• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Propane engine builds (tech, questions, advice)

i drove my rig all over rural texarkana at highway speeds, and we used to have work truck on propane, never had any probs with it.

ive road morris mtn choccolloco wind rock aetna mtn . all day rides on one tank. the wind rock ride pushes it because of so much trail time between

How's it do with cold weather riding? Been out with a few rigs when it's cold(below 20 degrees etc) that had issues on those days.

I bought a mild built 350. Guy was pulling sleds with a 79 Chevy one ton put motor in my jeep then switched to propane. Runs great. I started it at 2am at WITC think it was 29 outside. No problems rode all day on one tank. I drove the whole park, I had never been there before.

Eddyj said:
I bought a mild built 350. Guy was pulling sleds with a 79 Chevy one ton put motor in my jeep then switched to propane. Runs great. I started it at 2am at WITC think it was 29 outside. No problems rode all day on one tank. I drove the whole park, I had never been there before.

Good to hear. Maybe the two thy had issues that day were just anomalies then.

A 425 could not be easily made to flow more if at all. This mixer has been in production since the 50"s and there have been numerous well known hot rodders that would have perfected modifying it by now. Ak Miller and Don Bass are two legends that used these mixers on drag cars and boats, running at Bonneville and Pike's Peak and Baja racing. The results would not be worth it to only gain 25 cfm more.

There are not likely to be any new mixers made since the market for these mixers is somewhat limited. They were designed and created when every vehicle had a carburetor and were adapted to run on engines up to around 1995 with electronics but technology moved on to fuel injection and the electronics got more complex so we had to upgrade to propane fuel injection from 1996 on.

I have a manufacturer that had billet mixers in the past that could flow up to 900 CFM but sales were slow and the cost forced him to have to get them made in quantities of 50 or more. They were made in Australia. Even if there was a mixer that could flow more it would require twin vaporizers to feed fuel to it.