• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Project Rusty, turning a rusty turd into a slightly less rusty turd...

Looks great. :awesomework: Thats a good idea on the swing out rack. I've been wanting to make something like that out of the tire carrier on the LJ forever now, just never got around to it.

The 1" bolt/brass bushing seems to be the way to go, its cheap and strong. I threw about 150 lbs of junk on the rack to see how it worked with a load, it was just as smooth to open/close as it was empty. Plus its nice that you can tighten/loosen the bolt to control then tension on it.

The rack came out great. great idea:awesomework:

Thanks!

I was wanting to put a stereo in the Cruiser but haven't had the money. I came across this today, it is a Goal Zero Rock-Out 2. Its water-resistant and has bungee cords on the back for strapping it to things. It's actually pretty loud and the sound quality is surprisingly good. I got it at REI for $40 after a 20% coupon.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1396147081146.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1396147081146.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 123
REI is the spawn of the devil. 10% of your purchase goes directly to the anti access groups to keep us out of the woods.

Rigs looking great. like the swing out rack. :awesomework:

The Cruiser is pretty much ready to go. Got the CO2 tank and the Quart Crate mounted and made something to hold my phone and my new speakers. The only thing I need to do is finish the top and figure out where to mount the Hi-Lift.

What Jim said. They are bad people.

Whats your plan for getting the rig out? You going to take the whole family out to Elbe or going to do something a little less muddy first?

those old school Toyota logos are pretty sweet. Where'd you guys find them? Wouldn't really look right on the 4runner but I'd put one on the beer fridge.

Whats your plan for getting the rig out? You going to take the whole family out to Elbe or going to do something a little less muddy first?

Not sure yet. I don't want to do anything too crazy for Leia's first trip. Tahuya would probably be the best place to go, but its not really worth the money to drive out there. I'm thinking probably Elbe, but skip the Busy.

I'm still trying to figure out where I want to mount mine. My cooler for the steering system takes up most of my grill, so you wouldn't really be able to see it if I mounted it like yours.

those old school Toyota logos are pretty sweet. Where'd you guys find them? Wouldn't really look right on the 4runner but I'd put one on the beer fridge.

A guy on Mud had them made up. Check JNK-RNR's post, he posted a link.

Ya $55 is rich!!! Damn.. I may buy a today gift for myself. Long wait for a dang logo thats for sure. He needs 30 people to do a run... thats alot of folks that dont mind spending $55 on a logo.

Ya $55 is rich!!! Damn.. I may buy a today gift for myself. Long wait for a dang logo thats for sure. He needs 30 people to do a run... thats alot of folks that dont mind spending $55 on a logo.

I will take a pic of my spare one, yeah I bougt two...was rolling big in that Afghanistan deployment money...until the rest of the Fj40 broke that account wide open. They are really nice all metal badges though.

The blue part of my post was a super secret link that only those with gifted powers of toyota affinity could find. :fawkdancesmiley:

Last edited:
We went for a little drive around the feild today! She really likes her seat. I have to make a few adjustments to her harness before we hit the trail, but that's about it!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1396311547670.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1396311547670.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 143
  • uploadfromtaptalk1396311558769.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1396311558769.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 138
Not sure yet. I don't want to do anything too crazy for Leia's first trip. Tahuya would probably be the best place to go, but its not really worth the money to drive out there. I'm thinking probably Elbe, but skip the Busy.

Tahuya is supposedly having a bunch of trail work done, they've mentioned it at the last couple PNW meetings. I know they started some of it, and at some point this summer I think they are starting to re-route part of the south loop trail which will add a good chunk of mileage. You could check in the Tahuya section and see if they have any info on it.

Ended up mounting TEQ badge up on the grill, what a PITA getting my hands back behind the grill.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1396497588905.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1396497588905.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 113
So my current project was going to be installing an electric fan. I've got a direct drive flex fan on there now, but I'm tired of the thing sounding like a Cessna getting ready to take off while I'm running down the trail. When I was driving around in the feild it was so loud I couldn't hear Leia when she was trying to talk to me while driving. I grabbed a Volvo e-fan from the wrecking yard today. There is only like 2.75" from the radiator to the snout of the water pump and it is right in the middle of the radiator. I thought I could manage to make it work, but no matter where I tried it I could only get 3/4 of the fan on the radiator.

I did some looking around on Mud, looks like if I swap in a waterpump and pulley from a later model that had a fan clutch I could gain almost an inch of clearance. I found a waterpump on RockAuto for $20, the pulley will be the hard part. Used ones are hard to find, I found a company that makes new ones, but they are like $65. So I'm not sure if I'll do it or not.

So my current project was going to be installing an electric fan. I've got a direct drive flex fan on there now, but I'm tired of the thing sounding like a Cessna getting ready to take off while I'm running down the trail. When I was driving around in the feild it was so loud I couldn't hear Leia when she was trying to talk to me while driving. I grabbed a Volvo e-fan from the wrecking yard today. There is only like 2.75" from the radiator to the snout of the water pump and it is right in the middle of the radiator. I thought I could manage to make it work, but no matter where I tried it I could only get 3/4 of the fan on the radiator.

I did some looking around on Mud, looks like if I swap in a waterpump and pulley from a later model that had a fan clutch I could gain almost an inch of clearance. I found a waterpump on RockAuto for $20, the pulley will be the hard part. Used ones are hard to find, I found a company that makes new ones, but they are like $65. So I'm not sure if I'll do it or not.

What's the pulley off of Les?