• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

ORV Tags Pros and Cons

If it's old enough it doesn't need emisions... I have a collector plate...:redneck:

I debated collector plates on the Willys, but you're supposed to have very limited mileage, use it for shows etc. Wheeling didn't really fit under the allows uses.

The price was right though!

I debated collector plates on the Willys, but you're supposed to have very limited mileage, use it for shows etc. Wheeling didn't really fit under the allows uses.

Even If I drove it to the trails I would be under the mileage allowed... Club function is one of the reasons it can be driven, whenever I wheel it's a club function...:redneck:

I know others that have had them for years on trail rigs with no issues...

My Blazer is a "RatRod"...

As dirtygoat said you can take them to "club" functions, shows and of course out for "testing". If I remember right you can put 1500 miles on a year and be just fine. I have NEVER heard of anyone's odometer being checked ever.

Farm exempt takes a good bit of paperwork to do. It is super easy to UNdo but to get it started it has to be owned by a farm and then insurance is different etc. My boss wasn't impressed when one of the guys rolled my tow rig before he gave it to me. He had only had it for about 6 months and was bitching about all the paperwork it took to do it. :haha:

Collector Vehicles say nothing about mileage....

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.18.220
(4) A collector vehicle registered under this section may only be used for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, and occasional pleasure driving.

Recreational use has been deemed a club activity and/or pleasure driving. As long as you aren't charging to take people out wheeling, or using your vehcile for commercial use, its fine.

(4) A collector vehicle registered under this section may only be used for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, and occasional pleasure driving.

Recreational use has been deemed a club activity and/or pleasure driving. As long as you aren't charging to take people out wheeling, or using your vehcile for commercial use, its fine.

They told me different at the DMV...:eeek:

But yeah, the club thing is dead on...:redneck:

Well that would explain why I haven't heard of anyone being cited then eh? :D

Good info, might have to change my 78 over too. :cheer:

I have been running collector plates for several years. I have never been harassed on or off the trail.

there are different rules for collector plates and horseless carraige plates:

i believe for horseless carraige there is a mileage limit of less than 500 miles per year and must attend at least one show or event.....some other very forgiving rules also, like no windshield required but driver must wear eye protection, something about no fenderwells/mudflaps but limits driving on dry pavement only....:rolleyes:

how would they tell there is no mile counter on the rig.....:awesomework:

i also believe the mileage limit is for road miles.....:redneck:

i consider wheeling an event, as i do KOH.

another note on the ORV tags.

On my 82 CJ i was facing smog so i ORV tagged it. i had been lying about address prior to that but they are tightning that by requiring a bill in your name at the address to do this. so i was plagued with guilt. so i ORV'd it and gave up my plates.

after the next two years went by the jeep is now old enough to not need smog anymore. so i tried to get my plates back, seems easy. just get it inspected by WSP to verify the VIN number only.

WSP refused to even look at my VIN number till the vehicle met every requirement for street legal....:eeek:

i verified with WSP in olympia and they are only required to look at the VIN and none of the other stuff matters however the officer refused.

so im faced with a dilema: get in the WSP officer ass and call out his boss and force him to do his job....or not.

i eventually found an agent at a license place i was able to bullshit into giving me plates back without the WSP insp so i am plated again.

long story short.... keep your plates if you at all possibly can.:D

I don't understand the logic and reasoning why the state has not made it simple to double register like they do in oregon...

This is NOT true. Both my YJ & TJ are double registered. I had no problem at all. Just went to DMV with my current street reg, asked to get ORV tags also, and Voila!

I'm not sure I like the added $20 per year, but what the heck, it's only money.

I have 4 jeep titles, a 97 TJ, a 92 YJ, a 91 YJ and a 45 Ford 'Jeep'. The 45 Ford "Jeep" is titled with permanent 1945 plates as a collector's vehicle. The only parts I have for this rig is the vin tags, the collector's plate, and the permanent collector's registration & title.

If I ever build a buggy, I'm using these plates and title. In 1945, brake lights, mirrors, fenders, etc were much less restrictive. You only have to build the vehicle to meet the correct year. Plus, no emissions in 1945.

This is NOT true. Both my YJ & TJ are double registered. I had no problem at all. Just went to DMV with my current street reg, asked to get ORV tags also, and Voila!

I'm not sure I like the added $20 per year, but what the heck, it's only money.

I have heard of folks doing it but its not an easy deal from what I have heard here. Some are able to and some are not--thats not easy by my standards. In Oregon you can go to a store and get your ORV tags(just like getting a FS pass).

I have 4 jeep titles, a 97 TJ, a 92 YJ, a 91 YJ and a 45 Ford 'Jeep'. The 45 Ford "Jeep" is titled with permanent 1945 plates as a collector's vehicle. The only parts I have for this rig is the vin tags, the collector's plate, and the permanent collector's registration & title.

If I ever build a buggy, I'm using these plates and title. In 1945, brake lights, mirrors, fenders, etc were much less restrictive. You only have to build the vehicle to meet the correct year. Plus, no emissions in 1945.

the rule of restored vehicles is : it must resemble original vehicle. that's wide open to interpretation in my book.....

I have heard of folks doing it but its not an easy deal from what I have heard here. Some are able to and some are not--thats not easy by my standards. In Oregon you can go to a store and get your ORV tags(just like getting a FS pass).

costs less and lasts two years and is good in washington.:cool: that's how i roll in the jeep.:D

Wash & Oregon have respricosity agreements. Oregon's ORV tags are valid here, Washington's ORV tags are valid in Oregon.

If you have a problem with double registration, just (politely) explain that you are travelling to the Oregon sand dunes, and you need the Washington ORV tags to comply with Oregon's laws. Shouldn't have a problem.

It sounds like the over all is keep the plates if possible.

my 4runner started as and registerd as a 22re. My 3.0 passed emmisions last time and should do so just fine again and they even ran it as a 4cly.

I was looking into this because of the over all price breaks and also what is the maximum ticket you can recieve for an ORV on a road? what is the maximum ticket for a less then street legal vehical(think picky cop, no flaps, missing some lights etc etc)?

I am just trying to limit my posible fines for running on a road here and there.