• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Paint protector?

Eddyj

So I bought me a new truck. Unlike most one ton DRW owners I actually use mine for real work. Well I f'ed up and bought a black one. It's a dodge with the huge duel fenders. I've seen some clear stick on stuff for high end cars has any one tried it on a truck? Also I thought about rhino lining the tops but don't want it to look like crap.
The local truck accessories guy said he would look into it but has never had any experience with either.

I would look into the clear stuff. I've never had the outside of a truck done in rhino lining, but I've seen a lot that have, mud and other things after awhile, will stain it and look like ****. Just my 2 cents.

Eddyj said:
I wonder if you could get a smooth line X

I sprayed bed liners for H&H for a while and prepped for line X for a little while. The first coat is kinda smooth, then you add a texture. They all fade and the only thing they will do to make it look better is paint over it. Not a good option in my opinion.

Plasty dip is the most amazing product on the face of the earth. If you want a smooth flat black, or you could even put a little sheen to it with the glossafier. I'm telling you is the best product. It can take a beating, it's self-leveling for the most part so you don't have to worry about it running. Just put it on thick and I will bill off whenever you want in one piece pretty much. Just at least buy one can and try it. Really is good stuff. No prep work , other than washing it wiping off .. Not to mention it it's gets dirty or scratched, just gotta speay whatever Ya want. Again no prep work. But remember the more codes the easier it pills off when you get ready. I will not peel off until you start peeling around the edge when ready. I use it on my wheels and bead lock rings. Also any of the black on my jeep. Just tried Eddie. So it may even work for your nuts and bolt. Hahaa

either the clear stuff you speak of (works great, but need the higher quality stuff so it doesn't yellow) or do a wrap. a wrap is simple and be changed anytime. maintenance is simple. not cheap though

I opted for a wrap on my buggy so I could fix nasty scratches easily and also change patterns/colors instead of repainting.

I would plasti dip the top of the fenders to begin with.

It'll only cost a couple bucks and will peel off easy if you don't like it or it don't work like you wanted.

The clear protector stuff is a bitch to get off once it gets old, like other plastics it gets brittle.

Find a place to wrap it same color as truck. Make them get it right before you commit to having it wrapped. But really unless you are Shaq I don't see you using the sides to do anything. My brother is 6'5" and keeps a step stool in the bad to get in and out. Those trucks are stupid tall and wide.

Guys I'm digging all the suggestions. I've got my rhino plasti-dipped. It's not a bad ideal.
The vinyl will fade considering it is pointed straight up.
It is also a 4x4 which puts the bed up pretty high. The truck gets loaded regularly with hose and wire over the side. I know in a perfect world you guys drive your own truck and have a step stool, in my world my employees drive my truck more than I do. They are used for work, beds overloaded and emptied weekly. Bottom line my last 3 trucks were white and still you could see they were muffed up.
I'll probaly spray can plasti-dip on them until I find a better solution.

My boss has a motorhome and he had some of this clear vinyl looking stuff put on and is guaranteed for life. I will try to find out what the product is called. He had it put on the front and under the hand rail at the door where you go in to protect from scratches and other things. He had a company take off the old stuff and they used a steam machine to get it off. Maybe you can try out your local camper dealer.

I have 3M mask on the front of the motorhome. I have hit it and damaged it with a pressure washer, have to be careful. I also got some on the Solo Buggy where my foot drags entering and exiting and also where my left foot rests when pushing the door open. It has worked okay at best. It has marked with my shoes, but the paint is in good shape. If you are rubbing somewhere hard enough to hurt the paint, you will mar the 3M mask as well. I kind of see it like I do factory floor mats. Use them the entire time you have the vehicle just to give the second owner new carpet. Pretty ludicrous is this throw away society.

Funny you mentioned floor mats, I'm anal about my personal vehicle, I got a Z71 Tahoe thats got 2 sets of floor mats in it, so my factory floor mats have never been stepped on, and I was thinking the same thing the other day, take super good care of it, just for someone to **** it up in the future.