• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Onboard air

I am running a Q Industries Q89 Dually compressor that is hard mounted under the hood. It is armed by the A/C switch (since my truck doesn't have A/C anymore) using a Viair 110/150 pressure switch and a 2.5 gallon tank with a water separator mounted under my truck bed. Works pretty well for the tires but 37's need a lot of air so it still takes a little while. I have an older Powertank PT10 as backup and for air tools mainly (backup since the CO2 doesn't want to come out when it is below freezing):flipoff:

EDIT: I have a York 210 sitting in the garage waiting for me to fab up a bracket and swap out the v-belt clutch for a ribbed one and plumb it in.

Last edited:
The YORK compressor is the older style factory AC pump widely used thru the 60s/70s/early 80s. It's still reasonably available at any wrecking yard (or can be bought new still) and is a piston style compressor with an oil bath crank style. Works great when mounted upright. Works well when mounted lay'd down - but will require an oil seperator if the high pressure (output) is on top of the low pressure (input) fitting. [I think I got that correct, but might be 180* off]

This style system can be bought NEW from Kilby Enterprises, and in my lowly opinion is the absolutely BEST system sold today. You should do a little searching on KILBY's website, and you'll learn quite a bit.

I've ran Kilby style settups on my CJ, YJ, and now my TJ with great results.

The smaller Viaair systems, don't produce near the volume of air, require lots of electrical amps, and seem to not hold up all that well.

The smaller ARB pumps suffer an even worse fate

The airtanks need refilled ($$) and are an extra item to carry.

my 2 cents

The YORK compressor is the older style factory AC pump widely used thru the 60s/70s/early 80s. It's still reasonably available at any wrecking yard (or can be bought new still) and is a piston style compressor with an oil bath crank style. Works great when mounted upright. Works well when mounted lay'd down - but will require an oil seperator if the high pressure (output) is on top of the low pressure (input) fitting. [I think I got that correct, but might be 180* off]

This style system can be bought NEW from Kilby Enterprises, and in my lowly opinion is the absolutely BEST system sold today. You should do a little searching on KILBY's website, and you'll learn quite a bit.

I've ran Kilby style settups on my CJ, YJ, and now my TJ with great results.

The smaller Viaair systems, don't produce near the volume of air, require lots of electrical amps, and seem to not hold up all that well.

The smaller ARB pumps suffer an even worse fate

The airtanks need refilled ($$) and are an extra item to carry.

my 2 cents

X2 :awesomework:

My CJ originally was an AMC 304 V8, and came with York brackets from the factory. So the York was a natural choice

My YJ came with the 4.0 HO (inline 6), and came with the rotary style compressor for AC. I dumped all the AC stuff, but kept the compressor to use as an air pump. However, after blowing up three of the compressors due to insufficient oiling, I switched out the brackets on the 4.0 with the brackets from an earlier CJ's 4.2 engine, and went to a York. Then, when I did the motor swap to a V8, I kept the York, and to this day it works great.

The rotary style compressors do work for quite a while. When they blow, it's typically the internal seals that fail, and the compressor spins, but no air pressure is produced. You can buy replacements at Pull-A-Part in Tacoma for cheap if you need 'em.

http://www.kilbyenterprises.com/products.htm

I like the air con setups,looks easy enough and with 38.5 boggers i dont want to be screwing around with some hokey p.o.s. trying to air up. thanks for your replies/input. i will keep researching parts.

My own custom set-up with the Large ARB compressor and a Q-Maxx from costco.

100_2486.jpg

100_2487.jpg

100_2489.jpg

I have a York 210 and a 5 gallon tank. I can fill my 37x13 Iroks from 7 to 30 PSI in about 2 minutes at an idle. Faster if I rev the engine up. Ive got a water/oil separator, check valve, and pressure switch under the hood, with a relief valve mounted in the tank under the bed.

~T.J.

Engine mounted compressors are fawesome.

I have been running a Vi-Air 400C for a while now. It draws A LOT of amps from the battery. I have it hooked up to a 2.5 gallon tank. It has been used hard for the past 4 years and never skipped a beat.

When I was DD my rig at the end of a trail run it took about 10 minutes to air my 33 inch tires up from 5 to 30.

I used it many times for airing up everyones tires and it did just fine. Have used it to reseat beads and the like.

They do work, but as I stated at the beginning of this post, an engine mounted compressor is WAY faster. 10 to 20 CFM to my Vi-Air's measley 3 CFM.

I have run stock sanden rotary compressors with basic setup on both of my Jeeps with the 4.0, they've worked good for me. On both, I was in somewhat of a hurry to get it working and so I pretty much wired up a pressure switch, gauge and an easily removeable filter on the inlet side of the compressor (for adding oil every once in a while)... no inline oiler, seperator, safety valves, tanks or anything of the like. The pressure switch was set at 85 psi give or take a few, and I was able to air up tires within a reasonable amount of time, and have reset multiple beads with them. This setup won't run air tools, but it did a fine job for everything else I needed it for.

I just recently swapped the same setup onto my 4runner with a factory rotary A/C pump and have had similar results, although it doesn't seem like it's as fast to air up tires... though it may simply be the cold weather and frozen valve stems when snow wheeling.

For bang for the buck, you can't beat the factory A/C compressor. I wire mine up so that they are easily swappable, but I've never actually had to swap one out due to burning it up. They seem to work adequately as long as you keep them oiled. I just spray some air tool oil in the inlet side every few uses.

It helps to have a way to idle the engine up some when using the compressor, especially on a toyota 4 cylinder, as both setups pump out more CFM with a little faster idle.

Having said that, the minute I get my hands on a free or extremely cheap York piston style compressor, I will be re-working the OBA on my Jeep to include that, and a tank at the least.

Last edited:
So a rig rolls 100 yards down a hill and looses 3 beads.just putting that out there to think about

I figure in your example you are implying the vehicle ended up in a spot where it couldnt be driven to so my air line could reach it. If that were the case, I do have a hi-lift, a lug wrench, and a winch. If it were a situation where I was the ONLY truck around with OBA and no CO2 systems, you could always pull the wheels off, winch them up the hill, seat them, and roll em back down. That is, if things were "desperate".

Obviously, a CO2 system is far superior in this instance however due to its portability.

~T.J.

So a rig rolls 100 yards down a hill and looses 3 beads.just putting that out there to think about

The answer I was going to give: hopefully he has compressor-based onboard air system as a backup, once he realizes his co2 tank is almost empty and only has enough to reset 1 bead and fill the tire up to trail pressure. :redneck:

I didn't think of it the other way around... but if you're going out wheeling places where you're going to possibly roll and/or simply unseat a bead, and you don't have SOME source of air... or are relying on others to provide air for you... well that's just dumb. Been there, done that... never again.

Latest posts