• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

polarity switch

Fordzuki

Zuk Hoarder
Ever since I moved the radiator to the back, I've switched polarity on the cooling fan depending on the season. For winter, I'd have the fan pushing through the radiator into the passenger area. For summer, I'd flip the wires to pull the air out the back... it seems to work out pretty good, and keep the rig cool regardless of whether the fan is pushing or pulling..
Now, I've been just swapping the wires back at the fan, it's wired with weatherproof male/female spade connectors. But what I'd like to do is wire it to a switch, which would probably be an on/off/on switch? Anybody know how I would go about wiring this up?

You could do it with a double pole, single throw switch (DPST) or if you wanted a center off use the double pole, double throw switch (DPDT).

Either way you need one with 6 terminals on the back. The center set of terminals would be your "input", the outer sets would be your outputs. Just wire the outputs opposite.

Atleast that is how it works in my brain right now. Make sense to you? The biggest step it going to be to make sure you get the right switch, the rest should be easy/intuitive.

Current reverse with two bosch relays. Used for power windows and power door locks and in lots of alarm features.

I use them all the time to build harnesses for TRD Elocker actuators.

I prefer them to a DPST switch because the relays last longer and are able to be pocketed at ANY wrecking yard for free. DPST switches are very LARGE too and sometimes hard to mount in a dashboard.

This should get ya covered.

images

Never use a switch especially for a sytem that typically has a decent current draw with high current spikes on startup. Use relays.

Bosch are good depending on application(just because it says bosch does not mean its good)...

Thanks guys. I knew there had to be a way to do it. I do have it running through a relay now, so it shouldn't be too hard to wire in another and a switch.