• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

opinions/ estimates from building folks

I'll be watching how this goes. This is great! You're ahead of me, because you atleast have land! But we're in the same boat, no wife/kids and ain't planning on them ANY time soon. Not loaded down with debt. Although, I think our "house" will be different, since I've lived in my RV the last two years, I know it's EASILY doable. I want a shop with potentially a corner cot, shop sink, couch, TV. Not really looking for living quarters since those will be IN the RV.

Something very close to this:

I want mirror windows that look out on to the porch and in to the front yard, that I can look out of the RV, and in to my front yard.

I've been looking for land for 2 years in Shelby County. It's been tough. Not a single city ordinance close to my work allows this type of structure in a neighborhood, so I've recently started looking outside of the city limits for 1-5 acre properties. Shelby County is the most expensive in the state, and that royally sucks for me. So you are way ahead of the curve by just having the land.

Re:

lowbudgetjunk said:
Mine was built in a city with 600amp electricity and insulation for miles. My estimate might have been a little high, but would be spot on within a city with building codes and all the **** that goes with it.

I'd still err on the side of caution and expect 75 if you think 60.

Kel Lawrence

Forgot to add that I had 10k of land clearing (4 acres), dirt work (pad, 500' driveway), gravel (10? Loads), septic system, etc

I only have 200 amp service, and I'm out in the sticks of a very unpopulated county (but only 8 miles from Cookeville, which is in another county)

The only permit I had to get was a septic permit from the health dept.

I also cut the right-of-way for the power company myself.

Yeah I've got 150 acres. I finally got it paid off this past year. My dad ended up having a stroke last May so I moved back home and sold my house. Which I turned and bought land connecting to my 100 acres we already had. For those that have parked at my farm when riding hale mtn, you know the lay of the land. I've got a good 8 acres of pasture that I can build on. I already have power and 2 temp poles set. I'm 25 miles from anything important and will not have to deal with near as many codes as I would if I lived in the city.

Hey JR are you wanting post frame or metal frame building? That will be the large difference from Kel's # to TBItoy's . I believe Kels building is a full steel red iron building and I believe TBItoy's is a post frame building. I can get you a package quote on shell materials for whichever one you would like.

I believe post frame is more in my budget. However if you can provide some pics and ideas... there's several watching this thread. Looking at 40x60

I built a 40x60 with a extra outside covered bay all steel building with insulation erected on site for 25,000 then 5,000 for concrete I formed and did site work myself 5,000 for 4 roll up doors 12x12 then 5,000 for everything else plumbing, electrical, lights and walls around the shop

Don't forget today's intrest rate, it can't go anywhere but up. Materials are priced fair and intrest is low. You don't see that combo very often. I would say this is the time to build. APR in 3% you only get .9% for your money why try to save ? Banks are dying to loan money to good custermers. My .02

I wouldn't think the number would be substantially different between wood post frame and metal frame. I know it would be a little cheaper, but everything else required is still the same. I'd go all metal if in the budget...Hard to beat durability.

When I built my little shop at my house (20x24), it was gonna cost about the same to do wood framing (like a house) as it was for full metal (with the red steel perlins or whatever you call it). Could have done wood post framing with metal everything else, but decided if it wasn't gonna be framed walls, I'd rather just have all metal. Initially I wanted framed walls, vinyl siding, shingle roof, etc. to match my little house....but glad I went all metal. Don't make a **** what I do in it, never have to worry about compromising the integrity and longevity of it. Could spray it out 50 times a day if I wanted to.

I want a shop-house dammit.

zukimaster said:
A 20x24 shop is pretty big to just keep that Yama hammer in! :flipoff1:

Hey, I got a John Deere lawn mower that occasionally needs new blades and batteries! And 4 vehicles to change oil in counting the mower :****: molaugh

I built a 40x60 pole barn with a 25x60 shed laste year 14' tall. 2 36" walk doors 4 3x3 windows, 2- 12'x13' insulated garage doors with openers, sink bathroom and hot water heater and have about $55k in it. Did all elec myself and plumbing, framed bathroom up myself. Also did the ole barrel trick for septic seeing as it's just my hobby shop.