• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

opinions/ estimates from building folks

jrhall

Rock bouncing mud whomper
Ive got the land, the lack of debt, and a damn good credit score as well as well paying consistent job. this is what im wanting to build around this time next year

anyone have any rough educated guesses on cost- from beginning to end? as well is there anyone here that builds these?

Attachments

• 11076190_378862642317407_8578941072201799632_n.jpg
    11076190_378862642317407_8578941072201799632_n.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 128
Man, that's pretty sweet but the shop area looks like its going to be pretty small compared to the living quarters. What are your plans for it? Is it going to be for guests or a primary residence?

If I had to guess I would say upwards of 60K. I may be on the low end too.

Alot of the trim work and interior I can do... the pad, foundation, plumbing ,septic,electricity, insulation and walls...

Primary living quaters. I'm single, no wife or kids With no plans of such. 1/3 shop and 2/3 living. I don't ever plan to wheel again. Just a place to park tractor, atv, random ect

Take it or leave it.....save and pay cash. Patience and a lack of mortgage will make you happier.

Maybe I missed the i won't wheel again story....maybe it isn't the place. Either way, good luck.

Well over 100k. I'd say closer to $120k. I built a 96x40 in the last two years.

I'd have to agree with truck aholic and say
60 to 70k do everything you can yourself and do a lot of shopping around before you pull the trigger. Talk to different people. I'm building a house now and have had good luck with getting some deals. My driveway crosses a creek so I went to the county shop and they GAVE ME 2 used 36" d shaped culverts that run 1000 a piece ! I had my foundation dug (crawlspace) and shot for 300 bucks, just by talkin to guys at work and them hooking me up. Just do your shopping!

I have been looking at these barndominums (what they are called out west) for about two years. First advice I am going to give you and maybe someone else will chime in but I cannot find anyone that will finance one under a typical mortgage. All of them see it as a fire risk although a typical garage attached home is more liable to burn your house down.

The estimates I have got which I think is a little bigger than what you are looking at for turn-key is in the $150's. I used the website I am going to post below to kind of design what I thought I wanted. The pics below are pretty close to what I was looking for.

http://www.wdmb.com/Texas_Barndominiums.aspx?showlink=yyes

2008sw3.jpg

1zlg0gl.gif

Granite tops and custom woodwork for 60k, with plumbing, electric and HVAC. Get that in writing and build one on my land too.

Even doing a lot yourself, it is still spendy. What's the dimensions? Maybe you are shooting for smaller than what's in my head.

Was thinking 40x60 at the largest... but could manage with a 30x50... I don't need a ton of room and still be happy. Id like around 900 square foot living quarters aND the rest shop if that is making sense And a large front covered front porch.

I've looked some online at steel building kits. The kits are very affordable imo. The dirt work is simple as well well for getting equipment. I just need someone qualified to lead the project From beginning to end. And the end being, the shop finished. And then I can handle the interior I believe.

jrhall said:
Was thinking 40x60 at the largest... but could manage with a 30x50... I don't need a ton of room and still be happy. Id like around 900 square foot living quarters aND the rest shop if that is making sense.

Mine is 42x60, half shop half house.

Using those high ceiling trusses rather than traditional trusses will give you a lot more space to go "2 level" inside, good idea.

I wish I had used high ceiling trusses over the shop, and attic trusses over the house part, and put the staircase to the attic in the shop.

I paid $30k for my building fully constructed with bubble wrap insulation, 8 windows, 2 man doors, 16' &12' garage doors, and stud center wall.

Spent another $30K on everything else, I had the HVAC and kitchen cabinets/countertops installed, did everyhing else myself with the help of friends and family.

I also have a regular mortgage on mine, no problems with the bank I used.

lowbudgetjunk said:
Bubble wrap? Does that come with an R value? :dunno:

It's like r3 I think?

That's just the exterior, huge sheets screwed between the lathe/banding and metal. I put 2x6 stud walls between the posts and pink fiberglass insulation around the exterior of the "house", fiberglass insulation in the 2x4 stud wall between the house and shop side, and blew 12" of shredded paper insulation on "top" of the house in the attic. The house part is essentially an insulated box inside of an insulated pole barn.

jrhall said:
Thank you. This is what I was wondering . do you happen to have pics if you don't mind.

There are some pics in the "garage and shops" thread.

We are getting carpet and sheet vinyl floors put down this week, I'll have new pics after. When I originally built the house it was a bachelor pad and I rented 2 rooms to college buddies, so I expoy painted the floors in the common living areas and put indoor/outdoor carpet in the bedrooms. Now several years later, I have no roommates, married for a couple years and we have a lil feller on the way, the wife wants "real floors"

Well it looks like a big take away here is that it can cost as much as you want it to cost but the base price is probably around 60K. You saw a couple people throw out numbers like 90, 100, 120, & 150. Just depends on how deep your pockets are and how nice you want it to be. TBItoy's numbers are exactly what I was expecting . . . 30K for the building and 30K to finish it out.

Re:

Mine was built in a city with 600amp electricity and insulation for miles. My estimate might have been a little high, but would be spot on within a city with building codes and all the **** that goes with it.

I'd still err on the side of caution and expect 75 if you think 60.

Kel Lawrence