaps some airtool use. Drying the air and getting rid of residual oil is more of a concern for me, so I'll probably be running one of those dryer thingies on the outlet.

As for hard piping repairs, it can't be any worse than trying to repair a busted brake pipe :eek: so I'm not really worried about that.

IMO a locker doesn't need an engine powered compressor ;)

Thanks for the tips though.